Another 'dead' Strada

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Mark_H, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    Ok guys, I have a friend here in Philippines who has a dead Strada.

Unfortunately he does not currently have access to a dealer or anyone with Rheingold or a GS 911 Tool to diagnose the fault.

The bike was ridden two weeks ago and has up to now had no problems whatsoever.
    Upon switching on 2 days ago he got the dreaded EWS warning up and the bike will not start.

Auxiliary LED lights etc are switched off.
    Battery is fully charged and reads 12.85 volts
    All fuses checked out and ok.
    Headlight opened up and Antenna Ring Connector checked as ok.
    Antenna ring tested and shows continuity.

On switch on the bike goes through the diagnostics check and then gives EWS with red warning light on.

What next ??
    NedH likes this.
  2. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    Unplug the battery...for sometime maybe an hour. Then do the reset procedure listed on forum. Worked for me when I pinched a wire between the bracket and post that hold the headlight in. Maybe that simple could only hope.
  3. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I don't think unplugging the battery will make any difference. The EWS isn't a 'remembered' state. And the reset procedure required the immobilizer authentication to have already been completed successfully and the engine started, right ?

The immobilizer check is performed independently every time the ignition turns on. "When the ignition is switched on, the Engine Controller initiates communication with the transponder chip in the key. Data is exchanged and if the challenge is authenticated, the BMS-K(P) will unlock the ignition (spark), fuel injection, fuel pump and starter motor." It either works or it doesn't, and if if it fails then the EWS error is shown on the dash.

Does he still have the second key and has he tried to use that?
    Are all other keys or anything which could interfere with the signal removed from the vicinity of the ignition ?
    Has something else changed which might be causing interference? A brand new cell tower or nuclear power station hasn't just been installed next door ?
    Mark_H likes this.
  4. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Check that the ignition ring wires haven't been broken at the ignition, easy to do.

I also remember various instances of auxiliary lights or heated gear causing interference with the ignition.
  5. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    me too once had an EWS error go away by unplugging the battery for half an hour. Worth a try.
  6. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok Guys thank you for all the suggestions, tried everything and still no change, so it was time to look further.

I suspected a 'fried' ECU just as the others have had a positive terminal shorted to the casing but this guy had not even opened up the seat since riding the bike last time and then this EWS suddenly appeared.

The bike is now running again and the fault was definitely a 'fried' ECU but we still do not know how it occurred.
    Took out the ECU and it was fixed by and electronics repair guy who found the shorted terminal and soldered it back up. Placed ECU in bike and it started and runs perfectly again.

Next thing is a good Earth cable fitted to the casing of the ECU and try to work out how it happened ????

We live and learn.
    nev.. likes this.
  7. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Glad to hear you got it fixed.
  8. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Cheers, this fried ECU thing is becoming all too common, but the fix is getting easier too.
    etotore likes this.
  9. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    There is the first indication of what I have suspected which is under some fault conditions other than a "accidental short" the load on the earth pins of the BMSE can overload the current capability of the earth links which makes the fitting of the external earth strap important, not only for the Terra/Strada/Nuda owners but also the 650GS owners
    Slowflyer and Mark_H like this.
  10. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    Do a load test on the battery. If the voltage drops too far it will creating a problem. Just having a good 12+ volt reading while not under a load can be misleading.

Paw Paw
  11. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Thanks Wayne. For us electronic noobs, is this simply a matter of installing a decent sized cable from ECU external case to some point on the bike frame ?
  12. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    yes, from the ECU case to the bike frame (remove paint) or battery negative.
    LED likes this.