Basketcase 2006 TE610 - yay or nay?

Discussion in '610/630' started by BenM, Mar 21, 2016.

1. BenM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE300 WR360 WR125 CR250 WXE250 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    950ADV, 250XC, IT465,
    Have a line on a basketcase 2006 TE610. When I say basketcase, I mean a valve guide failed, dropped valve and wrecked havoc on the piston/head/jug.

Supposedly had 7K on it when it failed, clean title, but the problem is its mostly disassembled so it may be tough to see whats missing. Guy says everything is there minus the carb.

It is cheap though, first trying to get some pictures then maybe look at it Thursday or Friday. Always liked these and the fact they're carbed like most of my other bikes is a bike plus.

Other than the extent of the damage to the lower end/jug/head, anything in particular to look for on these? Anyone have issues with parts availability or is the KTM support pretty good?

Thanks,
    Ben
  2. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    As long as it really is cheap.
    I can see the appeal of a bike like this, it would be a good opportunity to build a motor with more power.
    It could make a nice long term project?
  3. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Buy it and scour ebay and the forums for parts
  4. BenM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    950ADV, 250XC, IT465,
    Talked with the owner at length about it last night. Nice guy, got it in trade as a non-running bike for some work done about 2yrs ago. Said he originally got it running after cleaning the carb, but was working on something while it was idling, and all of a sudden it starting making some bad top end clattering noise. Pulled the exhaust to have a look inside and said the retainer was missing and the valve had dropped down partially, but not all the way.

Figure it will need Piston, Rings, Valve job, tensioner and more at a minmum depending on the extent of the damage. Hoping the retainer didn't wreck too much havoc on the jug or head. Good thing is after studying the parts diagram, the top end part of the engine looks pretty similar to my XR277 engine minus the liquid cooling. If things look too trashed, might investigate if I can fit a 630 top end.

It's very cheap, I'll probably be picking it up this Thursday, Friday or Saturday. Will keep you guys posted. Thanks.
  5. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
  6. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
  7. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    The 06 610 is carb'd right?
    I messaged the guy and it comes with the harness but no ECU.
    You can find guys with spare ECU's here.

As for the rest, you'd have to do some research. I'm sure it could be done, it just might take a little creativity.

You may have tank (and other) fitment issues with the bigger red head.
  8. BenM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    950ADV, 250XC, IT465,
    Yeah it's carbed and I'd probably be looking to keep it that way. Interesting about the head being larger, wonder if 610 valve cover would fit without much issue

Intake boot is another possible problem, looks like I have some research to do.
  9. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    630 is dual cam, 610 is single cam. Apples and oranges...
  10. BenM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    950ADV, 250XC, IT465,
    Oof, well that changes quite a bit.
  11. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    But you could carb a 630 coudnt you? would get around alot of issues.
  12. BenM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    950ADV, 250XC, IT465,
    I'm sure you could, but not sure how easily. I'm assuming the DME/ECU controls the Fuel & Ignition on the 630. So if you left the computer, but removed the injection system the computer may not see all the necessary inputs to control ignition.

Anyone know the parts interchangeability with the older (1999,2000, 2001, etc.) TE610's and the 06-07s? The engines look pretty similar in the parts diagrams, but have some different part #s.
  13. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    If there were no need for fuel injection control and the associated sensors, then there could be a possibility that the ecu/cdi that came with the 610 could be used.
  14. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    You may have to change out the cam sensor and/or trigger wheel, not sure how similar those are.
  15. BenM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    950ADV, 250XC, IT465,
    Hmm, that could possibly work. :thinking:

What about the timing changes from the single cam ---> twin cam?
  16. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Bear in mind im openly theorizing here.
    I didnt think cams had anything to do with it, just the degree before TDC you want the spark timed. Both engines have 4 valves, just how theyre actuated is changed. Isnt the timing triggered from the flywheel on these engines? and AFAIK there were very few changes to the bottom end when the 610 became the 630.
  17. BenM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    950ADV, 250XC, IT465,
    Well, ended up picking it up on Friday. Been sitting in the guys basement for 2yrs. It's actually complete (minus the carb) and not nearly as much of a basketcase as I originally thought. Came with a bunch of extras/farkles like the Dirtbagz panniers & racks, XPC seat, and Tusk Risers, bars and Handguards. Plugged the battery in and went through the configuration for the cluster/speedo/tach/odometer, and somehow the odometer reset itself to zero. Last registration says the last odometer reading was 4510 in 2013, so it can't be much more than that.

One of the intake valve guides definitely dropped down, but the retainer/spring is still there and the valve is (relatively) straight, so I'm at a loss on how or why it failed. Thinking maybe the tensioner failed and it jumped time slightly, but that's just speculation. Cam looks perfect

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

One of these guides is not like the other...

[IMG]

Slag in the head from the broken guide. Bore still looks great, thinking I can just do rings and run it like that.

[IMG]

And the cylinder head. Looks pretty pitted on the sides from the guide bouncing around in there. Going to see if that can be cleaned up and then rebuilt, if not then looks like I'll be looking for a new head. Anyone know if the earlier TE610 heads will fit the later models?

[IMG]

And a random pick of a friend's R1200GS that I picked up. Transmission failed spectacularly and put a nearly 8" long crack in the side of it. All in all a good weekend for picking up bikes!

[IMG]
    Spice Weasel likes this.
  18. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Youre absolutely laughing there, that should be an easy rebuild.
    Keep the thread going with reports of the progress of the rebuild, it will be interesting watching it come together.
    Hope it goes well.
    BenM likes this.
  19. BenM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    950ADV, 250XC, IT465,
    Haha, we'll see. It looks like someone has already been in the head and I'm not so confident in it. Has some helicoils, valve cover has a good sized crack, but can be welded. The valve with the broken guide is bent, and the seating surface is pretty chewed up, but shouldn't be that hard to re-cut.

There is a low miles head off a 2008 610 on fleabay right now. Not sure how the fitment is (looks like there is a coolant sensor and different intake boot), but might be worth starting with something that isn't so beat up.
  20. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

I've bought a few complete bike heads from Ebay over the years, haven't had an issue yet, but you never know...
    BenM likes this.