Broke my speedo LCD... don't ask.

Discussion in 'TR650' started by kyle01, Feb 18, 2017.

1. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta 430, Honda CR 144, XS650
    Any idea of where I can find one?
  2. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    That's what you call F.U.B.A.R.
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    try TrailTech- I don't know what the TR650 computer looks like, but some of their computers are just about bolt-on. The Endurance II fit my TE310R perfectly- it even used the stock husky speedo sender (plugged right in) and has better ergos and more functionality than stock, for $45
  4. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    ECU, dash and ignition keys are coded to work together. If you get a new dash (there's one for sale in the advrider classifieds) it needs to be coded to the ECU using the MOS if that's still possible at all. Might be possible to just swap the LCD over though. WayneC may know more.
  5. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I can definitely swap the LCD, I've got mine out... it's a 5 minute deal. Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna see if I can't scare that one up over on adv rider!!
  6. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...uestions-thread.850525/page-382#post-31507059

I got the headlight for mine. I would suggest getting the speedo, ecu and keys. Nobody is going to be able to program your dash to the ecu if you just swap it. At least I am not aware of any shop being able to do so. Make sure you get 2 keys, as I doubt you can get a spare from Husky if you are not the registered owner of the bike the ecu came from.
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    wow. a broken speedo means a new ECU? keys? ....and a speedo?? sheesh- that totally sounds like a BMW deal.
  8. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist

Good Luck!
  9. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    not me- I used a $45 Endurance II on my 310r and installed 5 LEDs where husky had one (and previous years had a key). worked beautifully.

IMG_9592.JPG

Good luck to Kyle... sounds like he might need it.
  10. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    ECU+speedo (instrument cluster)+ keys are individual parts, but each is dependent on the other. They have to be coded together in order to work. Any of the 3 gets busted/ lost/ substantially damaged etc etc and it's not just a matter of getting a replacement part first, but then all 3 have to be coded which can only be done in extremely few places around the globe (to be near impossible, in practical terms).

There's someone here in Melbourne who bought 2 damaged TRs at an auction, one without keys.
    He's been desperately trying to find the previous owner to maybe trace at least one key, as the bike is virtually worthless as is right now.

There's another TR at a local dealer which was stolen + recovered, some of the fairly minimal damage all round is a busted dash!
    Splat...it's a dead-duck.
    No oh-so-pretty aftermarket dash can do the job.
    I always wondered though, if the Nuda parts could be substituted as there is still a good 2.hand supply in Europe.
  11. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Speedo on its way- thank you for the heads up! Bike was still running - just couldn't read the display. There are some screws on the back of the assembly and it pulls right apart. The LCD is held in by a couple of clips, the ribbon cable plugs in just below. It's a quick swap, I'm not using any of the other parts- so if anyone has any ideas and wants the remains have at it!
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  12. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    pm on its way!!
  13. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

The TR650 dash is identical to the Nuda dash. The M button and the Map I & II in the LCD are the giveaway.
  14. Newfoundlander Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Am i right in saying a replacement unit from Trailtech will not work?

I wonder if a full ignition, speedo and Fi system from another bike can be transplanted on the TR650 then tuned with a power commander to fuel the bike correctly. Thoughts?
  15. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I can tell you this- when the dashboard is unplugged from the bike, it'll turn over but will not start. As others have pointed out it's a "coded part" that is VIN specific. Now, it may just be the immobilizer that is keeping it from running- and could just be that item which gets coded in that assembly...I don't know. I read a post somewhere (on CH) regarding the removal of the immobilizer. May be worth a shot? I'll try starting my bike once the replacement dash shows up just to see what happens- but I'm guessing nil!
    Y
  16. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115

Almost.....
    The Nuda has a Digital Gear Indicator and the LCD has extra features in the Temperature and Fuel Consumption displays.
  17. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    hell, if none of that works: keep your stock stuff on and piggy-back a TrailTech on it.
  18. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Correct, NO aftermarket instrument cluster will work!
    "Piggybacking" a non-genuine/ un-coded unit might well mean removing at least some of the input/ output signals to the factory unit, which in return
    will stop the communication with the ECU = bike is dead.

Transplanting a fully coded ECU+dash+key from another TR will work, no need for FI components etc.

As for the Nuda dash....it stands to reason that pin orientation of the Nuda unit is the same as the TR unit...and this might work
    despite some extra features available (which just wouldn't get activated)...but coding the unit together with keys + ECU is still required to make it part of the
    "combine".
  19. Newfoundlander Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra

Sorry, i meant from different model bike. Like the 310 or something.
  20. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    nope. just the speed sensor- which gives you 90% of the info you really need: speed and distance.

and, hell, even if *that* was an issue, you could just mount TrailTech's speed sensor too.

(you may be confusing my use of the term "piggyback" with something else... I am not talking about electronically connecting anything to anything; I am suggesting mounting an aftermarket display ON TOP and independent of the non-working one with which the bike currently runs with)