1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Apologies if you have already seen this!!!

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by hva-factory, Sep 25, 2014.

1. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
  2. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Cool video, good to see they haven't forgot where they came from, The Legend lives on :cheers:
  3. w2ge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 BMW R1200RT
    Thanks.. No I'd never seen that vid.. Man, you can see the trials background in him...
  4. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    People can complain and say the new bikes are "just KTMs with white plastic" but they are closer to the spirit of the original Swedish company than Cagiva ever got. When did you ever see a vintage twin shock Husqvarna used in advertising during the Italian years? Never.
  5. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    It does seem consistent with what the new Husqvarna ownership is promoting. The Swedish roots/success seem to be the focus and IMO a lack of recognition/respect for the Cagiva era. Not sure if there's animosity or something deeper? This is just my opinion and should not be taken out of context.
  6. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm OK with promoting the Swedish roots, since the vast majority of the Husqvarna success in racing happened during the Swedish years.
    310huskyTE likes this.
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    pretty cool to see graham on an old swede smoker
  8. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You would be correct about American success, but the majority of the world championships were actually won under the Italians. KTMs marketing is very good though.
  9. RUF Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 air, 400WR 85, 430WR 87
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R80GS, GILERA 175RC 1972........
    WOW !!!
    Thanks Andy....
  10. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    Very nice marketing, Success !
    I have always wanted to see a pro of today's standards working a vintage husky . Just to let me know that it is capable and keep believing in my riding skills. "more please" lol
  11. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    They won 12 world MX Championships during the Swedish era, how many did they win during the Italian era? 3? I'm not sure you can even count Martens 1993 championship on the 610 for the Italians since its completely a Swedish design, so really its just Chiodi's two 125 championships. Husqvarna did win a lot or World Enduro championships during the Italian era, I will give them that, but half of them were also on the Swedish designed four strokes of various sizes.
    husky jim likes this.
  12. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Wow awesome tribute to the legendary husqvarna motorcycles.

Husqvarna dirtbikes, buy it, ride it, breathe it, live it, feel it, there history is unmatched.

It's the late 60's to the late 80's that cemented the rock solid history of husqvarna. Like every company lately who is a world leader needs to stay on top of there game but also look to the future at the same time. The technology changes so fast. Your either a leader in the forefront or boxed in at the back of the pack. I hope husqvarna works out in its new home.

In desert racing the whole front row is mainly husqvarna.

I have no clue why the husqvarna dirtbike isn't successful in supercross. In the woods the bike is the quickest.
  13. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Because the new bike has never competed in SX yet. The old Italian bike tried in 2001 with the DKNY Fast By Ferrcci team and it was a complete and total failure in SX and outdoors, the riders on that team all said it was by far the worst bike they ever raced.
    Rroad likes this.
  14. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    It's a different feel and frame/fork design from the japanese bikes. We never rode nothing but husqvarna so to me the jap bikes feel different. Even the kantoons feel like the husqvarna handling wise. It's a European thing. Your standing up most of the time anyway. It's the degrees on the front fork that's different. In time thrill get use to it. Could it be the bikes a tad too fast? Like I said only the time spent riding it will improve the rider if he is interested in riding it. It is a slight different ride. But that's me.
  15. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    It wasnt a matter of feel, the bikes were terrible. They broke swing arms, they broke frames, cranks locked up, shocks blew up, clutches exploded, I think in the 2001 SX and outdoors seasons they DNFed something like 30% of the bikes they entered. I have no idea if that was a result of the Fast by Ferracci team who were a road racing team that knew nothing about motocross, or if it was the bikes themselves. Here is a link to a story from Jason Thomas who rode on that team.

http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/tell-us-story/tell-us-story-jason-thomas

At one point, I ran out of gas in 5 straight motos due to a malfunctioning check valve in the gas tank hose. At about the 15 minute mark, the bike would start boiling the fuel (due to vapor lock) and the carburetor would dump excess fuel out the overflow. I actually had a great weekend going at Budds Creek and would have finished both motos inside the top ten had I not run out of fuel in the waning minutes. The team finally solved the issue after 5 consecutive DNF’s only to DNF the 6thmoto when the crankshaft said no mas.

