Auto-retracting kickstand fix

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Runner, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE510
    I just brought home a new-to-me 2006 TE-510 which I dearly love. The only wart I've found on her is this dangerous and annoying auto-retracting kickstand. All I want it is to behave like a normal kickstand. The seller said I can simply cut off the head on the screw that causes the kickstand to retract. This would be butchering the bike. Can I change to a screw with a short head height? What's the size of this screw? Is there a better solution? What was done on the earlier bikes?

Sorry if this is a repost, but I searched and did not find a solution here.
    :thumbsup:
  2. rajobigguy Administrator

Most people just cut off the extended head, you'll never notice it visually. But if you must have the alternative bolt then you should call Motosportz.
    Their one of our sponsors here and I believe they carry the correct shoulder bolt.
  3. Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE510
    Thanks, rajobiguy, they've got the bolt.
  4. Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE510
    I ordered the Motorsportz screw, and will write back on how well it works.

Attached Files:

5. Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE510
    It works great! A spring puller made disconnecting the kickstand spring easy and the Motosportz screw replaced the stock screw perfectly. A drop of Loctite and reconnecting the spring finished the job. Now the kickstand behaves predictably and I did not have to butcher the bike. :doh:
  6. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I cut mine off and smoothed it out with a bench grinder. It looks like it came that way. I don't know who in their right mind would think an auto retracting kickstand is a good idea.
  7. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    I'm assuming that it is so that the kickstand goes past center if you take off and forget to put the kickstand up...
  8. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    I believe it's a legal requirement to either have the auto-retracting style, or a kickstand switch to prevent you from riding with it down.
  9. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You are right on. A legal requirement. The government doesn't trust you to put the kickstand up before you take off.:eek:
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    its good fun to watch someone high side on the first bump. Why do they take all the fun stuff away?
  11. dualie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM 610
    Could someone post a pic of the fix? For whatever reason, I'm clueless as to how others have disabled the auto up kickstand. Matter of fact, "Runner" stated that he put the spring back on after taking it off? Doesn't make any sense, unless he means that he removed the inner spring and then reconnected the outer spring to reduce the tension? If so, I'm guessing that the outer spring does not auto retract the kickstand. Instead, it just keeps the kickstand against the swingarm, correct? If so, does anyone have any pics?
  12. Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE510
    Hey dualie, the fix is nothing more than removing the stock screw and installing the screw I've shown. Everythign else is reinstalled as before.
  13. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Here's a pic of mine.

Attached Files:

14. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    my Aprilia SXV had the same thing... little Dremel work and all was well. the WR will be getting the same 'fix'
  15. dualie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM 610
    Decided to edit my previous responses here.

The fix for me was as some have suggested: I cut the extension piece off of the kickstand bolt head with a dremel cutting wheel tool bit. Afterwards, I grinded and polished the bolt head with a dremel sanding drum tool bit. Also, as others have mentioned, I didn't have to remove the spring or the bolt to perform the mod.
  16. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I hated that thing the instant I got the bike. I've never had a bike like that before. I think I cut it off the first day.
  17. jxg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '10 TE250
    i know this is an older post, but just as an FYI for others who do this swap. I just did it on my te-250, and I did not have to remove the spring. i just put the kickstand up, removed the old bolt, and put the new one in place.
  18. supdve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks fellas!! I be cuttin mine off tomorow...dropped my wr twice so far in the shop.
  19. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    even the 2010 bikes have still got this shit design and wobbly stand. unreal that this crap still exists....
  20. juanroberts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Old thread, but, for the newer Husky (2018 FE350), there is a quick video:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GvCoP-VCoV0

I had the shorter main pivot bolt from the Tusk 178 piece European bolt kit. A straight swap and I did not need to remove the kickstand as mentioned.

Attached Files: