1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Bing Float Needle & Clip

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Gord, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi Folks,
    I'm looking for a Bing float needle with the post and hole, as well as the tiny wire clip that goes with it. If anyone here has one, or two or three, I would pay for what you have. New only please.
    Thanks
  2. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    visiteur 1948 has a list of new bing bits..search bing on here
  3. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
  4. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Unfortunately Bing discontinued them, so neither bingcarburetor or genuinenos or anyone else I've contacted seem to have them. I thought maybe someone here might have squirreled some away.
  5. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    Is this what your looking for?

Bing 54 Float Needle - Copy.jpg
  6. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, but with a solid tip instead of the rubber one.
  7. retro rocket Husqvarna
    AA Class

Gord, Please educate me as to why I should be fitting an all brass one versus a rubber tipped one? (just curious) and what other net net performance issues arise from these being worn (other than the obvious over-filling of the carb)
  8. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    I would think a rubber tip would seal better and adjust for wear. I think the metal tips might last longer and the needle and seat can be lapped with valve grinding paste for a better seal if it wears.
  9. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    if you have a shed full of pixies to do that kind of work? I cant even see a needle and seat let alone "lap one in":D
    bax3 and DaveM like this.
  10. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well, I don't feel qualified to educate any of you folks, but I can tell you what I've learned from experience and give an opinion.
    I don't like the rubber tipped float needle because it can deteriorate and get distorted with the crappy gas we get today with alcohol in it, even though I run Cam2 and Sunoco 93 50/50.
    I have a 72 Penton, 73 Husky and a 74 Can Am, amongst others, all with Bings. I had some issues with the Penton and Husky Bings and fixed them by replacing the float needle seat and needle. It's my opinion that both should be replaced at the same time. I don't think replacing just the needle in a seat that might be worn out as well makes any sense. So now I replace both on every Bing carb I work on, which seems to be a lot, since every bike I pick up seems to have one on it.
    So anyhow, a friend and I are building another Penton race bike, so we ordered the parts from Bing. What we got was one of the float needles with the ball and spring instead of the post, hole and wire clip. The bike will only run on what we puke in to the bowl when we push the tickler. Once the bowl runs out, it dies. We have played with several different float height positions, but the needle seems to be hanging up, even though we have checked for burrs and made sure everything is correct.
    So, to eliminate that possible problem, I want the regular style float needle, as the wire clip assures me that the float needle is being lifted and letting fuel in.
    Unfortunately when we called Bing, they told us the style float needle I want has been discontinued. That's why I'm looking for a new float needle.
    Sorry for the novel.
    SteveJ likes this.
  11. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    The best cure for Bing is to fit a Mikuni.
  12. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    This maybe a half (or quarter even) interim solution at least to get your friends Penton running. Reading the Husky Club web page about Bing 54s shows that two float needles used to be available.

#953 hard needle for Bing #1/36/101 thru 116
    #968 soft needle for Bing #1/36/103A-116A with 'A' suffix

http://www.huskyclub.com/bing.htm

Bing 54 Type 1 has a Float Needle bore about 6.22-6.24 mm.
    Bing 54 'A' has a Float Needle bore about 7.62-7.64 mm

As you have pointed out, the needle clip is an important part and the smaller diameter needle seems to only come with a ball top now. There is a comment that the ('A') Float Needle with the Viton tip could be ground down in diameter to fit the earlier Type 1. This would provide the all important post with the clip.

So just a 'half' baked solution - clip, but no all metal needle.

As an aside - the Ultralight Aircraft community has robust discussions on the Bing 54s they use on their Rotax motors. They replace parts more often than we do (including the float needle) - they do not have the luxury of pulling to the side of the trail when the carb gives up. Good source of info on their forums and parts on their aircraft supply sites.
    SteveJ likes this.
  13. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks Vinskord, All great information! I know a lot of folks don't like Bing carbs, but have always thought, if the ultralight plane industry uses them, they must be pretty good.
  14. Houredout401 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '77 CR250 '78WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '76MR250 '83IT250 '84 IT490 '69CT70
    Gord, I have a complete bing off a 70's husky 250. You and Kevin are welcome to use it to test/trouble shoot or take used parts. I had been saving it in case I wanted my 77CR to be completely stock, but reality is it will never see the light of day again at my house. Kevin has my contact info.
  15. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks Dave,
    I don't think we can use that one, or parts from it on the little Penton.
    But if you and I can come up with a fair price, I would be interested in it for a 79 Can Am I'm working on.