1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Brittle plastics on newer bikes, why ?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by rabskyline, Jul 13, 2014.

1. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    My 2014 had about 10klms on it before a branch about Thumb thickness(same kind that wreck radiators in SEQ) whether through the side triangle plastic splitting it clean.
    Today, 2nd ride, I hit a tree(yes I know, don't hit trees head on ) and it cracked and broke like glass !
    Now I know that crashing causes damage, I do ride a bit on the loose side (like a flag at times) and I love it, thing is, I crashed and ditched my older wr Yamaha bikes left right and centre even harder than I do a new bike and never broke anything as easily as this.
    Another bloke I know with a beta 498rr has came across same drama, front guard like it's made of Bakelite.

So, what's different now ? What aren't they adding into the plastic to make them give and bend without breaking into about 20 pieces....?
  2. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    I don't know Rabs, but, MXA had issues with brittle plastics on the 2013 cr144
    ---
    Q: WHAT WAS THE WORST THING ABOUT THE HUSQVARNA CR125/144?
    A: The plastic is so brittle that during our test we broke the front fender, front number plate, both fork guards and the lower radiator winglets. It should be noted that we didn’t break the plastic in a crash; it either broke of its own accord or was cracked by roost. We’ve never seen this on any other bike, but it has happened with every Husqvarna we’ve tested. We put older model KTM fork guards on the forks?they fit perfectly. As for the front fender and front number plate, we replaced them when they broke.
    http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-...st-of-the-breed-or-the-first-of-a-new-species
    ---

I've dropped my 310, ran into trees, dumped on rocks ..multiple times.. crashed into the back of another Husky :o but the worst so far is gouges and scratches...

SEQ (Glassy) lantana smashed my fox goggles and they should be safety rated, so sometimes I guess it is just bad luck.

smashed googles.jpg
  3. 4x4simon Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Te 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    ttr230 dr250 sv1000
    I'm having the same weak plastic issues with my 2012. Not happy at all with it. My guess is, the brittle plastics are cheaper than the tougher, flexible ones.
  4. mlorenzini Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    '98 Ducati CR, '12 VStrom650, KLR650
    I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with the tabs that mount the headlight on the TE449/511. Both of mine broke, I assume from riding hard on rocky roads. Below is a pic of the fasteners with the plastic inside. What is the fix? Get the same part so it can break again?
    photo.JPG
  5. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    That's weird. My 08' plastics ( except the lower radiator wings ) are very flexible. Same thing with my 06' honda. Did they change something in 2010 when they went to the plastics with the graphics molded in????
  6. Jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 TXC 310R
    Ya ive had similar issues my new 14txc 310 that I got in march. And im on its 3 read fender 2nd front fender and need a set rad. Plastics.
  7. JRW Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Tiger 800 XC
    I went down 4 times on the left side of my TE449 Saturday and no damage. :excuseme:
  8. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    Aha, so it seems it's not just me.
    I've ordered a 2014 yz450f front guard, not unlike the te449/511 style and feels a lot more flexible.
    I'll retro fit and take pics, I need it to be flexible, I ride too widly(and badly at times) to have a guard made of glass.
  9. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    Not trying hard enough ! :D

Maybe different plastics ?
  10. need2boat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1993 BMW K75s
    I've broken by share or lower rad guards. My issue is I have an oversized tank and the fits not the best. That said in the woods they break just riding along, something grabs one and they have very little flex. It's nice most of the dealers sell them for 10.00 but I'd pay 20 for one with a little better plastic.

I've been told UFO who makes some kits uses a better plastic but they were out of stock last I check.

Joe
    rabskyline likes this.
  11. Jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 TXC 310R
    ya, I broke a few lower rad plastics to on my old 09 te but to be honest the plastics might last longer if I'd stay on the bike more
    rabskyline likes this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

the 449/511 are put together different and seem to last forever. I have 6000 hard miles on mine. Tossed in on the ground hard many times. Dropped it on logs, smashed head on tino stuff etc. No one crack. I did pull one of the holes out on the fork guard backing up on the hill and catching the guiard on something. the 449/511 is multi part and seems to give and not transfer the impact near as much. The plastic is also very flexible. My 09 125 would brake plastic pretty EZ. My 02 and 04 are pretty stout. It does seem like most the newer bike do have fragile plastic.
    rabskyline likes this.
  13. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    whomever the OEM contracted to mold the rad lowers (the black ones) those were my issue plastics they cracked if you looked at them, my graphics basically held them together.
    All the Polisport contracted uppers were good, but of course cracked if hit stuff.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Buddy Blake runs my wrap around rad guards and no side lowers. Works well and does not end in bushes sticking out of your shrouds when you ride tight woods.
  15. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    Just happy I am not paranoid or hitting things harder :D

I've ordered a YZ one, will fit it tomorrow and crash test it on the weekend (as I often do :D)
    Motosportz likes this.
  16. need2boat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1993 BMW K75s
    What are wrap around rad guards? didn't see anything listed on the site.
  17. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    on my TE250 year 11, plastics are hard enough to resist my constant crashes.. the only part I broke is a radiator shroud because the bike fell against a rock.. but on branches, roots, mud, gravel, they seemed to be very hard and resistant
  18. Del Todd Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 250 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KTM 200 XC, 450 EXC-R
    Broke both lower rad guards and both fork guards. Replaced fork guards but rad guards are on back order. Halls said they have 50 sets on order and some from and aftermarket supplier but I've been waiting for months. Bent my subframe too and that was on backorder as well but I got a nice used one. Makes me very sad as I really like this bike 2013 TC250R. Hopefully I will get the aftermarket ones from Halls since they may be stronger. The rest of my plastics are durable.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I think we were lied to. I don't think Stephan is going to cough up parts for our bikes like he promised. I don't think huskys will ever be much different than KTM like he promised. I think the end game was always to get rid of husky and simply market more KTMs with the name. Hope I am wrong.
  20. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Who is Stephan?