Auxiliary LED light for my TE 630

Discussion in '610/630' started by BobPS, Dec 7, 2015.

1. BobPS Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster 795
    Hi guys,

I need more light and want to buy a pair of auxiliary LED lights.

When riding at night, in rain, something that I have to do lately and will have to do for another 6 months, during this rainy season... the stock headlight is useless.

I read almost all of the aux light threads over on advrider but I need recommendation from fellow TE630 or 610 riders.

So what brand of aux LED light would you suggest? And is there any CH sponsor that sells aux led light? I prefer buying from CH sponsor.

Thanks in advance guys.
  2. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    ADVMonster light pods are a great fit, I went with the 2000 lumen model and they are stupid bright. They have a 3600 lumen model but that's too much light for street use in my opinion, and you'll be blind when you go back to low beam. I tied the relay for them into the high beam circuit.

THESE are the ones I have. I think they're using better lenses now, a rock cracked one of mine and I replaced it with lexan.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    julienl, BobPS and 268fords like this.
  3. BobPS Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster 795
    Thanks RDTCU:thumbsup:

Did you buy/have to buy the harness kit?
    Since I do not plan to install it myself, I know nothing about eletronics...and plan to take it to the dealership an have them install it, is it not necessary for me to buy the harness kit?
  4. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    You can, but the harness they sell is $40 for $10 worth of stuff.
    It may save you some hassle though. Just tell the dealer how you want it activated, like I said, i just have them come on with the high beam.
    You may want to splurge for the heavy duty mount, I would just use a button head screw with a wide head to mount it straight through the tank shroud.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I work for Trail Tech now and we do lighting. We build all our own lights not relabeled stuff. We have top engineers here. We have a KTM 990 here with 2 of these 70mm 2500 lumen output lights and they are amazingly bright. This is a great light. Adding 2 of them to my Buell right now. They have high and low settings (30/15 watt)

http://www.trailtech.net/lighting/led/70mm-led

[IMG]

We also have these 75mm ones on sale right now and they are very bright and 1200 lumens and only draw 14 watts. All top quality stuff, tempered class, aluminum enclosures and designed and built here.

http://www.trailtech.net/lighting/led/75mm-led

[IMG]

Just letting you know about American made options. No plastic and real tempered glass.
  6. BobPS Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster 795
    Thanks RDTCU.

Motosportz thank you. I visited Trail Tech site several days ago but when I got to the Select Your Vehicle, there's no TE 630 in the scroll down option, so I thought no aux light available for TE 630.

For my needs, which aux led light would you suggest?

I commute on my TE 630 everyday. I usually change bike every week. So for instance, one week I ride my TE 630, the next week I ride my Monster. Anyway, I ride my TE on road all the time. Even my weekend rides which I hate to admit is something that I seldom do this past year... even my weekend ride is on road... albeit on really bad road, road holes everywhere, that almost like off road, but it's not trail riding.

So, I don't want to blind the incoming traffic or, as RDTCU mentioned, get blind when turn to low beam.
    Will the 70 mm fits my need? Is this light connected to the low beam and the high beam wiring of the bike, or does it have its own wiring/switch?
    Thanks

edit: I just followed the link and read that the 70 mm comes with a switch...this switch is for high and low beam, right?
  7. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Nice, I like that, especially the high-low setting.
    I would probably signal relays with both the high and low factory circuits, and have a switch to disable them.

As far as the quality on the ADVmonster lights, the only issue I've had was the one cracked lens, and I've had them for about 3 years of hard riding now, but I definitely prefer American-made when there's a choice.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The 70s are very bright and can be harsh to oncoming traffic. The low setting is still bright but passable for on all the time use then you can click it to high for high beams and it really throws a ton of light out there. They are post mount so you can mount them to anything in a sort of universal system no bike specific stuff. We do have a line of mounts for them...

http://www.trailtech.net/lighting/accessories?x2_accessory=93

BTW I took the shop truck to an event, it has 2 of these in the bumper. I was coming over a dark rainy mountain pass (Mt hood) and clicked them on and WOW. It put the stock F150 high beams to shame which are pretty good lights to start with. It was 3x brighter with the 70s on. Stunning amount of light.
  9. BobPS Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster 795
    Motosportz, I went to your site again and I think the 60 mm will suit me better than the 70 mm...am I correct? It has three settings and I guess it's not too bright. My thinking is, at its lowest setting, it will at least make me more visible to other vehicles, add my visibility... and at medium setting hopefully it's brighter than the stock headlight.... is it brighter than the stock headlight at medium?

Now, for the mount... forTE 630 what mount do you suggest and if I want to mount the light on the fork...lower triple clamp...what mount should I use?
  10. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    I mounted mine where they wouldn't get damaged in a drop. Made some L brackets and mounted them to the handguards. It's easy to adjust beam up/down and sideways. I have a double throw switch (SPDT) so they can be: on with the key - off - on with high beams. The little bulb above the headlight is my power source for "on w/ the key" and that's how I ride 99% of the time (for visibility/to avoid collisions on the trail). I almost never ride this bike in night time traffic, but the "on w/ high beams" is useful there.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

BobPS and Thumperama like this.
  11. BobPS Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster 795
    Is it possible to wire the aux led light so that the light operates like the stock headlight?
    I mean, it's on (at low setting) when the engine runs, so practically as a running light...then when I pull the high beam or push high beam button, it goes to high setting and as a high beam. Is it possible?
  12. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Yes, there are a lot of PWM dimmers that offer adjustable brightness on low beam and 100% on high beam.

13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I don't know, I am really partial to the 70mm one as I think it is a great light. Smaller format and really an amazing amount of light. I think you would be fine with it aimed correctly and on low for high density oncoming traffic and then flip it to high when you need ridiculous amounts of light.

BTW there is a huge difference between engineered designs like ours which admittedly cost more and the cheap rebranded LED offerings.
  14. BobPS Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster 795
    Thanks Motosportz. Hopefully I can place my order soon.

RDTCU, how did you mount the lights in there? Did you drill holes there?
    In the picture #1 of your set up, is it possible to mount the light to the bolt above it (in that picture), the one that holds the cover to the fuel tank?

Dynobob, I also have the same barkbuster on my bike...so if I end up mounting the light to the barkbuster, I will mount it to the same place as yours.

Thanks.
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  15. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

You would have to fab up a custom mount to make that work.
    I just drilled a hole through the tank shroud and used the supplied mounts with a fender bolt and locknut.
  16. julienl Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    501 FE 2015 My NEW
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT 500 1980/630 SMS 2011(sold out)
    LED Lumière AMAZON,
    [IMG]

Attached Files:

17. julienl Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle: