1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Automatic Owners

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by redman, Oct 29, 2017.

1. redman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    77 360 automatic
    Other Motorcycles:
    ec200 Gas Gas
    I have a '77' 360 auto and the seal that's on the arm that engages and disengages (think it's called the declutching shaft) the clutch is leaking. It's the one on the right side that the cable actually connects to. My question : Can I replace this from the outside without disassembling the motor ( of course I would remove the arm but the shaft would still be there ) ???

Thanks
  2. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    It is possible yes. Better still to pull the side cover, main clutch and check the clutches while it is apart. It only takes 15 minutes.
    You can disconnect the arm from the inside and make the job easier. No need to split the case as you would with a manual gear box.
    oldbikedude likes this.
  3. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I do not think I ever changed one of those seals. Does it really leak in any significant way? For the standard shift the shaft when pulled pulls the seal. I have had 420 and 430 apart but they engage somewhat differently, not even sure the shaft on them can be pulled. Chances are I could pull it out demo style without scarring the case otherwise I can not answer. I do not see how pulling the main cover and the main clutch as described in post 2 would help. What you describe on the right side would not be able to touch the way it seems to me. I would not break that taper on the crank any more than necessary.
  4. redman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    77 360 automatic
    Other Motorcycles:
    ec200 Gas Gas
    Ok, thanks grouty. I'm was just being lazy. I just had the side case off to make sure none of the springs where broke, all was good so I reassembled. Just got the bike running after sitting for close to 25 years. I rode up and down the driveway twice and noticed oil on top of the case coming from that seal.

fran...K, yes when you pull all the clutch packs out you can reach through to the other side of the motor.

Thanks, again
  5. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    First one pulls off the taper fit to the crankshaft then the whole shaft with the drum, clutch packs if you wish, comes out. The other shaft comes out with a plate around the sprocket. The only reason to split the cases would be to do crank or primary drive side crank seal work. I do not know if it counts as cassette or not.

I put a snip from the parts sheet for the 420. Looks to me like there is a bolt on piece to the shaft that once separated from the shaft will allow the shaft to be withdrawn but you are still looking at demo style removing unless you have some sort of seal puller. The 360 and 390 are somewhat different but chances are the lever still slides something along the shaft.

Attached Files: