1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Another WRX saved from the scrap heap!

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Eric The Leg, Aug 9, 2015.

1. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    I use both, together
  2. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400, 1985 WRX400, 1979 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Fine, I'll goop up the stink end of my expansion chamber.

On a side note, the "Stainless Works Blue Exhaust Grommets" model "EXGRO" fit pretty well as mounts for the expansion chamber.
    They are SAE, so I have to eat some of my earlier criticism of putting SAE components on a metric bike, but I've got the exhaust grommet attached to the mount tab/hole on the expansion chamber, then a bushing (ID 1/4, OD, 3/8, 7/8" long) on the inside of the exhaust grommet ('through hole' is 3/8"), and M6 socket cap bolt through the bushing with a fender washer on the exposed side. It's a nice snug fit (and i didn't even have to goop it up with silicone sealant). I'll have to get some time on trails to see how it wears. The last black rubber mounts I picked up from a bonafide Husqvarna part suppliers didn't hold tight very long, so the bar is not that high in my book.
    oldbikedude likes this.
  3. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Lookee what the FedEx guy brought... 0826161905.jpg

I sent it to HusqvarnaOutlet 6 months, 12 days ago, and the guy who sends out the invoices charged me about 30% more than the guy who did the repair quoted me (after the repair was completed, which he had said was done on April 1), but at least now I've got it. Never mind the fact that I was otherwise on pace to have the bike together by Memorial Day, and now it's just about Labor Day.

If by some twist of fate Husqvarnaoutlet ever becomes the primary source of Husky parts, I may have to take up Vespas.

Now to eke out some garage time and see if I can get the thing to fit!
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    so what all did he do to it?
  5. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Based on what they advertise on their site it is "restored to like new condition".

The pipe is the one from my WR that I've had forever. I used to ride it in an area with tall grass and beavers, so after hitting a few of those pointy tree stumps, the header was trashed. It had been "fixed" a few times over the years, but that wasn't holding up any more, so he cut off the header and welded one on from a donor pipe.
    And painted it (actually the paint does appear to be well done).
    Doesn't look like he plugged and popped it, the pipe itself didn't have that many dents (other than the header) to begin with, and still has one or two (visible in the picture).
    I asked him to put new packing under the leg guard, but I am not sure that he did (though I haven't checked).
    justintendo likes this.
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    well, at least the pipe is back in your hands and not lost...bad feeling though not getting good service or your moneys worth. i wouldnt be happy sending a pipe out for total repair and still having dents like that
  7. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    I'll get over it, even after they raised the price post-repair (20%, now that I check my notes), in the long run, I didn't pay a ton for the repair. I am concerned that when I held it up to the WRX, it wasn't a clean fit. I'll have to pull the other pipe off of my WR and compare the two, as well as how the coolant hoses lay to see what's going on.

If it does need to be cut and re-welded to fit, can that be done with my MIG, or does it need to be TIG welded?
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    shouldnt have a problem using mig..at least i have with no issues. tig is always nice as it doesnt overheat.
    Eric The Leg likes this.
  9. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Yeah, nice, but I don't have TIG...
    Anything you drop in the tube to use as a heat sink, i.e. fill it with sand or anything?
  10. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    no tig for me either! likely never will..
    i use my little 110v for thin stuff like this..set up for gas of course. if you are concerned with too much heat buildup you can always "trigger" the weld, using a series of overlapping spot welds. im pretty familiar with my lil 110 unit, so i would tack it up a bunch of places and weld it in 1 inch welds to keep it cool.
    i would be nervous about filling with sand, and getting it all back out!
    Eric The Leg and oldbikedude like this.
  11. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Good news everyone!

I no longer need to debate welding the pipe. After pulling the one I had on my WR off (the bike that specific pipe came off of anyway, they are supposed to be interchangeable), the pipes look fairly identical. The one that came back from H.O. does fit the WR fine.

As you'll remember from the start of this whole thing, I had to replace about half of the coolant hoses on the WRX, so I probably just need to tweak a few of them to get a pipe on the WRX.

The leg guard needs repacked though. I suppose that's probably something I go to my local bike shop for. Maybe next week....
  12. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    6 months J. C. what the hell did they even do, that's like a days job not even... That's B.S. that these company's can do this kinda crap to their customers . Really sad now days , did they even call you once and let you know what was going on ?
  13. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    We did have a few phone conversations. Generally I was calling them though.
    The guy who was doing the work, and the guy who does the billing are different people. The one doing the work was generally apologetic and cordial, and described having a lot going on in life that was impacting his ability to follow-through on the Husky side business (Like Huskydoggg, this is a side gig for him). If what he shared is true, he's going through a lot, and I am OK cutting someone some slack when life comes along and slaps them in the face.

Things happen, and when they do, a well run business takes care of their customers. I don't expect free stuff because things got a little backed up for them, but the fact that prices on everything went up between when they were quoted (verbally over the phone of course), dropped the ball for a while and then finally invoiced me is a bit infuriating. The guy who does the billing at H.O. gets an "F" in my book.
  14. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    wonder if the person running things even knows this? either way, glad you have it back, and its quite serviceable. its tough when we have to learn things the hard way.
  15. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    Agreed , at least its back and it fits. Don't ever feel bad for wanting your property back from someones shop or place of business. Yes you may owe them a little to get it and go some where else but I don't care, that's what happens when you say your going to do something for a customer and then don't follow through... The same goes for friends , if you say your gonna do something well then by god your ass better be there and doing it and with out 5 phone calls telling them your on your way... Rant over now back to your build. Whats next ?
    Eric The Leg likes this.
  16. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Next?
    1) Put shit together.
    2) Visit my local DMV for trail stickers.
    3) Call up my buddy Jorge and tell him to come over and bring his helmet.
    4) Feel like a bad-ass heading down I-5 with two functional vintage Husqvarna 400's in the back of my truck, even though the chance of anyone noticing and/or caring is remote.
    5) Dig trenches.

After the first ride sort out details like headlight, taillight, number plate decals, whatever I broke on the first ride, etc.
  17. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Yep.....know that feeling...& you are right, few care. Digging trenches is fun.
    Eric The Leg likes this.
  18. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    when I go anywhere with the twin shocker in the ute its like a magnet for bike people. ive had so many traffic light conversations with keen bike riders all loving the old twin shock and all "wanting to do one up" --yeah right.
    Eric The Leg likes this.
  19. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Usually one in 5 knows what they're looking at, the rest just know it's not a Kawasaki or Honda and think that's cool. Hipsters like European and/or old bikes, so some of them can sort-of tell, but not really in most cases. Occasionally one knows more than you realize until you look something up later. One time a guy looked at my bike and made a reference to Husaburg, at the time, I wasn't sure what he was talking about, after googling Husaburg, I realize we probably could have had an interesting conversation.

I've had the guys in crotch rockets give me biker waves, not sure how far down the spectrum I'd consider them to be.

So yeah, it gets some attention. But it's really unlikely that someone would flip a nut the way I would if I saw two old huskies in the back of a truck going down the highway.
  20. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    youd be surprised how much one of those guys on a kawasaki "crotch rocket" might know about your bike..hopefully id be a little higher in your spectrum tho, i could have told you about husaberg...:eek:
    Eric The Leg likes this.