Blowing head gasket in two easy steps

Discussion in '610/630' started by Timberline, May 23, 2015.

1. Timberline Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Take it back to the dealer and don't pick it back up till it is right. If its a new bike like you say it is their issue not yours.
  3. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Hmm. You have ibeat, and a cable, so you should be able to get the fueling close based on recomendations in the ibeat thread. All you're missing is a laptop, and you should be able to pick up an old XP 32bit one for less than a JD tuner. Hell, I'll trade you my JD tuner for your ibeat cable.
    What does the exhaust smell like? Does it smell like gasoline? Oil? Does it smell "sweet". You said grey/white, which would lead me to think coolant rather than oil/gasolilne.
  4. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    What I have is a VMWare virtual machine set up running 32-bit Windows XP that serves no other purpose than to run iBeat for my 630. There's no Husky dealer within 500 miles of here, so I'm on my own.
  5. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    I copied this from your other thread... For the record, she's got ~2200 mi on the clock, an EMS airbox conversion and a Leo Vince Ti exhaust (among other physical accoutrements). P/U has been done, but no JD tuner and her first marriage was in New Mexico at lower elevation.

With those mods and nothing but the P/U the bike was almost certainly dead lean at high rpm/high load conditions. Resulting heat and pinging prob resulted in the blown head gasket, I recall a similar case on here a few yrs ago. A simple leak down test will answer that question, if you get bubbles from the radiator it's the head gasket. 60psi sounds low to me and there's no spec in the service manual, maybe someone with a stock gas tank could get you a number (I'd have to pull my safari tank).

In the long run you'll want your own iBeat cable. I'd buy that before a JD tuner or PCV. Add fuel and you'll be set. I would not ride the repaired bike until fueling is sorted.

I'd let the local shop you have confidence in do the head gasket (if they're willing).

Good luck!