1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Auto's with back brake lever on the bars ?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Iveanoldhusky, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Iveanoldhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 WR250 & 1977 360 Auto
    Other Motorcycles:
    Norton 1952 ES2 & 1976 Maico MC250
    I've heard of this being done back in time but never seen how it all goes together and what linkages/cables were used ? Does anybody have photos or parts, or actually in operation on their bike today ? I'd be interested to see.

Cheers

Craig
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I will try and remember to take some pictures but the bike is not in operation today I was switching front ends around years ago and it sits with the engine area on the floor.

The battery ktm freeride with the rear brake on the handlebar is way better, equal squeeze on the brake levers concentrate on something else. At least for a downhill straight.

I know I did it on the 420 I think I made a bracket kind of near the sprocket for the cable end and grafted on the end of brake rod and pivot parts for the drum in addition to end already there. Drilled a hole in the short rod and soldered in the cable wire. Would be interested in what the factory guys or others did.

If you are really serious I would consider migrating to a chassis from the older single cam four stroke in the Italian section with disc brake rear wheel and grafting on an additional caliper holder. Probably in the 100x the effort though.
  3. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
  4. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    The fixing point on the sprocket cover is a front brake part as standard 15 12 315-01. The cover will be the same as your 360.
    The cable is a longer version of a standard front brake. I don't have the specs to hand.
    The small piece welded to the rear brake lever is the end cut off a standard front brake lever 15 16 747-01.
    Even the pin and r-clip are standard Husky.
    I really love this set up, and hardly ever use the footbrake. Going fast into corners is great, just like riding a mountain bike :-)
  5. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I believe I did it on the 86 ae430 and used the rear wheel and backing plate on a hillclimb project so apparently what I described above does not match the picture. hq420.lhrb.at.sprocket.jpg
  6. Iveanoldhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 WR250 & 1977 360 Auto
    Other Motorcycles:
    Norton 1952 ES2 & 1976 Maico MC250
    Thanks all......a problem solved !
  7. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

IMG_4264.JPG IMG_4266.JPG

Things I'm working on.
  8. DaveM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 570
    Other Motorcycles:
    Motorised Bicycle
    Would on of these be of any use?

I use one on my motorized mountain bike, it works really well and is really well made.

Have set it up with a bias towards the rear brake, so I don't lock up the front wheel when I grab a handful of brake.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUNLITE...m58d21a0d00:g:BFgAAOSwMHdXSGqi&frcectupt=true

Will need to drill out the holes for the bigger barrel end of the motorcycle cable, will be interesting to see if it can be made to work.

Cheers, Dave.:)