anyone in WNC?

Discussion in 'East - USA' started by NCSteve, Mar 7, 2015.

1. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Or who would like to be? Can host seemingly endless riding in the Pisgah NF NW of Asheville. IMG00041-20140526-1922-e.jpg
  2. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

would like to be... from the other end of both states originally... Fayetnam NC, Brother in Raleigh , Mother in Newbern , and grew up outside of Cola SC.... glad to know there is still riding there...
  3. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    haha...hey Kevin. Funny, I went to grade school in Mtn Home and then in and out of Boise for several years. My Dad was the track Mgr at Owyhee and was in biz with the Pres at the time. I started racing when I was 10 on the 8th mile flat track, raced TT on a 125, then mx on 250s.
    I was in Boise for a week a couple years ago and it sure has changed, couldn't even find where I used to rent an Airstream down by the river in Garden City.

As far as riding, I've hit the jackpot here. My private road has access to Pisgah NF. I know I could get to Tn from here and probably to Ga with maps/GPS. Don't know about down state, but here in this area there are no restrictions enforced.
    There are many gates that lead to endless logging roads, grass tracks and rough trails. The only time I see a Ranger is in the Fall during Deer and Bear season and they don't seem to care about me.

If you wanna' ride next time you visit Mom, let me know.

Are you loosing trails in Id? We used to go up to Hell's Canyon and ride forever and up into the wilderness area too. There were quite a few areas near the track that were open, but I noticed a lot of development there now.

cheers :cheers:
  4. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks for the offer , back at you when you make it back to Boise :)
  5. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

We still have plenty of places to at the moment but like you said it is growing... we still have the desert and the woods.... but the fear around here is Obama making the White Clouds a monument
  6. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Enjoy it while you can. I'll def be back out there again and will let you know. Been a long time since I rode in the dez.

:thumbsup:
  7. Willlyons Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 Yamaha TY350, 06 Montessa 4RT
    Where do you live, NCSteve? I lived in Brevard and Asheville for a long time. I know there's some riding further west near Franklin/GA border areas but are you up near Boone or something? I live in KY now, but am always looking for more places to ride in NC. Always seemed pretty sparse to me.
  8. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Hi, I'm out past Marshall toward Hot Springs. I've got access to Pisgah NF, I just did 6 hrs in the woods this weekend and didn't see another soul.
    I'm not road worthy yet, but by summer I plan to be hitting some riding areas, probably race some HS. Wouldn't mind checking out Ky if there's some good riding or racing. Also thinking to go to NY in the fall to ride with the NE crew and then go see Mom in NH and find a track or trails up there.
    If you want to ride around here, let me know.
    I'm planning to build a WB165 next winter, love to ride yours :thumbsup:
  9. Buxbait Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I'm close to Newport, TN and just got my first husky. I'm looking for some good spots to ride in the national forest. We're riding to Hot springs tomorrow just pavement mostly since the wife is going. Anyways depending on my schedule I'd be willing to try some new spots.
  10. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Hey there, nice bike! Lots of nice back road riding in our area in general. I keep thinking I should get a dual sport bike too.
  11. Buxbait Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Took a long time to decide been riding beater mx bikes for years and I'm already happier with this dual sport can't wait to hit the fire roads with it I love those wr's like you've got also
  12. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Got a brother in Raleigh /Willowsprings...he keeps saying there is no where to ride!? Is this true?
  13. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Hey Kevin, yeah probably true @ Raleigh. No open riding on public land anyway. There's quite a few tracks and riding parks though, just gotta' pay to play. I'm spoiled where I am :banana: at the end of 3 miles of private rd, which is at the end of a rural state rd, which turns into Forestry Service rd and Pisgah National Forest. I just ride out from my place, take it easy (mostly) until I get a couple miles into the forest and then go for it. Hardly see another soul except during hunting seasons.
  14. NC Rick Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Dr 650, KLX, Ducati track bikes
    NC Steve, I would love the opportunity of riding with you! I'm not sure if my skills are up to any real standard on the real dirt stuff but I am excited about working on them again. I know most of the paved and gravel roads in your area but none of the actual woods stuff. I have been out Hurricane Creek many times over the years but as fun as that is, it really isn't a challenge even on my DR 650 with 50/50 tires.

I live out in Fairveiw, she of Asheville.
  15. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Hi Rick, sounds good. I'm still riding solo which is fine for training, but not as much fun for exploring.
    I'm actually gone for the rest of the summer working. I'll be back in early Oct and going crazy from not riding by then.
    I'm also planning to go down state to a couple of riding parks to practice riding with others and then start hitting some local races. Let's keep in touch and ride when I get back.
    I'm in the Big Pine area which is a great DS ride. If you go all the way up Big Pine Rd, cross the creek, keep on straight, you'll go across Troublesome Gap into Spring Creek on Baltimore Branch. Turn right to go to Hot Springs.

enjoy!
  16. NC Rick Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Dr 650, KLX, Ducati track bikes
    Steve, that will be great! Yea, it is a little warm out these days anyway. I have ridden that ride around big pine, beautiful out there. I tried to cut up a dirt path near there several years back and ran into the land owner digging rocks, he was super nice and told me to ride there any time. Never did because of time and not really wanting to be on someone else's property. It seemed really rough anyhow.