1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Blown Crankseal -- DIY/How to?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Skoalman, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico, Penton, KTM, DKW, Rokon, BUL
    I recently purchased an 83 Husky WR 250 (with an 82 engine) that had been sitting for nearly 3 years. The bike was clean and it started right up. One thing I did notice however, was that a half-dollared blob of oil had spurted from the vent tube when the owner started -- I figured that the crankcase had pressurized, and it was just expelling some some goo...After going through the bike, (NOTE: pulled the mag cover, it was bone dry, and the crank was tight!) I raced it 2 weeks later...Bike ran strong. I wasn't racing to win, just wanted to see whata the bike felt like. Well, I got it home, pressured washed all the muck and goo of the bike, and tried to restart the bike! -- It was a no-go. The air filter was a mess, the carb and fuel filter were putrid. Thought maybe I had contaminated gas, or sucked in some water somewhere -- it was a muddy, watery, but fun course.

Needless to say, I drained the tank, dissected and nearly sterilized the carb, drained the oil (came out very watery, but not grey or miky), put in a new freshly oiled filter, new plug, and even rejetted the bike...I finally got the bike to light, and I thought all was good. Well yesterday, I started to go through the bike to get ready for upcoming ISDTRR ride in Oct. The bike wouldn't start. Kicked nearly a bazillion times! Cleaned the carb, new plug, fresh gas, yadda, yadda, yadda...This time however, I pulled the pipe to the head for leaks and when I turned the pipe upside down, about half point of oil, water, gas or whatever it was poured out of the pipe.

Pulled the mag again...and there it was -- A BIG OL' PUDDLE OF OIL AT THE SIX O CLOCK POSITION IN THE MAG COVER!! I've gone through the engine and carb from soups to nuts over the past 2 days, and now believe that I have a CS leak. The bike is very hard to start and will only start if you have the throttle half way open -- it's sputters, pukes, and farts, and then there's abundance of smoke which makes my the front of my house look like you're at a CHEECH AND CHONG great American Weed Convention! And yes, there's a another puddle of oil in the Mag cover.

So what's the point of this soliloqy you ask? Well, all I want to know is do I have to split the cases to replace the MAG Side crank seal?

Also does anyone know any Husky engine rebuilders on the east coast?...I can do everything (top end rebuilds, set timing, susp rebuild etc...) else on this bike except for splitting the cases...

Thank you very much, and I now concede the floor...

Cheers..

John
  2. pcnsd Husqvarna
    A Class

The right side seal (magneto side) is under a square cover held by 4 screws. It is replaceable without splitting the cases but you will need to remove the flywheel and stator. The flywheel retaining bolt has L/H threads! Make sure you turn it in the proper direction. You will also need a Husky flywheel puller. An air or electric impact driver makes this whole job much easier, otherwise you need to place it in 1st gear and pull the clutch cover and jam a rag into the primary to clutch gears in order to lock crankshaft.
    The left side seal does require splitting the cases to replace.

Good luck
    PC
  3. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Skoalman,
    Congrats on your new scoot and welcome aboard. Sorry about your leak. For the enlightenment of all, post of photos of the repair.
    Rick
  4. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

John,

If you need it, there's a great engine rebuilder, and all around Husky expert, here in Jackson, GA; Stahl's Vintage Husqvarna. You can find his logo and contact info on the main page (at bottom) of www.sevintagemx.com. His name is Larry.

He rebuilt my 84 WR engine so I can personally vouch for his work which is first rate.
    toolguy1 likes this.
  5. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:

Attached Files:

6. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

John,

That's sweet, but unless you have some sort of hybrid, what you have there is a 1985 model if it's a 250. 1984 was the last year of the aircooled engine on the 250, but also the first year of the plastic gas tanks. I think the 400's had a water cooled engine in 84. The odd thing though is that I thought all Huskys went to monoshock in 1985, but not 100% on that, might have been 1986.

Still cool though.
  7. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    LW,

This is a picture of a 400 WR...True, the 400's were watercooled starting n 1984...Some 85 400 WR's were twin shocked...The frame number on this bike says it an 85 model..
  8. crankpin Husqvarna
    B Class

The oil in your exhaust, hard starting and excessive smoke all point to the primary side crank oil seal, allowing oil from your gear box past when the piston is rising, for which you have to split the cases to repair.

The oil in your mag cover tells me that your mag side c/s seal has also blown allowing oil/fuel mix passed when the piston is dropping. Access for this seal is via the bearing seal retainer as previously stated.

None of this is a surprise if the bike has been stood a while.

Either way, it's not the end of the world, just get yourself a gasket and seal kit (circa £40 gbp). The hardest part is separating the cases. Just don't forget to time the box in third as per another post.

Good luck with it and post some pictures :thumbsup::cool:
  9. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry 'bout that. I see now you specifically said it was a 400. :doh: Got myself confused thinking it was a photo of the 250 you asked the question about. :doh::doh::doh:
  10. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Okay, so it looks like I'll be doing all of the engine/crank seals and the OUTER bearings. So, I went to husqvarna-parts website and I know that need engine gasket kit, but now I'm trying to figure out just exactly what bearings (outer) and engine/crank seals I need. Take a look at the link and maybe some of you could go guide on what bearings (outer) and seals I need: http://www.husqvarna-parts.com/page/page/3736875.htm

Thanks!
  11. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    never mind...I figured it out...
  12. crankpin Husqvarna
    B Class

With the shift drum detent in 3rd gear position, the gear change quadrant (step feeder) should be installed with 2 teeth showing above, and 1 tooth showing below the drum.

Clymer pg 65/66

Haynes pg 36/37
  13. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Luvwoods,

Only the CR's in 1985 were single shocks, WR were always a year
    behind for some reason. Also 84 was last year of the aircooled 500,
    1st year for the 125 & 250 water cooled twin shockers CR's

John

Attached Files:

14. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the tip!
  15. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

John,

Thanks. You wouldn't by chance have a brochure copy for the '84 WR's like the CR one you attached would you?

BTY, where in NJ are you. I used to live in Hunterdon County near Clinton before moving to GA.

Tom
  16. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

luvwoods,
    Ebay. Search "husqvarna brochure". Britalia Imports has what you wanted in the "buy it now" section. Pricey, I know, but a wealth of knowledge. His ebay store has ALOT of other husky brochures w/ a ton of info and some great factory photos. Husky Products catalogs also.
    Rick
  17. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks Rick, I'll check it out.
    Tom
  18. frog Husqvarna
    AA Class

You can get any Husky brocure thru husqvarna-parts.com
  19. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    84 WR brochure

Tom,
    I'm in NW NJ (Vernon)

Attached Files:

20. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just curious guys, why isn't there a factory or aftermarket workshop manual for the 82 model years? I'm looking for one.

Another question, anybody going to the ISDTRR? I planned on using the 250, but with it needing a rebuild, I'm going to ride the 400.

FYI: Wanted to let you all know that about 2 months ago I sent my old battered 400 OEM plastic Radiator covers to be reproduced at DC Plastics. I spoke to Don this morning and he said they should be ready next week. So if you're looking for Rad Covers for the 400 WR, he'll have 'em ready very soon.