Another happy Lectron customer...

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Motosportz, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Kelly,

I finalized the settings on my new 38mm Lectron by riding a small loop in my neighborhood last week. I ended up settling at 1/4 turn richer on the rod from as shipped. On the power jet, as shipped was 1.5 turns out which bogged rich on top, so I ended up .5 turn out with good power. My bike is a 2004 300 EXC and the only mods are a Gnarly pipe, V-Force 4 reeds, and squish cut down to .045" on the head.

I rode 60 miles today in the Francis Marion National Forest and didn't even hit reserve! I looked down in the tank to see how close the fuel level was to the top of the petcock feed tube and I still had an inch or two yet to go before needing reserve! WOW! My old 36 PWK was jetted with a 38pj, N2ZJ #2 clip, and a 162 main. That carb had me typically hitting reserve at about 40 miles of these same trails. That old carb never dripped fuel out the overflow unless it was leaned past a 45 degree angle, so I know I wasn't losing fuel out the overflow when riding. The fuel economy gain with this new Lectron is phenomenal compared to what I was accustomed to.

One trait of my old PWK that I never could get jetted out was the burbling/4stroking in 4th and 5th gears when steady speed cruising down connecting roads. This was mainly at 1/8 throttle or less, so I really didn't notice it when thrashing about on the trails. With the new Lectron, the same 4th and 5th gear connecting road cruise is absolutely smooth! Throttle response is crisp and overall drivability is more linear. The 3-2m rod by design gives a little snap down low, which is great for when you are running through some turns which may be too fast for 2nd gear but almost too slow for 3rd. Just keep it in 3rd and you can still leave the turn with authority without having to get up on the pipe to do so.

I did have to change my dolly setting, though. My best power delivery with the Lectron was with the dolly 2.5 turns in from flush. Kinda weird since my old PWK jetting absolutely loved a flush dolly, which enabled it to have a big kick from down low (twice the hit of the 3-2m rod) which if not expected, could be a handful in slick, technical conditions. Power delivery with the Lectron is more linear after the initial down low mild snap, and then further climbing revs just predictably get the pipe happy and it pulls like no tomorrow on the top end.

Thanks for all your research on these Lectron carbs. I am definitely one happy camper after today's shakedown ride! Hopefully I can convince an old riding buddy to get one from you for his 300!
  2. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    WTH is a dolly:confused:
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I think he means the power valve adjuster.
  4. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    think you mite be rite
  5. Sph123 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 Husqvarna TE250
    Do all the newer 300's need this upgrade in carbs or is it just the older ones?
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    None of them "need" the carb but many find it works far better, gets great MPG and is smoother running / more responsive. Have many repeat customers and most seem to love these carbs as do I. They are much more tolerant to elevation and temperature changes and most find them set and forget. More info on my site here...

http://www.motosportz.com/lectron.html
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Got another one this morning, this has becoming the usual...

Hi Kelly,

Many thanks again for the best carb I have ever used.

I did forget to mention when I received the carb & cable, that the genuine Gunner Gasser throttles are M8x1.00, the one you supplied was M8x1.25
    I have modified my throttle housing (read - bodged) by running a tap through it. Works fine.
    This note was just for your future reference.

I will be ordering another one for the 390 Auto when it nears completion.

Best regards,

Ian
    LandofMotards likes this.
  8. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I do about 2-4 duel sport rides per year on my wr300. Today was the first time on the lectron. Did 69.6 miles. Have an ims gas tank(the 3.4) filled to the brim at start. At the end of the ride I was a 2 gallons. I still cant believe it. So 1.4 gallons got me 70 miles. crazy
    LandofMotards and Motosportz like this.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thanks for the input and feedback. Usefull.

Walt says his 177 is getting crazy good milage with the Lectron. All my bikes do way better. Jake says his pistons in his 125's are lasting longer (theorizes it is the clean burning and lack of carbon build up). My 4 stroke YZ450F is getting 6-8 MPG better and makes more power everywhere. Had slightly bigger bottom end hit but now has one big smooth powerband with more mid and top than before. Love how once you set them up you pretty much don't ever have to fart with them again. Crazy simple device that is well sorted and just flat works. Good stuff.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have not updated this in a while but get a lot of these types of Emails. this guy bought 4 carbs from me!!!

We just got back from testing. These are amazing! Now I know what the word linear means. I love chugging up a rocky hill, then whacking the throttle and have the power come on soooooo smooth. I love the feeling of zero transition. My 250 ran great, it was like getting a new pipe, only better. It runs a tad lean at idle but perfect everywhere else. I have not adjusted it from how it was sent. Adam wanted to know if you can tune the rods an 1/8 of a turn, or if it must be 1/4 turns only????
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I sold 4 Lectrons to one customer and they had never seen them just read about it. Was kinda freaky and hoped they liked them as that was a big bill. Well they freaking love them...

