Anti-Theft Devises

Discussion in 'TR650' started by kjackbrown, Apr 2, 2013.

1. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    I was very bummed to see that the TR does not have a helmet lock. I was wondering if any of you have figured out a way to secure your helmets to the bike.
  2. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    I live in the south. People have guns and stuff. Nobody has ever stolen a helmet off my bike nor anything out of my sidecar. (Knocks on wood) :D
    HuskyDude and HARDER1 like this.
  3. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Yeah but here in Cali anything that is not nailed down is likely to walk off at some point! I own a Jeep Wrangler and at least once a year some azz-hat will get in it and find something to take (usually my work badge). Last time they left a really nice flashlight behind.

Anyways, having to carry my helmet with me everywhere I stop is kind of a pain....but there is no way I will leave a $400 helmet just sitting on the mirrors!
  4. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 BMW r75, 1974 BMW R90, Bultaco
    Man, that's crazy. I guess I've gotten used to being in the south as well. I leave my helmets on the bars all the time.
    There are some aftermarket options that bolt up to the license plate bracket so you can lock 2 helmets....though you may not want more weight on that boat anchor. Another option might be to find something to attach the helmet clasp on, under the seat then lock the seat back down. There has to be something...if not make something :D
  5. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    I just as soon carry my helmet in with me at work, but on what blaine was saying, I'd go to a hardware store, buy a foot length of 1/8 inch cable and a couple crimps. Make a loop in each end to slip over the seat lock, with the helmet in the loop. Should be able to find some vinyl coated cable as well to prevent scratches.
  6. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    I use one of those short cable type gun locks. I set the helmut on the mirror. The cable goes around the handle bars and then through the chin bar on the helmet.
  7. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    I thought a reason why they didn't install a helmet lock was due to the design of the exhaust system having mufflers on both sides. I sit the helmet on my seat, padlocked to the handle of my luggage bag where it can't rub up against the hot exhaust.
  8. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
  9. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Helmet theft is a crime of convenience. Someone walks past, sees the helmet left out in the open, picks it up and keeps walking.
    When I leave my helmet unattended on my bike for more than a few minutes, I fasten the chinstrap onto the handlebar. It might not work as security for a helmet that has a clip on the strap, but as you'll find out if you try it, fiddling around trying to undo the strap through the D-ring fasteners is so bloody difficult that no would-be-thief is going to bother standing there trying to unstrap it from the bar. They'll give it a yank, it won't budge, and in all likelyhood they'll just keep walking.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    jmcg likes this.
  11. BigJim Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley Nightster
    I carry a small padlock on my Harley. When I stop, I snap the lock through a hole on the front rotor and grab the helmet buckle in the lock shackle. If any one wants the helmet they can cut the strap, but the helmet is no good then, and the lock keeps them from rolling my bike home. Having the helmet through the lock keeps my dumb ass from trying to ride off with the lock in the front rotor. Its a win win win! Security, Helmet Holder, and Reminder all in one 4 ounce hardened steel package. Haven't tried that trick on the Terra yet, but it should work. Of course Mr 1911 works well too...:naughty:
  12. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I use a small padlock attached to a wire too. But I once had a lock that clamped onto a round tube on the frame. It had a claw that fit through the buckle on the helmet and I could also lock a bag on through the handles. Wish I could find a new one.
  13. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    I am thinking about anti theft stuff and wanted to see what you all use. I found this cool locking system called Roadlok and emailed them about making a tr specific device. Anyone else here using locks and/or alarms of any kind?
  14. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 BMW r75, 1974 BMW R90, Bultaco
  15. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    .45 Hollow Point. And a thick braided ruber coated cable in my pack and lock.. I try and go through the frame and keep the cable off the ground for less leverage if they try and cut it.
  16. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I like the Xena Disc lock one because it also has a 110 dB audio alarm too.:thinking:
    juicypips likes this.
  17. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
  18. Terra Tom Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX250S - sold
  19. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Had a YZF 600 (Sportbike) many years ago. It had a disk lock and a braided cable that went around a big tree. The thief cut the cable, but must have missed the disc lock. Found it the next morning a few feet from where I parked it over on its side. I proceeded to sink 160lbs of concrete in the ground with a loop of steel coming out of the top. Then I chained the bike to the concrete block every night. I was recently in the town where I did this, the loop is still in the yard of that rental house--Took a picture to commemorate the "good ole days".

Just thought of this from reading the "Key Cost" thread--Aren't our bikes chipped? Would it still be possible to hotwire a chipped bike without a key?
    HuskyDude likes this.
  20. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Yeah,liked his suggestion about taking clutch lever with you. Or how he was amazed how many people leave a spare key ,title ppwk (guilty)in a trunk or how many people dont lock the steering. Its definately an enlightening read