1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Binx Is Ready To Resume His Restoration Project - Has Many Questions

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Binx, May 20, 2017.

1. Binx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 BMW GS, 2004 Honda Ruckus
    1. How do people clean the pipe/muffler? Mine is very rusty. Can wire-wheel most of it but how do I get rid of the rust beneath the heat shield?

2. What do I use to replace the old, and oil-soaked, muffler packing?

3. What paint (rattle can) should I use to paint the muffler? Black no doubt. But black what? Satin? Flat?

4. What paint should I use for the engine cases? Read somewhere that a Black Gloss was recommended followed by a light rub down w/ a 3M Scotchbrite pad to give it the real-deal look.

It won't be long and I'll be sharing pics and progress reports. For now, tell me what kinda paint i should buy.
  2. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    1. can you slip emery paper strip in there? heat it up to red hot with an oxy..will convert rust.
    2. new non oil soaked muffler packing. use either fiberglass muffler packing or steel wool.
    3. there are several heat proof paints available in the can and you can use a flat black then run a topcoat of satin black for that factory look.
    4. I used a satin black etch primer on my cases, still look ok
  3. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    SAM_1033 - Copie.1.jpg
    sanblasting and after
    paint powder RAL
    9005 semi-gloss !:thumbsup:
  4. Max R Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 175 Cross Country. 1976 360wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda ST1100, 1969 Honda CT70,
    Good to hear you are back at it. Did you get to check out my finished 175 yet ?
  5. Binx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 BMW GS, 2004 Honda Ruckus
    Max R - good to know that you're still monitoring the Vintage Restoration forum. I'm inspired by your results. I was ready to resume my 175 project but then my wife derailed it - again. Now I'm focused on rebuilding our deck and the 175 restoration got pushed again to the back burner. Should be finished with deck in two weeks and then I'll pick up with the 175 where I left off.

Some quick questions for you:
    1. What paint did you use to repaint your muffler?
    2. Did you sandblast your muffler per Visiteur1948 recommendation?
    3. What paint did you use for your engine cases?
    Max R likes this.
  6. Max R Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 175 Cross Country. 1976 360wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda ST1100, 1969 Honda CT70,
    Binx:

I used Rustoleum high heat engine paint for both the exhaust and engine cases. I did not sandblast the exhaust, I used a small wire wheel and air drill to clean it up. It wasn't too badly rusted ... looked worse than it really was. My original Husky's paint wore off fairly quickly from the engine side covers and exhaust, so I wasn't looking for a paint job to last forever. I realized that I would ride this bike so I didn't want a perfect paint job I'd be scared to get dirty or scratched. BUT I still worry about getting it dirty or scratched anyway .... but I do enjoy it AND the looks I get when hauling it around. I've had several people come up and comment about how nice it looks when parked somewhere. Keep at it .. I know about priorities when doing restorations, so I've been where you are many times... Good Luck !