Brake Lever Mod

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Kenneth Webb, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    This won't be for everybody, or maybe for anybody else, but I will be having a new brake lever waterjet cut so that it will be over-the-peg. It will look stock when done, but you will have to do quite a bit of fabrication to get it together. Anyone with welding skills or a welder friend might be interested. The lever will weld onto the stock boss, but you will have to move the master cylinder linkage tab up and weld it, and also weld a tab for the stock brake switch. The master cylinder push rod will need to be shortened and threaded too, or replaced with a shorter rod. Lots of messing around, but not all that difficult with a cut-off wheel, hack saw and grinder. The important item is getting the lever extension right and nicely cut. When I send the pattern out for cutting it's just as easy to cut two or twenty as to cut one. If anyone is interested, let me know and I can have extras made. It'll be several weeks before I get this to the shop to be cut, and I don't have a price, but for myself, what ever it is will be OK. The more I have made, the lower the cost will be per each. You could always get the lever blank and do the work whenever you take the notion or get around to it. A good DIY project for winter.

I have also ordered a BRP chain guide and will be fabing a bracket to mount it to the swing arm. I wish someone would offer this bracket for us, but it looks like a one-off.
  2. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Is it sexy!?
  3. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    It will be! Has curves in all the right places......
  4. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    All right...I'm in!
  5. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    You've got it. When I get the plates cut. I'll make up a sketch to show how I see it going together, though it is really self-evident. I plan on buying a morning, or day of welding at my fabricator and have the brake lever, side stand reinforcement and chain guide pieces all TIG welded at the same time. Just curious about your screen name; do you have a fab shop? If so, 'must be nice!
  6. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    OK Kenneth, sounds good. I will await further instructions. I am surprised no one else has chimed in...it is a great idea and cost will be reduced with more made as you have all ready stated.

I do have a fab shop in the works. All tooling and welders have been purchased throughout the years, but the shop itself is almost done. It is small..24x24 behind our house. The size of the shop was perfect until I picked up my late fathers "14 x "56 F.E. Reed metal lathe. It was built in 1889 and is in perfect working order. I am going to have to build another out building just for it!
    LandofMotards likes this.
  7. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, most folks aren't up for cutting and chopping on their new bikes. But it's just metal and can be welded to be as good or better than before, and refinished, etc. And, custom low volume parts are expensive time wise. Still, these few mods are worth it to me.

Have fun with the lathe. I learned on a WWII LeBlond.
    FabOneUp and Blazes like this.
  8. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Looks like I'm going to need two of these. How we lookin? I saw you ordered up the Touratech shifter and it worked out good for you. Can you post a pic in the Farkels section? I ordered the 14 tooth sprocket from them and am pretty confident it will work as well.
  9. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I will get the drawing of the lever out to the water jet cutter tomorrow and see what the cost might be. You need 2? One for a friend, or did you go out and buy 2 Terras! If the cost is too high I will just cut by hand, but it would be a bitch. If you have access to a cad program I could send you a file, or if not, a template, if it comes to that. I will post up a pic of the new lever today too.
  10. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here is what happened to the first Terra:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/pikes-peak-or-bust-ed-terra.28662/

I bought it back from the insurance company and sold it to one of my best friends. My replacement is on its way, so that's why I need two, one for him and one for me. I agree that if the cost is too high we can cut our own. Another option may be to send the file to a friend of mine to have him cut them out on his cnc plasma cutter. He made some recent life changes, so he might not have it any more, but we can cross that bridge later if needed.

Thanks ahead of time for posting the pic in the Farkels section. It gets a lot of views, but there isn't much there. I think a lot of people come to Cafe Husky who are non members to find out as much as they can about the bike. The ADV thread on this bike is just one thread and overwhelming. It is more organized over here.
  11. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    hay am interested in the idea but what are you trying to achieve? stubby levers or easyer pull? stronger? lighter?
    would have thought the clutch side is more of an issue..?
  12. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    'Got some pics of the shifter and brake lever template and will post them very shortly in the Farkles thread.
  13. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    In the Farkles thread too, but here is a pic of my template for the brake lever.

650 brake shifter 002.JPG
  14. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Ken! That looks great!
  15. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    if postage isnt too high to blighty im in
  16. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    hay am just going to get rfx aftermarket brake looks like it will put me in the right area. around £30 quid so probably cheaper for you as your parts are better priced over there. keep us posted tho
  17. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Which one are you getting? It doesn't look like any of them will work for the Terra only because the rear pivots are not low enough. Are you getting it for your WR or do you have a Terra/Strada?
  18. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    actually neither i was going for my 550 zeypher but like the idea of clearance as i hate traffic an we have alot of lanes where im located so off road cutthroughs are possible.:thumbsup: am re building it over the winter and am using my kmx as a runaround. huskys in the shed keeping warm:rolleyes: