1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Auto teardown

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by dumpbear, Dec 16, 2017.

1. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360wr burl rep/74works bike/76360wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    Hello all you auto guys i'm getting ready to tear down my 420auto after xmas. I have ordered my spring retainer cover and a new set of primary springs.My question is would you replace all the springs for every gear? and if there is a broken or damaged spring do you replace all three or just the one that's bad. I have downloaded the teardown and rebuild of the army auto thanks for posting that Michel it will be very helpful, thanks in advance to all.
    Tom
  2. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    I have never broken any of the other springs so if not broken I would leave them, also on the 1st gear springs if they look good I am inclined to keep using them on the grounds you can not be sure on the provenance of the replacement springs. I save unbroken springs from sets with the idea if they have't broken they must be good!
  3. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    I go with Steve. If they are not broken, leave them be. I polish the area around where the first gear springs fit in the shoes. No sharp edges and nice rounded corners. So far (touches wood !) I have never broken a spring. Re-cut the grooves in the shoes with a hacksaw blade. Check and clean any debris out of the first gear bearings on the crank. Do the same with the short auxillary shaft (very carefully !). When you have done this you will wonder what all the fuss is about. I have never seen anything so simple to strip, service and re-assemble.
    oldbikedude likes this.
  4. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

No sharp edges on the hub's holes !

Special tool -2-.jpg
    oldbikedude likes this.
  5. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

A good spring retainer !

Spring cover military 2.jpg Plaque ressorts .JPG 430 AE Busselton Motorcycle 6.jpg
    oldbikedude likes this.
  6. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

MAGNETS EPOXY GLUED IN ORDER TO RETAIN STEEL DUST !

HPIM1776 - Copie.JPG
  7. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Great pictures and idea with the magnets.
  8. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    Thanks guys for the info so it sounds like the springs that break are the primary ones thats good to know thats saves me some cash if i don't have to buy a set of springs for every gear i can put that money towards the tranny oil.Thanks Michel for the pics they are a big help.Merry Xmas to all.
    Tom
  9. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

10. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

11. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    Grouty can you explain the (very carefully) of cleaning the other shaft bearings.
  12. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The auxillary shaft has both needle roller bearings and one way (sprag) bearings. Be careful how you dismantle. As you pull them off the shaft you will need to turn them slightly otherwise they will lock up. Look to see that the little dog bones are still attached to the bearing (there is a small wire band). If you just pull them off you may find you have a lap full of very small pieces. Clean them gently with some solvent or such to get any bronze or steel swarf out. Make sure you put them back in the correct way. Otherwise you can have 4 reverse gears :D
    Hope I've answered your question :)
  13. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    Yes Grouty you answered my question and created another "turn slightly" can they be unlocked? I just cant put them in the parts cleaner and swish them around? Now your worrying me again:excuseme:
  14. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The best thing for cleaning the sprags is an aerosol can of brake cleaner. That should push the crud out without damage. It will then evaporate away (do it outside and don't smoke :)). You may find they are clean anyway, but best to check them. Check the surface they run on for damage (use your finger nail to feel for low wear points).

If you turn them in the "lock" direction they will become tight, turn them the other way and they free up and slide off. They are a very precise piece of kit.
  15. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    That sounds alot better thanks Grouty.
  16. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    What I've seen over the years is the problem is more the dog bone cage.If the cage is broken and won't hold the dogs then it leads to problems. A good bearing should be able to be removed,cleaned and the dogs stay in place.
  17. 250 auto Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 auto wr 250 wr 390auto 420 auto
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta 350rr rockon mx2 rokon rt340
    I have most of the freewheels if you need any and I'm close by in Greenville,mi
    Al

i
  18. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    Thanks Al i will keep that in mind when i get into and see what i might need i appreciate it.
    Tom