1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Before and After - Carb Clean/Rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by schimmelaw, Dec 7, 2008.

1. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Before and after pics of carb. 1st and 2nd photo - post cleaning in Berryman's carb and parts cleaner. (That stuff is a great cleaner - just don't let your aluminum parts soak for longer than recommended - it will eat away the aluminum). Carb came out clean but with the oxidation still present.
    Remaining photos - post a light sand blast and a second go round in Berryman's. They came out a light "sand-cast" gray - with no oxidation.
    I'm surprised the carb came out good as it did. It now looks like a trick factory part.

Attached Files:

2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Pretty.... :cheers:

I've got a gallon can in the garage of that stuff. It is indeed aggressive stuff.
  3. scoobywrx05 Husqvarna
    A Class

That cleaned up pretty good. Never used that stuff, I'll have to give it a try sometime.
  4. HuskyT Moderator

How did you do the light sandblast?

How did you clean the brass screws etc... or ar they all new?

Did you rebuild with all new parts?

Where can you get Berryman's in California?

Thanks in advance

T
  5. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

HuskyT,

"Light sandblast" just means I held the carb out and away from the outlet nozzle as much as my gloves in the cabinet would let me. I didn't let the blast from the nozzle concentrate on one certain spot at close range. I didn't use the blaster to remove material but just to knock the oxidation off.

The brass screws, jets & other hardware were lightly wire wheeled on the grinder and then polished up with a little Brasso. The allen head scews on the float bowl are some anodized aluminum bolts I had left over from a previous project. Same with the vent hose.

I used no new parts (except float bowl screws and vent hose). All internal components, if oxidized, were cleaned (per above) and inspected and reused. All orifices were clean and unobstructed. New float bowl gasket in future.

I don't know where you can get Berryman's in CA. Might be enviromental concern/issue for your state. Here locally, one gallon can at O'Reilly's Auto Parts - about $25.00. It's reusable. Had the same one gallon can for a looooong time. The stuff is great carb and parts cleaner/soaker. Just have to be careful with aluminum - Berryman's will eat it up if left in too long.

Thanks for your interest!!! Rick
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Bought mine at Napa Auto parts 3 years ago. Because I never plan to have a bike old enough to ever need it again you can have my can - I'll hand it to you if we ever meet (free).
  7. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS