1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Anyone put a Smart carb on their bike?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by stormer254, May 9, 2017.

1. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
  2. Palito Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300, 1986 430AE Auto
    Other Motorcycles:
    1989 DR600
    I've been using the Smart Carb since 2013 exclusively on all my bikes. When I was rebuilding my 1986 430 Auto I got my first Smart Carb, I was looking for clean running carb that comes down to a nice idle immediately which is very important on the Auto. For the first two years I was swapping it back and forth with my 2009 WR300 without changing any settings, that really impressed me the most. All the claims on their web site are true. I haven't adjusted anything after the initial setup.
    The best thing it does is make the power more linear because it has only one circuit, no overlapping circuits of a conventional carb. The next best feature is that there is no popping or surging upon deceleration. Even after a long downhill with the throttle closed the whole way, even for several minutes. When you get back on the power it is right there ready and clean.

I would never go back to a regular carb EVER.

Disclaimer: on the website there is a tuning guide and starting procedure compiled by a third party that is a regular on KTMtalk, it is important to thoroughly understand and follow it, you have to forget everything you have ever learned about jetting a conventional carb. Once you do that, starting is first or second kick hot or cold, and flawless running.

They are expensive, but worth every penny. On my WR300 where at some races I used to have to refuel to get 2-1/2 hours on the stock 10 litre tank(specs say 9.5 litres but holds 10). At most hare scrambles races my class usually runs about 2 hours and 15 minutes and with the Smart Carb after the race I routinely have 4+ litres left. I have been recording my fuel economy for 10 years now on a spreadsheet with data from over 60 races. First with the stock Mikuni then a Keihin PWK and finally the Smart Carb. All races since 2010 on the same bike, so the data is very comparable. I compared consumption as litres/hour. An average season running the PWK I averaged 3.46 L/h. A season running the Smart Carb I averaged 2.88 L/h. That relates to about 20% improved fuel consumption. If interested I could send you the spreadsheet. I no longer have to worry about fuel stops or the dreaded oversized tank. I have even extrapolated out that at some races I could have gone 3:45hrs before running out of fuel at race pace. And all this great fuel savings with increased performance to boot.

I'm not trying to sell you on the Smart Carb, I am in no way linked with the company. I paid full price for the three carb I now have. I am just very impressed with everything it has to offer, I see it as a competitive advantage. It gives me a very response bike without having to refuel.

Do your our research if you are considering it, lots of info on other brand specific forums and TT as well.

Braaaaap,

Paul.
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    so what is the advantage of the smart carb over a lectron? the benefits you describe are similar to what ive noticed
  4. Palito Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1989 DR600
    They were developed by the same inventor: Red Edmonston. The Lectron is from the early 70's and the rights were sold off long ago, and they haven't changed much. A power jet circuit was later added and that is where that carb is today.

[IMG]
    Corey Dyess worked under Red Edmonston to develop the Smart Carb.
    The main differences is that the Smart Carb has no external venting and therefore no need for a power jet circuit because the float bowl is pressurized forcing more fuel up the rod as air velocity and engine speed increase.

Attached Files:

justintendo and 2premo like this.
  5. Palito Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1989 DR600
    The biggest benefit is: it is self compensating to changes in temperature, altitude and other changes in air density. This is accomplished by the fact that the current air conditions are what is pressurizing the float bowl. Also no fuel is ever lost through vent tubes, it's a sealed system, another reason for better fuel economy.
    Chayzed Pilot likes this.
  6. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

good explanation, thanks
  7. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    ive got a smart meter on my power box, a smart ph that's the dumbest thing ive ever owned... must get a smart carb:cool: they actually sound like they work
    juicypips and ajcmbrown like this.
  8. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Can't fault my lectron.
    Seams like this guy knew what he was doing.
    Has anyone back to back comparison between lectron and smart carb.
  9. Palito Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1989 DR600
    Just remembered, the only adjustment that may be needed other than idle is raising or lower the metering rod which can be done on the Smart Carb externally with the carb on the bike in about 30 seconds. The Lectron I think you have to pull out the slide.With the Smart Carb this only needs to be adjusted on initial setup, then forget about any more adjustments. Even engine mods don't affect the initial settings. The Smart Carb focuses on get the fuel-air ratio right and that's it, if the engine wants a bigger charge of this mixture that's fine, the ratio is still maintained.

The Lectron is also a very good carb, that is definitely a step up from a conventional carb.

I think on the Technology Elevated (Smart Carb) facebook page there is a link to an independent dyno test showing a fuel to air ratio graph along side of the power curve. It compares several carbs including the Smart Carb and the Lectron.
    juicypips and 2premo like this.
  10. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    thanks for the explanations!
    my main gripe with the lectron is the "slide feel"...the lightweight slide is also not super smooth...wish they had a nice chrome plated brass unit for that smooth feel!
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    At $450? I think I'll pass. I'm hard of hearing so I just purchased a hand held tach so I can adjust the balance screw better on the standard mikuni carbs. Once the pilot jet and the balance screw is inbetween 3/4 to 1 1/2 turns out your low end is set. Make sure your float level is set and your needle and seat is sealing off the gas flow. The law of averages I'm seeing is to just replace the needle and seat and forget about it. Put the needle clip in the middle position. Now adjust your main jet. Till it's blubbery then back off till it's running clean. Adjust your needle next. Then check your balance screw. You can smoothout the bottom transfer with the balance screw just to tweek it. Remember getting it jetted correctly the first 90% is easy that last 10% is tougher but you will learn it. Don't forget to install the UFO.
  12. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    I may just have to invest in one of these Smart carbs. Sounds like it makes things very simple. I like more simple. LOL.
  13. husqyhamm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Quite a few 83-86 500 2Ts and 4Ts
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 R80 GS Dakar; Victory 106.
    @Palito, thanx for the info.
    Hmmm now that could work with a pressurised intake.
    Thinking singleshock 500, piped and with helluva ramair scoop...now that should turn out real fast
    rancher1 likes this.
  14. Palito Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1989 DR600
    $ounds $imple enough, I guess I paid $450 to have all that looked after. Now I'm out riding instead of fiddling with a bunch of brass and voodoo guess work on initial setup then every time conditions change. Like the old Fram filter commercial says: "pay me now or pay me later".
    I just what to ride.

Paul.
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  15. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I been wanting to try a pressurized air box. Get a throttle cable that has the oil injector cable and connect it to a reastat bad spelling sorry. Small mili amp muffin fan?

I enjoy fiddling with the carb.
  16. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    do you just copy and paste your responses from one thing to another now? we dont need jetting lessons. please stop spamming us about the damn ufo insert. we have heard about it 20 times.
    we are trying to discuss smart carbs in this thread..
    454x likes this.
  17. husqyhamm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  18. husqyhamm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    This past Sunday, sorting the vm40 amongst other tweaks.
    Still like the simplistic smartcarb idea...
    2premo likes this.
  19. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

easier is nice :D
  20. DaveM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 570
    Other Motorcycles:
    Motorised Bicycle
    I like what Bill has to say, he obviously has had a lot of experience and is worth listening to.
    :)