Anyone switch from KTM690?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Dalmatino, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Dalmatino Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    sv1000
    It's come down to two bikes, the Terra and KTM690. The more research I do, harder the decision gets. One day I'm set on one and next on the other..aaarrgh

Anyway, anyone here have a 690 or has switched that can give me some honest facts, pros and cons?

Huge weight difference and quality adjustable suspension is what i cant let go but for a leasure off road rider that will probably only see single track stuff once a blue moon (from necessity), is this, big weight diference really going to play such a big role? I just dont have the dualsporting experience to figure this one out by myself and hate the thaught of shopping again in a year and taking another beating.
  2. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I think comparing the 690 and the Terra is a mistake. 2 totally different machines. They might look somewhat similar on paper but if you actually ride them you will see that it's like comparing apples and oranges. It's not fair to the Terra to put it up against the 690. Have you ridden either one?
    If not, I am sure test rides will solve the mystery for you.
    Huskyfly and Tinken like this.
  3. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    This is the operative bit: "off road rider". If you are aiming to ride off pavement a lot the Terra is probably not for you. There is a huge variation in roads and road conditions between paved and single track! If you focus is on rough roads, jeep trails, etc., get the KTM, or find a good TE630. But, if you want to GO somewhere with your gear, cover a long distance, and poke around on fire roads and gravel routes, the Terra will be the ticket.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Maybe let us know what bikes you have owned or ridden? Other than the sv1000 listed in your profile I'm not sure what you like.
  5. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    There are many options/reviews/comparisons out there. One that comes to mind is:
    Husqvarna TR650 & KTM 690 Enduro Comparison

But comparing the two I feel is like comparing apples to oranges. Two totally different machines. One line from the review that does stand out is,
    I guess you really should have a few bikes on hand.:D A nice nimble light weight 2T that you can flick around the tight ST trails and a VERY COMFORTABLE
    big bore single for a commuter.:thumbsup:
    Bottom line, like Woodschick has suggested, try and ride both if possible, before you put your hard earned cash on someone elses' opinion.
  6. Dalmatino Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    sv1000
    Lots of street bikes and race bikes. Always had ADV touring bikes along side sport/race bikes for distance riding. Starting with XV920 rh's in the 80's than TDM850's in the 90's and than Vstrom's in 00's but I never really did anything than an occasional dirt road, beside tarmac.

Around 2000 after riding with some dualsport guys down in the Smokies I got the itch to explore this dualsporting stuff. By chance I stumbled on a used DR800 (DR Big import) and thinking this is the ticket, bought it, to quickly realize I was probably better of with the TDM850 (that I had at the time).I sold the 800 just as quick and bought a brand new 2001 DR650 as it seemd to be the favorite with most of the Southern group at the time (and it still is with most of them).
    Being the road racer type I quickly shifted my focuss on the Super Moto side of it, tricked out the bike in that direction using it to beat up on sportbikes in real tight twisties :D.

Didnt realy do much off-roading in the few years I had it. maybe several hundred kilomiter all total mostely fire and loging roads, nothing to dificult or extreme.

The next year I added a Vstrom to the stable and sold the TDM's. I'm on my 4th Vstrom 1k now that I have alongside my SV1000 (3rd one). I bought this one last year doing major mods to the bike thinking I would use this as an all arounder for long Adv trips and daily use and was going to sell the SV. After doing a 6000klm trip this past Summer all down through the South Western US and doing a few dirt stretches I realized that I realy dont like big bikes any more nor do I need them for long trips. Decision was made to keep the SV for the street and posibly an ocasional track day and buy a real dualspot for all else including daily use. Now the Vstrom is de-farkeld and will be sold or traded in in the spring. I didnt put it im profile because I consider it gone.

The diference between now and than is that I want to actualy do more off-road stuff but I still want the Super Motard aspect of it. Off road stuff for me = to Adventure trips, like Baja, Alaska and just exploring the back cauntry (where ever), so I need an adventure touring setup.

Sorry for the loooong writeup... cheers :cheers:

Vstrom all farkeld up..lots of trick stuff if you look close
    [IMG]

Sv before the Vstrom
    [IMG]

Sv now, shedding skin...going old school (or as they call them now "street fighters")
    [IMG]
  7. Dalmatino Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    sv1000
    Thanks HuskyDude and Kenneth....

I've had a garage full of bikes for years (over a dozen at one time) till about 6 years ago when I moved from Ontario to Alberta (SK now). I've stayed with 1 or 2 bikes since and honestly have no desire to have any more than 2 again (toooo much work and expence). If I was to add a 3rd one it would be screeming I4 full blown sportbike. Now, where I live these are about as usefull as tits on a Bull so thats probably not going to happen. If I do get the "must erge" to do some trck time I'll throw the SV in the Van and head off to Gimli or one of the tracks in the US. It will do.
    As far as serious off roading, I'm not sure that It will ever be my thing, but once I start with a more suitable bike you never know. For now I just need somthing that will do well on a 2-3 week basic adventure trip like Baja and will make my trip easier and safer for an inexpreianced rider.

Thanks
    V
  8. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Dalmatino, seems I'm similar type of rider as you are. I need this bike for commuting, some gravel roads, occassional longer distance travel and single track only if necessary. I'm not a motocross-type rider. I needed adequate power, especially for comfy city/hwy riding. I've just sold my well-farkled BMW F800GS as too heavy and not suitable for this kind of riding.

I was considering three bikes:
    - KTM 690 Enduro;
    - Husky TR650 Terra;
    - Yamaha XT660R.

I decided Terra would be best suited to what I need it for. KTM is too dirt biased and not comfy enough. Yamaha is a bit underpowered and too soft at suspension. Terra looks spot on, not too complicated, easy to maintain (no CANBUS is a relief), good motor. I'm planning to add some protection, maybe change of exhaust (single can) if appropriate solution appears. And I'm done.

If not Terra, I would rather opt for Yamaha, with change of suspension (springs), exhaust (single can and sided manifolds) and maybe some performance tune-ups (big bore kit ?). Its also very reliable.

Idf I ever think of single-track/sand/mud, I'd get some lighter machine.
  9. Dalmatino Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    sv1000
    Mario33 I think you're on the right track..Having said that, based on all the feedback I think the KTM690 with a better seat will do just as well on road but what scares me is the reliability and the problems seem to be all in electrical and FI and is just real finiky. For This day and age there's just no excuse for that especialy since it's been in production for 5 yr now..Altho having a few smaller glitches so far, Im starting to feel that the Terra with few extra $$ in mods will be the right choice.

Yamaha?? Unfortunately we dont get that here otherwise I'd be looking at that real hard.
  10. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    PaulC and Anthill Toenail like this.