1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Breather kit, which solution

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by HuskySnake, Feb 13, 2017.

1. HuskySnake Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2011
    So after owning a 2011 TE511 for 3-4 months, its time to install a breather kit to avoid the oil blasting into my airbox. There are multiple solutions now in 2017.

There are posts on this forum in regard to breather installation, but for newcomers we have to read though large amounts of posts just to get an overview. Right to the point, what recomendations do you guys have? I have found the following alternatives:

[1]:Full circulation kit from Zip-Ty
    https://ziptyracing.com/products/husqvarna-full-oil-recirculation-kit
    Looks good, returns the oil but expensive

[2]: DMD solution (ebay)
    Easy and fast solution, but no return of oil. Maybe not neccesary if it works correctly?

[3]:Tank hose kit by Zip-Ty
    https://ziptyracing.com/products/husqvarna-oil-breather-tank-hose-kit

I'm no expert, but wouldn't the last solution [3] simply solve the issue if routed from the outlet that originally runs up to the airbox? Simply feed the oil back into the new oil-drain-plug?
  2. BC61 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Your choices are between 1 & 2. #3 is a retrofit for kit 1. You can't do as you suggested for 3, there as to be an air outlet.

I think DMD product would work well for a trail bike but don't know if it will work with a bike running a lot of sustained high rpm, such as a rally bike. If anyone has experience with the DMD product I'd like to hear about it.
    HuskySnake likes this.
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    (background: I rode my kid's 511 until about 3 years ago, when he moved out of state).

I believe 90% of the 449/511's breather and oil issues are caused by a very poorly placed crankcase vent (it should by high up in the valve cover IMNSHO).

• The ZTR solution is a complete system, beautiful and extremely well engineered. Extra oil capacity is a plus.
    • DangerMouseDesign's vent is incredibly smart and maintains the sexiness of the engine.
    • David's vent in the head-plug solves all of the pressure problems for under $5.
    3 years ago we installed the ZTR valve cover vent- and never finished the rest of the installation. My son reports no problems.

good luck. (but read the whole thread, too)
    HuskySnake likes this.
  4. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Well, I am a little biased, but made my purchase before I was ever associated with ZipTy.

Tinken (original designer of the ZipTy system) was the first guy around here who discovered and shared the bad vent placement. ZTR was the factory race team and the guys were frying torque limiters in short order.

The crankcase vent directs hot gases and oil vapor through the TL and causes premature wear and failure. So the vent relocation to the valve cover was the first part of the solution. Then came the idea to collect, cool, and condense the oil vapor and return it to the engine. So sexy tank and return came along next. By the way, it is NOT just a hollow tank. It's actually designed to do the job.

The system I have is the first generation which returns oil to the fill plug location. Now the system returns to the rear pump screen plug, which allows the pump to draw excess oil into the engine. For sustained high RPM running, the new design has eliminated oil spotting on the air filter that some customers reported with the original design. This was mostly on the 511 for some reason.

The DMD breather is a decent idea but I can't attest to the long term performance of it in terms of any leaking or failures. This product is made and sold almost exclusively in Australia and I know he has many happy costumers according to the Facebook group that he started down under. There is no return on this system.

BOTH do vent through the air filter airbox fitting. However, the DMD unit is not really designed to run extra oil, while the ZTR system allows for up to 1300ml of oil to be run with no problem.

You can do as trechcoat mentioned and run the ZTR breather alone and run the output to the airbox or T it to a stand alone breather.

Like I said in the beginning, I have an obvious bias, but the main idea is to stop using the crankcase vent in stock form and using one of these better solutions to vent the motor.
    HuskySnake likes this.