1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

arrgh. valve shim dilemma..

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by stainlesscycle1, Mar 18, 2009.

1. stainlesscycle1 Husqvarna
    A Class

so, i couldn't figure out why my bike was backfiring, i went in to check cam timing again, and it appears the shim had fallen outta left side exhaust valve cup. needless to say the rocker smashed the valve cup enough to not allow a shim to fit (i found the shim laying in the head..) anyway to swap the valve cup out without pulling the head? (i assume the answer is no... don't know how i'd compress the spring enough to pull the keepers...and even if i did, re-installing in the bike would just suck.) i doubt that i can 're-shape' the valve cup to get a shim to fit..it's only a coupla thousands of smashing, but it's enough..

so anyways, i see there are 3 different head gasket thicknesses - i assume to increase compression - should i just get the thinnest one - or what? i'm guessing i might as well replace the valves as well when i'm in there...
  2. stainlesscycle1 Husqvarna
    A Class

3. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Place piston at TDC and apply shop air in spark plug hole. Should be able to remove valve spring and related parts.
  4. stainlesscycle1 Husqvarna
    A Class

yeah, i can hold the valve up, but how to compress the spring enough to pull the keepers?
  5. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Valve spring compression tool is way it's done on cars, I'm guessing the same method works on bikes, just a different size?

http://www.chain-auto-tools.com/motorcycle/AMR038E-1.htm
  6. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Those only work with the head off... he is trying to replace the spring cap without pulling the head.

For removal without using the spring compressor my friend (ASE master tech) always uses a socket and hammer... He pops the top of the spring cap and the retainers will pop out. He does that even with the head removed because it was faster than using the clumsy tool when working with 16 valve heads... For him time is money.

For reassembly I have heard of people filling the cylinder with soft rope and running the piston up against the rope to hold the valves, never tried it myself. I am not sure how you would compress the spring to get the retainers back in though, might take a couple extra hands... :excuseme:

If it was mine I would just pull the head off.

Later,
  7. stainlesscycle1 Husqvarna
    A Class

yep, i pulled the head. i thought it would clear the frame, but i had to semi-pull the motor to pull the head (head does not clear frame...). i have valves out already, and am swapping new ones in on friday... i have a ohv valve spring compressor i thought i could sneak in there, but it wouldn't clear. so i pulled it and used the regular old valve spring compressor..
  8. stainlesscycle1 Husqvarna
    A Class

yes, i was gonna try to do it in the bike, but i've already pulled it so... i guess more junk gets done on it..
  9. stainlesscycle1 Husqvarna
    A Class

another question..

do i just put piston at tdc when i align the cam chain - i know the 2 dots on the idler line up with the 'v', but is there a dot on the cam chain crank gear to line up? i'd really like to not install it 180 out...
  10. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    since your question was unanswered- I'll bump it up- and throw what I can think of at the wall

but don't take my word for it I haven't had a husky apart- but if the piston is at tdc- what should make it the right TDC is that the valves are set to their marks that would be tdc. SO you can make either tdc- the right one with correct set up of your chain-cams...

the only thing- I can think of is on another bike I own (ktmrfs) the flywheel had a landing on it that lined up with the pulser coil when it was tdc- I don't know has any- extra- indicators of tdc like that...

if you figured this out let us know how it goes:thumbsup:
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yep.