AUS/Vic/Melbourne...Terra/ Strada Pod-Mod workshop

Discussion in 'TR650' started by glitch_oz, Jul 5, 2014.

1. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Hi folks
    Thinking of organizing a Pod-Mod day for anyone who wants to do it.
    Bring your parts and bike and tools on the day to do the job.
    Got garage space for 2 bikes at a time, plus 2 more spots for prepping and finishing off.
    Should have enough time (and coffee/ hot soup) to do at least 6 bikes on the day.

I've done mine and 2 mates are eager to do theirs on the day....might as well cast the net wider and do a few more.
    PM for slots and details...and please do your homework upfront, as it's YOU who's sinking the hacksaw-blade into the airbox!!

Date is NOT set yet, but will be within the next 3-4 weekends, most likely a rainy Saturday.

EDIT: DATE SET! 9.August from 8.30am
    PM for address and Gmap (for those who don't know where it's at :-))
  2. ozav8r Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS, BMWK1200RS
    That idea is PURE GOLD!! I would be very grateful to have someone like yourself holding my hand (well OK - looking over my shoulder) while doing this!! Will bring refreshments - what's your brew?
  3. ozav8r Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS, BMWK1200RS
    Following dates are good with me:
    Weekend 18-20/7
    Sunday 27/7
    Sunday 3/8
    Weekend 8-10/8
  4. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Let's see how it rolls and how many put up their hand for this.
    I know of a few owners sitting between chairs... dealer, warranty hassles and parts supply questions/ doubts on one hand....edgy about "taking the risk" and uncertainty about the tech side/ how-to, potential pitfalls/ lack of tools etc on the other. But determined to do SOMETHING as the problem doesn't go away on its own.

Others have made up their mind and even progressed to spending $+ effort on sourcing parts...
    perhaps an opportunity like that gets a few more bikes "in the clear".

Get those pm's and replies rolling, folks.... getting a set of parts can take as little as a week.
    I even got a spare, new Uni filter on the shelf if needed.
  5. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    EDIT: DATE SET! 9.August from 8.30am
    PM for address and Gmap (for those who don't know where it's at :-))
  6. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Was just about to hit reply and say 'you bet' when my wife reminded me that we'll be away at that time :(

Perhaps a post-pod-mod ride would be the go early spring for those in the vicinity.
  7. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Can't win, aye?

Certainly will put on a ride afterwards. There are always local Melbourne rides going at AusTouring.com, which is also the adopted home of the Openroad Tourers.
    Road or ADV, there's a good variety of rides going all through the year. Much local, lesser interstate, some overseas.
    There are now 5 Terras/ Stradas in that mob, too. I'll x-post something here...
  8. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Just bumping this.....it's still on as planned and there'll be other mods and TR-wrenching going on as well.
    PaulC likes this.
  9. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Well, a very successful day (and a nice sunny day too fortunately, considering the time of year. Two Terra pod-mod's performed, mine and ozav8r's. Both bikes previously had the UniFilter foam filter in place of the paper factory filter and happy to report that both airboxes were spotless and dust free. I almost always ride with earplugs but I rode half the way home today without earplugs. Didn't noticed any more noise than before coming from the airbox.
    Many thanks to glitch_oz for offering his workshop, time, experience (and practically did all the work too). It was all very simple once you have someone who know's exactly what they're doing on the job.
    I think I counted 10 bikes in the driveway at one stage, so plenty of locals dropping in for a look and a coffee, including 4 TR650 owners.
    Quirky and Slowflyer like this.
  10. ozav8r Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS, BMWK1200RS
    Huge thanks to Pete, that guy has forgotten more about bikes, than I will ever know! He did the PodMod (airbox was thankfully squiky clean - pheeew), swingarm drilling (dry - another pheeew) and internal coating as well as the new foldable brake-lever (red anodized - VERY bling!!) I seemed to notice a bit more of a growl during hard acceleration, but certainly nothing to worry about. If anything it just sounds BETTER! Minestrone soup and sour-dough bread was beautiful, so thanks to Pete and Goodie - great day out!!
    Quirky and nev.. like this.
  11. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Thanks for coming along, guys...it was a pleasure!
    And fun!
    And that foldable brake-lever tip rounded off a nice day of sinking the hacksaw into your bikes, playing with your intakes and
    sticking a Unifilter into any conceivable crevasse that a TR might offer ;);)