Another of the many issues were swingarms. The main weld tying the swingarm together apparently was faulty on all of the swingarms made that year. I ended up going through 17 swingarms in that outdoor season and there were a few weekends where it had to be replaced after practice and then again in between motos. This was just how the season went. If I was actually riding well, the bike would break. If the bike actually did stay together, I usually was riding poorly. It was a long year to say the least and one of those decisions that you look back on and wish for the chance to change. Signing that Husky contract is honestly one of my only regrets in my career. I made a poor decision and paid a heavy price.

Here is a video of JT and one of the other riders, Travis Preston, who actually won a SX on the Husky, almost by accident, talking about the bike and the team.

http://www.pulpmx.com/video/pulpmx-showpro-183

They can laugh about it now, but its pretty clear the bike was a pile of junk.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    What the hell are you talking about Travis Prestons 125 was so freaking fast he did not even know he had won the SX is 2001 :D

Gram Gravis is a stud.

The vid is corny but the riding is amazing as usual.

I also find it odd they comply ignore the italian bikes. They were as much husky as their bikes are now. All good, its their company to do whatever they like with it and seem to be making the best of it for them.
  17. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The swing arms broke as far back as '98. They the guy who purchased the sister bike to mine when his swing arm broke they couldn't get him a new one. Getting replacement parts has always been a problem with the newer husqvarna. I hope it's better today? I couldn't jet my 250wr. If you were wide open all the time it was ok. I lost $1,500 when I sold the 98 250wr.

With my new '99 TE 610e dual sport the arc'd plate that guided the shifter pawls was the wrong diameter. Mine all of a sudden jammed up on my first off road ride. Then on the new designed 610 the dowel pin holes that held the outer star ring on the oil pump housing were drilled too deep. The pins moved in and the oil pump housing turned and it lost oil pressure to the head. It wiped out the cam and followers/rockers. I had no miles on it, well maybe 200 if that. The power was awesome. I lost $1,000 on this bike the dealer bought it back. I had serious words with Ferraci himself. He wasn't nice too.

I just have a curse with new bikes.

I purchased a left over 510 husaberg. I rode it in my yard maybe one mile. The ignition cover was dripping oil. I found out the dealer who originally had it took the better lighting coil ignition out of it and left the screws loose and the case cracked. Then the dealer who first had it went out of business and my dealer ended up with the stripped New bikes. I argued with KTM for a new motor but no way they wanted to replace the case half. I got my money back in full and was asked not to purchase another KTM product. Nice? That was it with me and KTM. They weren't nice to me the customer at all.

I went back to my husqvarna left kickers. I'm cursed. I purchased an '86 400 wrx non runner for $150.

I originally sold my 72 Suzuki TS 250 to purchase the first 98 husqvarna bike. I sold a 72 bike that was a better ride than the new 98.
  18. cruisetopdown Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1982 and 1983 Husqvarna 250 XC's
    I've been hiding under a rock........ that is a cool tribute to "the pioneers of motocross"! On another note, I've done just about everything he did in that vid, just not on purpose and with a bit more pain!
    LOL!!
    w
  19. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good vid. Just a shame the book Husqvarna Success was so biased towards the American market and doesn't give any recognition to us in the UK. Edison Dye did a great job in getting Huskies established in the US, but here in the UK a lot of the development work in the late 60's and early 70's that was fed back to the factory by British riders riding for the UK importer Brian Leask isn't even mentioned. Shame. My old man helped the factory develop the 360....

Anyway going off topic. I'm pleased Husky has recognised its roots.
    Motosportz likes this.
  20. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    But it is still "badge engineering" is it not ?
    justintendo likes this.