Hi Kelly,
    I figured I would start a new message for this, other one was getting too long. We got to get in a decent ride in the dez before the rain came. Adam has been riding his 380 exclusively and has done a few rod changes. He did two rides with it at 2.020 and it was too rich all around. Plug was dark black, bike felt a little fat, spooge spray out the exhaust. Leaned it out to 2.026 and it was amazing, did two rides with this setup. One was cool and 3200ft, second was warm and 2000ft. The plug after both rides was medium brown. It does have a lean spot at idle and 1/8 above idle, not imagined like mine, you could feel it. We will try a 3-3xl (kevin is sending one) to see if it clears up that one tiny little bad spot, otherwise it is perfect.
    I rode my 360 the last few days and got it running better then any dirt bike I have ever ridden! This thing used to run very choppy and sporadic, you could feel every single little thing going on in the circuit carb, and it would even stall on stupid steep DH's, very annoying. I would never actually ride it in first gear it was so bad. With the Lectron, I love riding it in first gear now, where the terrain mandates. Much funner then bogging it up in second and hoping for the best. It purrs like a kitten all day long but still has the power of a beast, a very linear, electric motor-like beast. I can't wipe the huge smile off my face, why don't all 2-strokes run these carbs???? My set-up ended being 2.026 with NO leans spot on the bottom, plug was perfect, award winning. This was the single best mod I have ever done to this bike.
    I will try a 3-2 rod on my 250 to see if that will get rid of the annoying off-idle sound, I am also going to try a thinner oil in my gearbox. The 520 is in the process of being put back together. Hope to have it running on a stand by early next week. Thanks so much for all your help and getting the word out on these carbs, best money we ever spent!
    justintendo likes this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    How about one for a built DR350.

the customer asked...

I was wondering if you could build a carburetor for my 1997 Suzuki DR350SE. It has a 440 big bore kit and the 33mm carb it has is too small. I've seen a couple guys with Lectrons on DR350's on Advrider. I was also looking at an FCR but there isn't enough clearance on the electric start models. I currently run a Mikuni TM33-8012. I can get a larger intake adapter and open up the intake on the head if necessary.

We sent him a carb based on his info and...

Kelly, I got the carburetor installed yesterday. It started up immediately on a 25F day!. I went on a short ride around the neighborhood and this thing rips! I'm not going to have any front tire wear with the way it wheelies. I'm glad we went with the 38mm size and it does not feel over-carbed. I did a little port matching and bolted it up to a slightly longer manifold. It was easier to install than the stock TM33 because there was actually more room on the top of the carburetor.
    All I can say is that this carburetor is awesome.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    justintendo likes this.
  13. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    and about half the size of that fcr
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    KTM380 exc customer...

Kelly,
    Just wanted to drop you a quick line about the Lectron. No airboot issues, just tweaked the idle a little, grunted around Moab in first gear a lot of the time for several days, no plug fouling issues like I had with the APT. Carb was PERFECT, I'm really happy with it and the motor, lots of torque and smooth, fast power through over-rev. Sucker flat out works as advertised and then some. Thanks again and good luck in your business endeavors, I'll be sharing my experience with every 2-st rider I come into contact with. Your product (and the 3-2 rod) are SUPERB.
    Thanks again,
    Rob
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I get these a lot and share ones that I feel like sharing...

Just wanted to let you all know that the Lectron has made a huge difference in my WXE 360 1995 Husqvarna. It went from being a everyday problem to a joy to ride and a beast. I was to the point of selling the bike until I added the lectron, Now I figure I will probably never sell it.
    Thanks for your help,
    Delighted in the Pine Barrens
    Jeff
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    BTW I guess I need to write one for myself. Installed a Lectron 2 days ago on my 1992 WR500 2 stroke big bore Yamaha, it absolutely transformed the bike. Idles better on long down hills, so much EZer throttle pull, smooth linear power, awesome response (which was highly lacking before) and 5 mpg better!!! Love it.
  17. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    Kelly,

i almost sold my 99 360 due to the carb, yours arrived machined to fit and pretty close on adjustment
    set the needle and WOW, plan to keep the bike, that was a HUGE improvement, starts easy, cleaner crisper power, very happy
    thanks, Greg
    Motosportz likes this.
  18. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    My buddy picked up a lectron for his 09 yz250F. Before with the stock carb it was a 10 kick bike hot or cold and when it would eventually start, it never seemed to run 100%. We cleaned it numerous times, tried changing the jetting going all over the place and it just never worked right. So I told him to order a lectron and we went out for an easy half day and got it tuned. Now it starts on the first or second kick EVERY time, even after dumping or stalling it. He said it has made a huuuuge difference in his confidence because now he isn't afraid to do dumb stuff like the rest of us because he doesn't have to worry about stalling the bike every 10' then kicking it for 5 minutes :busted:

He went down the Hatfield-McCoy trails Memorial day weekend and other than one issue* he said it was probably the best weekend on a dirt bike he has ever had.

*He said it would stall on long down hills, but it would re-fire in 1 kick. If he pulled the clutch in, it would just stall out while going down hill. If he let it engine brake, once he went to get back on the gas, it would still stall.
    Motosportz likes this.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Did the Idaho City ISDE this weekend. Its at 4200 feet and goes up to 8000. I usually ride at 50-2000. Did zero adjustments, bike ran like a scalded cat all weekend while others talked about sloppy jetting. Love it.
    street2dirt likes this.
  20. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01 WR360_02 WR250_12 WB165_17 FC350
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Kelly, Why would it stall like this?