Now I just want to kill the mongrel who came up with that green baby-poo to seal those rusty swingarms...
    it'll be hard to explain at work why there's only the hands of The Hulk present ...and not the rest of it.
    That stuff sticks to skin like shit to a carpet!!
    :cheers:\Great day
  12. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    mag00 likes this.
  13. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Just wondering, why is there crap on your carpet?
    Slowflyer likes this.
  14. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

This is what my airbox looked like after the cutting but before the vaccuuming.

[IMG]

Pod in situ

[IMG]

Buttoned up

[IMG]
    mag00 likes this.
  15. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

It all turned into a general day on the tools in the end.
    A Trumpy getting the front anchors juiced up

[IMG]

A KLR got some new cogs and a fresh chain

[IMG]

[IMG]

The odd TR getting surgery

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Lots of jeers and cajoling from the peanut gallery.

ozav8tr (somewhat blurred) in the rear left, "underneath" that dangling tire. Nev (light-coloured T-shirt) inspecting the rear of ozav8tr's Terra, self in those bright-blue panty/ pale-olive sweater.

[IMG]
    mag00 and PaulC like this.
  16. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Checking how big a hole we can drill into TR swingarms for the internal coating treatment (the green baby-poo schtuff)
    Nev on the left... ozav8tr wielding the camera , kneeling on the right....self looking wondrously at a Terra's underbelly.

[IMG]

....while the Eminenzia pondered the theological spin on the proceedings :p:p

[IMG]

After the essentials came the fun

[IMG]

The real reason they all showed up on a Melbourne winter's day:
    The huge pot of homemade Minestrone and fresh sourdough rolls, brewed coffee and the rest of it.

[IMG]

Not a bad day, if you ask me! Sadly haven't got a shot of Greg who did show up in the end, hobbling down the drive on a stick after a freshly broken ankle from a prang the day before.
    Thumbs up for popping in, mate!!:applause:

Nev on the right trying to preach some "Terra" to the heathens :-)

[IMG]
    PaulC and Biff Malibu like this.
  17. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Due to a lack of TR's :eek::D, only 2 Terra's got done. Both had surprisingly clean airboxes, Nev's showed some signs of previous cleaning (by the shop) though....no accurate idea of how clean or dirty it might've been before.
    Both instals went fine, the set of US-sourced parts turned out the easier and faster option, but in the end it all comes to the same result: Clean Air down the throat.
    Learned how to tear the side-panel off the front clip, thanks to Nev for that.
    The red brake lever tip took a little metal-work to fit but was easy enough to hook onto the stock brake-lever.

"Busted-ankle-Greg" has recently taken his instrument cluster apart and found a way to hook a couple of superfine wires to the "S" switch button (the one that seems to break after a while of use), cleverly terminating the wires in 2 external posts on the plastic case, which in return has an twin-wire connection soldered to the, mostly unused, high-beam-flasher-switch in the left switchblock (YES, there IS one!!).
    Having your hands on the grips, the left pointer-finger can now scroll through the dashboard menu, bare hands or gloves.
    I'll try to have a look at his bike as soon as possible.
    The wires from the external switch to the instrument case can be easily detached and the instruments removed, if needed. If those wires snag and tear, only those have to be replaced/ repaired, and NOT the internal instrument-case mods repaired/ re-done. It's also totally waterproof.
  18. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Brute force. Is there another method?
    drzcharlie likes this.
  19. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Great shop day guys. How about dropping back and annotating who is whom in your pictures so we can get a feel for the forum members faces?
  20. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Done