1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Another 71 400 Cross Resurrected

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Crashaholic, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Ten months ago I started restoring this classic beauty and I'm getting close to finishing it so I thought I'd post some pictures. Heres what I had to start with more or less.

Everything was in good condition considering some of the thrashed race bikes I've seen. The frame or pipe didn't required any welding repairs, just disassembly and paint.

Looking at the empty cases pictured on the work beanch you can see why these motors were referred to as the pumpkin motor.

DSCN1166.JPG

DSCN1164.JPG

DSCN1169 - Copy.JPG
  2. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Heres the motor in progress. Cases barrel and head were bead blasted and blown off with compressed air, all threaded holes were cleaned out with a tap (I love assembling an engine I can screw bolts in without binding) then washed in alumi-prep and rinsed blown off again and dried before painting. I used VHT black semi gloss cured on the BBQ.

Kick starter foot-lever was zinc plated. Carb was disassembled and dipped in carb cleaner over night then rinsed and blown out with compressed air then the main body, cap, and bowl were bead blasted.

New gaskets, seals, piston, bearings, clutch plates, etc. Leak down test was also performed and the timing was set to factory specs with a dial indicator.

DSCN1412 B.JPG

DSCN1414 B.JPG

DSCN1417 B.JPG

DSCN1418 B.JPG
    Brad Burris likes this.
  3. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Frame paint is a custom urethane created by hand from an NOS swingarm. It may appear more gray than most which tend to lean towards silver.

Handlebar clamps were bead blasted and the black m6 allen screws are coated so they don't rust. In the past I've found that plain black oxide screws rust over time just sitting in the garage.

Steering head bearing races are zinc plated as are all the Bufo bolts. The secondary coil was bead blasted and sprayed with a clear coat, mounting tab was masked off for a good ground.

The silencer wasn't a stock option on this bike but it was a Husky option that could be purchased separately. I felt fortunate to have an exhaust in such good condition.

Girling are the correct length, bushings are excellent. Springs are the correct 75lb rate.

DSCN1585.JPG

DSCN1588.JPG

DSCN1628.JPG

DSCN1630.JPG
    Brad Burris, visiteur1948 and Steve-F like this.
  4. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    New nipples and stainless spokes. I tried to have the original spokes and nipples zinc plated by two different plating outfits and both times they looked like crap so I went with the aftermarket stuff.

DSCN2001.JPG

Tank was done by Vintage Husky, chrome, paint and decals cost $800 with including shipping :eek:. Looks nice though. The color in the photo is a little more orange than in person, which is red.

DSCN1941.JPG

And then I #&$! it up!

DSCN2004 B.jpg

I had the tank resting upside down on top of a bucket, with a towel as a cushion no less, and the top of the bucket caused the paint to move. I was de-rusting the inside and had to turn the tank upside down because I didn't have enough de-ruster to reach the top. I sent it back to LeFevre and should have it back this next week. For those of you who aren't familiar with tank a resto, the chroming process causes rusting inside the tank so the best time to clean it out is after re-chroming and before painting. The tank sat for an entire month after I got it back the first time so I thought it was cured, after all it was 95+ degrees and 9% humidity the entire time.

DSCN2006.JPG
    Brad Burris and DeathFromAbove like this.
  5. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The forks were washed, bead blasted, painted, new slider seals, and copper washers on the m7 allen screws that fasten the spindles and new copper washers on the oil filler screws on top. Caps and washers were zinc plated. Notice how nice the bottom of the forks are. Theres no battle scars from rocks. I didn't re-chrome or replace the stanchions because they are in good condition and its a big expense.

DSCN1864.JPG

DSCN1861.JPG

Ignition bead blasted.

DSCN1429 B.JPG
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Bars are the early narrow style that were mainly pre-71 but the guy who I'm doing this build for liked them more than the later wide style. I didn't polish the lever clamps because my experience is they just oxidize in a of couple years. New Magura grips. Refurbished original Magura throttle.

DSCN1639.JPG

DSCN1640.JPG

DSCN1641.JPG

MORE TO COME
  7. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Coming along nicely. :thumbsup: Keep the pics coming.
  8. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's
    nice job mate, looking good!
  9. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Another one saved great job.
  10. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    That is very nice. The tank faux pas is familiar. I put a freshly painted zrx tank on a bucket (only for a second), .5 seconds later It rolled across the shop floor... i said to myself...self that's gonna cost ya. It did.
  11. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ouch!

I finished this bike 18 months ago where soon after its new owner pick it up, whom had previously contacted me asking if I had one of these I would part with. Little did I know the bike has roots in the Hollywood stunt business. A year and a half later the new owner decided to put it on Ebay. Two days after it was listed he added the vin number to the listing and the bidding took off.

I must admit its a bit painful to have passed up a substantial sum of money all because I wasn't prudent in educating myself on the history of one of my bikes.

Johns 71 400 Ebay Listing.png
    Brad Burris likes this.
  12. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    What was it famous for?
  13. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Was it one of JN Roberts' bikes?
  14. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I don't know what particular movie(s) it may have been in. Viking Mtrs responded to the Ebay sellers request for documentation with a statement that said "I found the registration card on 7-14-1971. On line 5 that reads for what type of riding is this motorcycle used for the fun box and trail riding box is checked and riders comments STUNTS is spelled out. So maybe the bike was purchased for stuntmen for film work?"

It was also said it was originally sold to Mel Shapiro of Burbank. Seems he was a motorcycle racing enthusiast. So at this point I really don't know what the attraction is.
  15. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    You never know some ones motivation when they buy something, someone bought a potato chip that looked like the pope for a lot. I've also seen people bid a bike up to high levels only to see it on craigslist 2 months later for less than a quarter the highest bid. Sorry for your loss.:cry:
  16. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349

Mel Shapiro may have been an alias of Malcolm Smith
    Brad Burris likes this.
  17. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    a mates wife bought him a special order 1971 GT falcon off the original owner for his 40th birthday.. after a substantial $$ resto and a few years, he had a bloke approach him about selling it..told him he had always liked the car had followed its history always wanted to own it yada yada . Ol mate pulled a number out of his head that was much more than it cost and the bloke said "done'...3 weeks later he gets a call from another bloke who has just bough the car...3 x the price!!! Ol mate was savage..... its pretty hard to keep on top of this stuff....unless you sold the scoot for a loss:( you just have to move on and not get to involved or you will go nuts
  18. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    But what if your already nuts?
  19. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    that will explain ....Everythiiiinnnggg:banghead:
  20. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    There was a discussion on this topic on another forum. They pointed out that the bidding was not the norm for eBay. Just three bidders, one with only 1 prior eBay feedback and another with only 2. The eventual winner did have 751.

Although a top notch restoration, the comments on the forum were also questioning why the bidding went so high. There have been other bikes with documented ownership (courtesy of Viking Mtrs) by Husky factory riders and other celebrities that have not sold for half that or less.