Another EFI plastic elbow solution

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by mtne, Jan 6, 2010.

1. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE610 + 08'TE610 sumo'd
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    I decided to be preemptive in changing out the plastic elbows on the fuel pump. Just knowing my history the chances of breaking something is fairly high. Coupled with the absolute frustration with the stock connectors failing to close off when I've needed to take the tank off I wanted to get it done.

I went with the brass Omega Engineering Inc. products. If you order from them make sure that you get Viton O-rings designated by the suffix FKM on the item. This will double the price from standard and need to be made to order taking six weeks or so. If any one is hot to do this I had to get two sets as a minimum order..... I had already committed in my mind so I went ahead with it. And yes it cost too much....... $300, I probably should have canceled the order when the price doubled and the order minimum doubled too. So if anyone really wants a set up I've got one.......... $150.
    [IMG]

These specific items are FT-LCD230-06-FKM and FT-LCD100-06-FKM
    The female body with 3/8"NPT threads and the male connector with a 3/8" male barb. Viton O-rings all around. Flow is stopped in both directions when disconnected.

As shown in Nesbocaj's helpful thread I referenced to do this I used vice grips and a lever against wood to remove the stock plastic. One came out whole and the other broke.
    [IMG]

While your in there it's a good time to check for this common issue. You can see here that my holding ziptie was loose.
    [IMG]

As well I checked for the wires connected to the pump. My black one was loosish and I decided to make sure it was tight. Like kewekenievial found here

Rather than keep the plate mounted to the tank I held it in a vice.
    [IMG]

For the 3/8"NPT tap you also need a 37/64th bit.
    [IMG]

Kind of silly to do but it helps me visualize what I'm doing....
    [IMG]

As mentioned elsewhere, be sure to put something to block the filings in the fuel filter side.

A note about tapping something cast like this. I was nervous. I took it very slow, lots of backing out and cleaning. I was worried about how much meat would be left on the rise but feel good about sinking threads into the meat of the plate. Using Teflon tape, yellow rated for gas, was the catch. When just getting the male NPT part snugged up there was a little pop where the upper lip section seemed to let go. It was just a hairline crack but enough. I backed out the fitting, re-wrapped the threads with one less wrap and put it back in. Just for backup I used a touch of JB Weld on the hairline crack to make sure it wouldn't grow. Time will tell but I don't actually think it will be an issue. Just a word of caution to stop a touch earlier if you have any questions about it.

I used 5/16th fuel injection line. A bit of a tight fit over the 3/8" barb but it works. I took the stock fitting with the two straight connectors and cut them out, fitting them to the other end.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

All done and connected up. You can just see the splash of JB Weld.
    [IMG]

The rest of the pictures are in my SmugMug Gallery

Worth it? $150 is way steep for the four parts but the moneys is already spent and I'll never spill gas all over the shop trying to take the tank off again. I was originally thinking it would be half that..........

I guess time will tell.......
  2. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice work.
  3. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Yeah, just think of it as a nice job well done and move on. Don't let spent dollars impinge on your enjoyment.
  4. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    The money is easily worth knowing I wont break the stock plastic elbows on some silly tipover in a rock garden. And knowing I can, if need be, take the tank off and not have to spill, or drain the tank. Another plus is that I can now offload fuel if necessary with the spare stock elbow, I'll throw in the toolkit with the siphon hose.
  5. sidunvicious Husqvarna
    AA Class

advice?

Would these be another alternative? Russell qwik-release.[/ATTACH]

What corresponding AN number for the incoming fuel line?

(no, I've never replaced fuel lines before)

Thanks,
    Sid

Attached Files:

6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Nice.

I added the "Fuel Pump/Fitting" 'tag'.
  7. huskyte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09/te310
    Anyone try it on a te310.
  8. Pete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE300
    Is that teflon plumbing tape on your fittings? I dont think its petrol friendly?
  9. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

10. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    It was listed for petrol applications, haven't had a problem yet and will update if that changes.
  11. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

If it is actual Teflon tape and not some cheep plastic substitute, no fuel of any kind, will ever degrade it. Ken
  12. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Ken is correct. Only difference between the Yellow (gas proof) and regular white teflon tape is the yellow is thicker for bigger diameter pipe and course rough threads. It's thickness just means fewer wraps. Hard to work with on smaller cleaner threads. Later George
  13. sidunvicious Husqvarna
    AA Class

Intake manifold? fitting

Almost through with creative and needlessly complex fuel pump elbow replacement. Is the brass barb on (what I assume is intake manifold) a standard EFI fitting? Like GM uses...

Sid
  14. sidunvicious Husqvarna
    AA Class

Took the plunge, pulled brass barb and tapped with 1/8" NPT. Put in male -6AN 45 degree adaptor. That aluminum was pretty soft, hope will be ok. Don't want to ride a flamethrower. Plumbed line with Russell proclassic hase, covered with thermal wrap. If I had to do over, think I would put quick connect (I used Jiffytite) in-line rather than directly to the tank. It's pretty tight under there.
  15. crancky1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husky Sherco bits

I have heard that the fuel pipe / outlet part on the husky is the same as the sherco part, can be bought for as little as <$20,
    anybody confirm this ?
  16. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    If we're talking the same part, it's barbed and difficult to remove (said one report). Not sure if it's also difficult to insert.
  17. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    I have seen reports of it being the same part. You will need to search in TT forum also. I think that was were I saw it first. That said George at Up-tite has a real nice fix for this. I think it was around good price for the Double and less for the single line fuel pumps.