....brushes wif greatness....?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by pvduke, Dec 11, 2008.

1. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    As most of you know, I recently quit the rocks and roots and 'super-evil' LMS type trails.
    And- am starting out fresh, as an ancient rank beginner in motocross on the Orphan. Just for fun and such.

My roomie and I work for Honda. He is pal's with some very high-profile riders. Him and Travis Preston are petty close as a matter of fact. I got an invite to sit in on some practice this weekend up north from me in the high-dez.

Needless to say, this is a huge oppertunity for me to pick up some tips from a Pro, and, I'm just a bit (a LOT) nervous- to say the least, and will be on the lone Husky.

So far- the few sessions I've done on the little TC have been met with no 'brand bashing'. And everyone I've met and talked too at the track has been very nice and welcoming, esp with tips. Even curious with good things to say about 'playing different'. Wish I was more adept at MX so I could represent the brand better......fingers crossed!

I'm pretty stoked and am really looking forward to hitting it this weekend and eating some high-profile roost and making new contacts. Being a worn out old 'industry nobody', it's gonna be pretty cool as I've never done anything like this before!

I better get to scrubbing on the ol' Hoosk and getter shined up! Got new claws on the rims and a JD kit going in tonight...BOG- be gone with you!

Anyone had any 'brushes with greatness' in the saddle stories ya'd like to share?

Post 'em up!
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Being in the industry I run into famous to us people once in a while. Most in the off road world are pretty down to earth and cool people. They are just people after all, don't get siked. Meeting Emig and McGrath is cool but meeting Malcolm Smith was the one for me. He walked up to me and started asking questions. I was a little dumbfounded as i have more admiration for these kind of guys than the new MX SX heros. Malcolm, DeCoster, Hanna and the like are the ones that impress me.

You realize Preston won a 125 main SX on a Husky CR125 right? I bet there is a funny story or two there as an ice breaker. He did not even realise he had won. He is one funny dude and I loved his podium commentary, priceless.

Relax, bring your A game and have fun. :thumbsup:

3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Every person that owns a Husqvarna that I have met in person :thumbsup:
  4. rajobigguy Administrator

We were having a similar discussion on another forum and here were a couple of comments.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Lueders
    I have had the pleasure and honor of meeting and speaking with Mr. Mann and his wife on several occasions. Real soft spoken, truly happy and gracious people. Top shelf by any standards

Rajobigguy
    Same with Malcolm, one of the things that impresses me about him is that back in the day when Malcolm was at the top of his game and I was a nobody (kid throttle jockey) he would talk to me just I was one of the big boys. Simply by virtue of being part of the sport you were immediately accepted. I don't know of anyone yet that has met Malcolm and not liked him.
    Can anyone say the same thing about any of the "rock star" motorcycle heros of today?
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

Coffee: please include you're self in that group.
    :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
  6. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    Holy smokes !
    I did not know that!
    Very cool.

Thanks fer the encouragement. I hope his wrist is healed up enough to shred... if nothing else, I'm getting some tips!
  7. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    The Ultimate brush with Greatness......

Pirceless.....very nice, Dean-o.
  8. SightedN2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

9. Mercury264 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was looking at that picture just this morning.

They say you should never meet your heroes but I would dearly love to meet Malcom Smith. I have never ever heard a bad word about him from anybody. He seems a very laid back super cool guy - someone who has absolutely NOTHING to prove to anybody and just enjoys life.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you come to meet (and ride) with Mr Smith ?

BTW did anyone else see the pic of Scott Harden with a Husky shirt on, sitting on what appears to be a KTM Dakar bike on it's side ? People can (and will) read plenty into that pose I think....:D
  10. BendEuroMoto Husqvarna
    A Class

I have ridden with Doug Polen a few times now, drank with Bayliss, Hogdson, and Both Bostroms. Polen is nuts, and great to invite to a party. Bayliss is down to earth and easy to hang out with. Hogdson is a hell of a bartender.
    When I was in Italy last year, Larry Pegram was with us. I did not recognize him and though he was some salesman from another dealership and questioned why he was following us into an exclusive underground club in Milan. Turns out he is one of the nicest pro racers I have ever hung out with and ended up having him come along with us several more times.
    I won't even get into my "rock stars I have known" stories.
  11. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    'Bout the only one I think I've ever had in my life was here at work, in the Cafeteria, literally bumped into Miguel DuHamel in the lunch line....

Was my second day here. I stood there m-m-m-m-m-m,trying to say his name...he just kinda laughed and told me it was ok and went back to his conversation with another gent.

I went back to being a tool.

I've been places standing by a fence next so-and-so and didn't even know it 'till someone came up and said- 'hey, dood- don't you who that is?".
    Who- what- where? They're gone. I'm back in the dark watching a race.
    I need to read more mags or something.

ClassicCluelessnes.
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    oooooo good thread for the off topic forum.

I knew someone that was the sound engineer for the Greatful Dead :thumbsup:
  13. HuskyT Moderator

I have met Malcolm several times. But the best time was a couple of years ago ... january or February '06 .... shortly after I bought my Husky..... I was at the parts couter with my 1 1/2 year old son ( in diapers) at the time.

Malcolm walks over because he hears that I am looking for a part for my TC450. The kid behind the counter is kind of lost. Malcom comes over and tells the kid where to look , what to get and then on another item suggest a lower priced alternative that he says works even better. He asks me what I 'm riding and goes on to give me several tips and talks about some of his past exploits. He tells me he wishes more people would start riding Husky's again....

