Assessing chain & sprocket wear

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Mbcoulter, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Mbcoulter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Husky WR250
    After many moons of not riding and not having a dirt bike, I have recently gotten back into the game again with a used 2011 WR250. The original owner said that the chain and sprockets are the original ones and as I look more closely I can see the chain is Regina oring and the rear sprocket does have a Husqvarna logo on it.

A long time ago I used to assess wear by how much I could pull the chain away from the rear sprocket. If I could see 1/2 or more of the tooth, it was time to replace.

How do people judge this wear now?

What chain / sprocket combo do folks recommend? I would much prefer long wear over any weight savings here... :thumbsup:
  2. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    Your method is tried and true, stick with it.
    Personally I prefer steel rear sprockets based on price and (perceived) durability.
    ray_ray likes this.
  3. Mbcoulter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Husky WR250
    Thanks, here is what I see on my bike. Thoughts on replacing with another Regina chain and JT steel sprockets?

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    ray_ray likes this.
  4. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    Mbcoulter, given the wear of the sprocket and chain sideplates id be replacing them.

I use jt sprockets and DID X-ring chains. No proof they're better than others, just cos they're known brands (I don't have the desire, discipline or budget to back to back testing).
    I believe any recognised brand, sealed chain will be fine (eg. DID, Regina, Renthal, Tsubaki).

Maybe someone here can advise on ratios that may better suit your bike and riding.
  5. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Personally I'd run 'em a few more rides yet. Normally by the time the rear sprocket is toast it's time for new everything. Normally get 3 front sprockets to a rear.

JT, Sunstar, RHK ultralite(which I'm currently running) all
    seem decent steel sprockets. Even got coupla Chinese brand 52T to try next. Longest lasting sprocket I bought from MXpartsNZ. Cheap & lasted years! I use chinga oring chains which are slightly heavier & wider but do the job fine!
  6. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    Leave them all . They will all wear evenly . Replace them as a set in ages .
    Only worry about them if you are planning on changing sprockets for ratio reasons etc .
    Like I'm less you have a 2000km trip planned there's no harm
    Replace them all when the rollers start rattling on the pins
  7. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    My stock Regina chains & a recent one also lost a roller so knew it was time to replace haha
  8. Mbcoulter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Husky WR250
    Well, maybe I will ride them for the rest of this year and replace over the winter. And yes, my plan is to replace both sprockets and chain at the same time :-)
  9. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    REGINA chain and JT steel sprockets area great choice.
  10. Mbcoulter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Husky WR250
    Found a great deal and placed the order for steel JT sprockets and a Regina X-Ring Gold Enduro chain. These were about $120 shipped... Black steel sprocket and gold chain... Sounds kind of blingly :cheers:
    jack topper and Oldscool like this.
  11. gaz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Went similar on the WR250 with black JT sprocket and gold RHK x chain. Probably 50 hours and still going good, especially the cogs.
    Mbcoulter likes this.