1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Before, After and Before - Rear Wheel

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by schimmelaw, Mar 22, 2009.

1. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

81' 430XC street legal motard conversion in progress.

Preliminary mock up - much more to do.

Stock rear wheel assembly is in the "for sale" box. We all know what it looks like.

Photo 1: Parts. Black excel 4.25 X 17" 36 hole motard rim. Powdered 82' 430 hub with refurbished hardware and new innards. Powdered stock 81' backing plate with wide EBC pads and plated hardware. Cleaned and polished "shouldered" stock 82' WR spokes and nipples (previous "before and after" thread).

Photos 2, 3, 4 and 5: Spoked and mounted. WHAT A BITCH !!! I have respoked several hub/rim combos in the past BUT this was a monster. Big hub - small rim. Not much "wiggle" room. Glad that is over w/. I always enjoy the projects of a rebuild, but this one wasn't fun. No joy in this respoke. Went to bed late with a BAD:censored:SS migrane. Anyways, came out as anticipated.

Still need: truing (not this wkend - I've had enough), chain, sprocket and tire.

Attached Files:

2. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    What are the silencer details? I think I missed that installation.
  3. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Picklito,

Silencer came on the bike as purchased. No markings of any kind. Originally, bare aluminum w/ wore out rubber bushings, mismatched mounting hardware and blown out packing. I don't have any idea what it is, but would like to know.

I do know its not the stock one. The silencers of that era, as I remember, had a bigger tube w/ an outside mounted cap. The cap also had a little lip at the end of it. This one, the cap slip fits in the tube and there is no lip at the end.

The Husky's were painted gold and had smaller number plate taps welded on. The tabs (tab - mine only has one b/c one of the tabs was torn in half and got cut off - the good one was cut off its original position and rewelded as shown) on this silencer are much larger.

Dont' remember if the 79's - early 80's were spring mounted to the pipe. I remember the stock silencers fitting over the pipe and a rubber sleeve (hose) was hose clamped on sealing the joint. This silencer has two beefy spring mounts on it - like that.

Post: packing, anodized tube (gold in homage), powdered cap, brass cap screws, new rubber bushings, ssteel flat head allen & washers, ano conical washer and 8mm nylock flange nut.

Came out just fine.

Attached Files:

4. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tried and True

I meant to say tight and trued.

Wheel update:

Photo 1 and 2: Tru Dat. LUBE SPOKES. Pull wheel assembly all the way back on the swingarm and snug it down. Snug up all the spokes to the top of the nipples. Tip of a couple of zip ties, tape and a descent spoke wrench. Mount ties on swingarm and have at it. Somebody's got to. Make small adjustments while tightening every third spoke. Keep moving the tips/tape closer in to the rim as you get closer to "true". Make final adjustments to "high" and "low" and "left" and "right". 5 or 6 CDs later, wha la. All good.

Zip tie on the right is checking hub/rim true - as viewed from the side. No "egg" shape. Zip tie on left is checking lft/right wobble - as viewed from the rear or above.

"Pretty damn close" is good in my book b/c there is a big bad ass 140X70X17 tire going on mine. What might be off - my eyes are terrible - will never be noticed w/ a mounted tire.

Photo 3: Nipples seating further "in" the rim than anticipated. Unintended. Still more work. Spokes get a grinding.

Attached Files:

5. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

A little progress

I know its kinda of a lame boring update, but hadn't had much time b/c of taxes and Easter. No play this week - still battling last minute taxes and brother flying in from FL this wkend. Busy time. Anyways, a little progress is better than none.

Photo 1: New grinding wheel on angle grinder - those long spokes didn't stand a chance. Short work and didn't f anything up. Gloves and eye protection.

Photo 2: Nice clean 17" rim strip mounted up. Hand sand the weld for any possible chaffing issues. There was some.

Photo 3: One wrap of black duck tape. Its good. Tire.

Rick

Attached Files: