1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

airbox resto

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by MikeDi, Jan 19, 2018.

1. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Stuck in the 80's vintage
    any tips on getting this black oil stained skanky POS airbox clean?
    probably going to start sanding
  2. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    degrease then a good truck wash and a stiff brush.
  3. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I used Rustoleum Plastic and also Krylon for Plastic. Both work well and look nice as well.

Like anything else you paint cleanliness and preparation are the keys to success.
  4. Down Under XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    XC250 83', WR250 87','XC150 10
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR165 10, 83 KDX 250,
    Look carefully at box once cleaned up as I had to do three fibreglass repairs on mine
  5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I purchased the plastic paint for the same reason too and I got the primer for the plastic paint.
  6. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    I just purchased the Rustoleum 2 in 1 paint/primer for metal, wood and plastic. Curious how well it will work. Cleaned and sanded the airbox today. Previous owner had painted it blue. Plan is to spray it with plastic prep before painting. Will post a few pics when done.
  7. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    I just cleaned it and stuck it on.... kind of use to it already....
  8. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    I probably would have done the same if not for the blue paint. Just put another few coats of gloss white on this evening. It is looking better but not quite there yet. I usually sand plastics progressively up to 800 grit or so to get that new plastic look. For paint to stick, only went up to 220 grit. Mistake. Every scratch from the sandpaper was visible after painting. After 48 hours drying time, went back and lightly sanded with 400 grit. Should have done this to begin with. This made a noticeable difference, especially after tonight's application. There is a little orange peel and a couple of runs but I think some more light sanding and a couple more coats of Krylon will fix it. Maybe I should have stuck with Rustoleum paint? Not professional grade job for sure but good enough for a rider. Hopefully it holds up.
  9. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just a bit more of the back story. The airbox was really stained from two stroke exhaust goop. The inside was a mouse nest so it had double the stank!
    I removed it, then stuck the whole airbox in a tub of simple green for about a week. After that I scrubbed it, power washed it, let it dry. Then sanded it, tried using parts cleaner, carb cleaner, and pretty much every know toxic chemical that will melt your face off..
    More sanding.... sick of that... scrubbed it with ajax / comet what ever...
    The end result was a stained airbox that still leached a film of oily residue that I doubt any paint would stick to. Since it was the last thing besides mounting the tires, I pretty much resigned to the fact that it's stained. Anyway, this is a racer resto. I'm happy with it. Rock on!
    DeathFromAbove and Krudd like this.
  10. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    thats the go, make it work, bolt it on! visuals only last to the first corner then mud covers it up!:thumbsup:
  11. Joedints Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300 13 WR125 81 WR430 82 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZR7-S
    I used this stuff on my air box. Took off someone's old over spray also. There are pics in my posting a few above this one..

https://goo.gl/images/9nA48k
    MikeDi likes this.