My son by about his time had let go in his diaper. The place reeked. What I didn't tell you before was that Malcolm had picked up my son and held him and talked to him the whole time that he talked to me..... I must have talked to him for a good twenty minutes. ...at quitting time. Malcolm is truly a great man and legend.... and for me, buying my first Husky was all about buying it from the "legend" ... and I got one hell of great price from them....

T
  14. HuskyT Moderator

So this is the real reason we're not riding Perris tonight...:excuseme::excuseme::excuseme:

damn you ..... saving yourself for the Paparrazzi , the glitz and the glam....

If you want to redeem yourself.... a little invite next time !!!:D:D:D

You better bring back some pics!

The fact that you are on the lone Husky means you will be sure of making it back to the pits..... That baby better be shining when you load her up!

T
  15. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    is this name drop thread??? oh man, this could get really weird.and honestly fun.quick mex story
    almost knocked Laporte off an off camber hillside single track in Mex,my line was straight up the side of the hill but the loose stuff had me gradually side slipping back down onto the cut trail,,luckily he was/is so fast he just squeezed past but just behind him Don Emler (FMF) got a good smash from yours truly and cursed me loudly,, by the time I crested Emler was a little a head of me but Laporte had all ready crossed the next valley and was heading up the next hill @300 yards away (on a beat up team green baja KX500 with bald Michelins) amazing, smooth and just rocket fast. many more from my library of adventures.... our hobby/sport is very cool for this reason, been blessed to ride with and bear witness to some great riders (world champs) some are friends others were just on fun rides and races I've done.
    Seen S Harden pass me along this fence line in mex on a fun ride and just disappear on a 250 or 300 KTM, I was on my KTM300 could not quite keep him in sight for long, pretty good for old guy (not me ...Him) We are lucky to get to be on the same playing field as top pros both off and on the track,,as most are very down to earth moto people.
  16. I8AKTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've had the pleasure of being passed at a few enduros by Jeff Fredette, and he is always yells "thank you!" when you stay over to let him fly by. After the Winterset enduro last year, he was selling ISDE shirts to help fund his trip. I walked over to his trailer to get one and he stood there talking with me like I was his neighbor. Even offered me some of the peanuts he was munching. I had been reading about the guy's racing success for years and my first interaction with him was very cool.

This year, he was at the Geneseo enduro, sponsored by Springfield Armory. He took the overall, and the giant trophy had a genuine but nonfunctional 1911 pistol at the top. One of the other racer's kid was checking it out in awe- probably about 5 years old. Jeff pops the gun off the top, and hands it to him to check out. It obviously made the boy's (and his dad's) day and was a very cool moment.

paul
  17. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I knew John Steen. I'm pretty sure he was the one that knew and rode with McQueen and others in ISDT. He had a home in Huntington Harbour and a 58 ft. power boat with a machine shop under decks. He had something to do with importing Hodaka motorcycles in the past. He had some nice looking young girlfriends. He was always heading down to Baja on his boat. I think he died not too long ago.

Here's a pic....http://www.dirtrider.com/news/141_0801_more_fun_tear_offs/photo_06.html
  18. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Well, we weren't exactly in the "saddle" ...more like the hot tub at the Devonshire Hotel down at Willow Springs the night before the WERA 24-Hour Endurance Race. I don't know who was the drunker of the two...me or Wes Cooley:D As it turns out, Eric brushed up against him, too. They were out doing the night stints and Wes Cooley was riding for Team Suzuki. Team Suzuki was totally dominating endurance racing at that time. Eric was out there on an FZR600 and they were dicing it up pretty good. Lap times usually go up at night, especially at Willow because it is in the middle of the desert and it is pitch black out there, no track lights, but Eric and Cooley were duking it out something fierce and posting up ludicrous times. Cooley was running 1st overall on a 7/11bike (1100 motor in a 750 frame) and Eric was running 3rd overall on an FZR600...on a monster horsepower track:eek: I was in the scoring booth and people were whispering and all abuzz about that guy on the little bike giving Cooley a run for his money. I was so proud of him! They both ended up winning their respective classes, and Eric set a record for most mileage covered on a 600 in a 24-hour race. He set one the previous year on an FZR400 that still stands, last I checked.

I got to interview Eddie Lawson at the first 500cc GP at Laguna Seca in 1988. That was the coolest thing ever! One question was what would be the one thing he could tell me that would make me a better and faster rider. He immediately said to look as far ahead as you can so you can make quicker and better-informed decisions. He said no matter if you're on a roadrace track, MX track, a trail or whatever, it is the most important thing. I still think about that when I'm riding.

I guess my biggest brush with greatness had to be Muhammad Ali...the greatest of all time. If you don't believe me when I say he's the greatest, just ask him, he'll tell you himself:lol: I also woke up Clint Eastwood. I had an encounter with Danica Patrick that left me with a bad taste in my mouth. When I was much younger I waited tables at a very popular steakhouse/bar (I believe the term for those places was "meat rack" :lol:) that was frequented by baseball teams coming to play the Oakland A's, but, um, I'd rather not go into the sordid details of those days:devil:

I work at a fancy hotel in SF and talk to lots of famous people, but most of them don't ride motorcycles.

WoodsChick
  19. SightedN2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

from back in 96 when I was still fast enough to have some sponsorship..including MSR, and mutual friends....still have MSR sponsorship.....just cause they feel sorry for me....being old and slow....but need to look good
  20. Mercury264 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Cool :thumbsup: