1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Back To The Start: The Husqvarna Story

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Crashaholic, May 18, 2015.

1. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    SteveJ and husqyman like this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Shouldn't they have interview John Penton as thats where the current "husky" lineage comes from not sweden. :)
  3. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    John did much for Husqvarna just in the time span he was the East Coast Distributor. Even while he was building Pentons, he was still riding Husqvarna in the national enduro series, gave them a championship, and gold medal at the ISDT
    Motosportz likes this.
  4. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    I'm aware of John Pentons contributions to Husqvarna as jimspac explains but other than that I have to admit I'm clueless. Motospotz, please share in more detail what you know. Thanks!
  5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Yup I understand it's KTM not the Swedish husqvarna.
    But I feel that the Swedish husqvarna was ahead of Penton. If we look at the early development years. The older husqvarna of the 60's and 70's was race ready out of the box. Wasn't this ahead of the KTM/Penton partnership? I could be wrong.
    I'm swedish husqvarna bias.

But after a day of riding the BIG H from any year it's still a husqvarna I guess. My Italian husqvarnas weren't bad bikes.
  6. Auto5guy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165, 2004 WB165, 1984 wr400
    Other Motorcycles:
    1978 Maico 400, 1974 Penton 400

I think what Kelly is making a reference to is the fact that the current Huskies are KTM's. John Penton's input and name was instrumental in transforming KTM from obscure bicycle/moped manufacturer into a viable brand name in the offroad world.
    Motosportz likes this.
  7. vintagecs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '78 390OR, '76 360 Auto, '74 125SC
    Other Motorcycles:
    Penton, Yamaha
    John Penton's influence with KTM came because he went to Husqvarna wanting them to build a small-bore eastern woods bike (less than 250cc). Husky was going the other way with bigger engines so John contracted with KTM using 100 and 125 Sachs engines. John says if Husky would have built that 125 for him in the late 60's then the Penton would have never been built. You can read all about it in the book "John Penton and the Off-Road Revolution". Fantastic read.
    jimspac likes this.
  8. Auto5guy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165, 2004 WB165, 1984 wr400
    Other Motorcycles:
    1978 Maico 400, 1974 Penton 400
    I vintage race a 74 Penton 250 and a 74 Penton 400. Each is competitive as a motocrosser but you can really see the woods rider influence of John Penton. The foot pegs set higher up and farther back than on similar era MX bikes. That helps keep the feet out of deep trail ruts and make it easier to loft the front wheel over logs and such but harder to keep a good weight forward position for MX. The first generation KTM engine in these bikes have cooling fins on the air cooled barrel twice as wide as any other machine of the era. Obviously designed by a guy who's had a bike seize on him after getting the fins clogged with mud in a mud hole 20 miles from nowhere. It is a weight penalty in the MX world though. The frames from 72-75 are called "high breather" frames because the top of the air box seals against a sheet metal chamber under the seat that ducts the air from holes in the spine of the frame under the tank. You can run those things in water up to the seat base and not drown them. It is a bit restrictive however if you're looking for max HP. So most MX guys open up the air box.
  9. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    I dont wanna Jinx him, but if Max Nagl keeps his $hit together HUSQVARNA will have another World Championship under their belt. maybe even an Arenacross championship with Regal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Swedish, Italian or Austrian they are still Huskys. And in my book thats all that matters.
    DaveM likes this.