1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Basic SEM Wireing

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 1982 XC 430, Mar 26, 2015.

1. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Having never used a SEM Ignition I need some info on how to wire it. Its a 84 WR and will be used for MX only no lights of any sort. All I want is the Coil, the Spark Plug and a Kill Switch. I found a drawing here on the sight but decoding the Swedish Color codes was sending me the wrong direction. I have unplugged the Harness and have the 3 wires ( Red Green Black) from the Ignition hooked to the Coil. I assume that the Orange Wire is a Kill button. I have the 2 Yellow Leads that used to connect to the Harness unplugged. Do I need anything else ? Do the Yellow wires need to be looped ? The way it is now I don't have a Spark.
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I suspecet at one time or another I have run that system, the coil is shaped differently than the ones for the mini 6 motoplat. I think there is a wire for the tail light, a wire for the headlight and a wire for the spedometer bulb, then two that go to the coil. At least with the motoplat the blue one that goes to the coil continues up to the kill switch which grounds out to kill. I think the two yellow ones make 12 volts but are not dc and not really phased together. The coil and the engine need to be in electrical contact. Sorry I can't help more, everything that had more than three wires for me was earlier or later than 84 and came assembled enough to be easily figured out or tagged.
  3. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    a48578_1.jpg

YELLOW (2) = LIGHTS !
    (70 watts X 2 )
    ORANGE = STOP ENGINE !
  4. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

As it got dark I realized that I did have some Spark, weak as it my be. At least it tells me I have not anything wired wrong.
  5. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    sem marc bouzin.JPG
    orilima1.jpg

test your SEM/AMAL
  6. RUF Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 air, 400WR 85, 430WR 87
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R80GS, GILERA 175RC 1972........
    :applause::applause:.....
    :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:....
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    are these older sem units reliable? i sold all my later sems but i have a complete sem setup from my 84 wr250 i have yet to test out. is there someone who rebuilds/services these? i guess i could just use or rbuild one of my many plats but the added light power is interesting i guess..
  8. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    They are reliable as long as they still work after all these year. The biggest problem is getting a replacement coil as they seem to have some CDI function that makes them different from a later Motoplat coil.