1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Air intake backfire screen

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by cbreakin, Jun 9, 2009.

1. cbreakin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE510
    How many of you guys have removed the backfire screen in the intake on your FI Husky four strokes(TE/SMR 450/510)? It looks like a pretty substantial restriction to intake air flow. If the screen is removed are you running a risk of burning the bike down? Thanks in advance!
  2. HUSQVNA Husqvarna
    AA Class

Agree it's way restrictive in appearance anyway. Pulled mine out of my TE310, but can't tell ya if it change anything as I never rode it with it in place. I do know, I've owned MANY bikes in the last few years and none have had a screen. The filters are fire retardant anyway, so I'd say it's a safe bet you don't have to worry about a fire hazard. Sure someone can attest otherwise, but I've never seen any signs on the inside of a filter from a back-fire gone wrong. For what it's worth.
  3. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I pulled mine out, but I will admit, I have seen an XR650 start on fire after the bike blew back and lit up the filter.
  4. cbreakin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE510
    Thanks for the replies! One more question, do the fuel injected bike have more, less, or the same probability of intake side back fires? It seems since fuel flow is controlled by the ECU/injector there may be a slight chance that they are less prone to actually blowing flame through the intake tract:excuseme:. Any ideas?
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

I've never seen one actually light the filter on fire but I have seen it char the inside of the filter and then suck the burnt foam into the engine leaving a big hole in the air filter and then giving the cylinder a hone job compliments of some Glamis sand.
  6. mxracernumber1 Husqvarna
    A Class

This I have witnessed as well. Good point. I leave mine in.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I took mine out on every 4 stroke i owned. Thousands of miles without issues but is can happen. Don't clean your air filters with gas and do this. Better yet just don't clean your air filters with gas period. :D
  8. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

Same here, screens on my bikes are typically pitched during initial set-up.

I finally stopped cleaning with gas, over a decade ago. Been using No-Toil cleaner/oil last several yrs.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I need to try that stuff. What do you like about it? EZ clean up?
  10. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

Real easy...just dump a little in few inches of water, mix up, swish the filter around a bit and rinse........Cleans filter very well.
    When you're done, just toss the water out on the lawn (for anyone concerned about that, it's biodegradable and non-toxic)

Oil (I use spray on, & massage in) has good tackiness to it, waterproof, and traps dust well w/o seeming to restrict air flow like some filter oils seem to do a little.

Plus, ......and I can get it at about any local shop
  11. HUSQVNA Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have to 2nd the No-Toil. Been using it since it came on the market and never had a filter fail as a result of using it. When I'm feeling really lazy, I'll toss them in the wash machine and they come out great. EZ clean up, bio-degradable, low odor, and doesn't destroy filters like some of the harsher cleaners will over time. Product of the year, every year in my book!
  12. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

FYI you can also use Oxy clean in the wash for your filters if you are currently using No-Toil oil,same stuff and much cheaper
  13. HUSQVNA Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good to know! Thanks
  14. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    Here in the wet East I had problems running No-Toil at wet events-degraded the filter oil. Don't use it anymore. What do you use instead of gas for solvent type filter oil?
  15. HUSQVNA Husqvarna
    AA Class

Kerosene works great, and wont' destroy the fibers.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    PJ1 filer cleaner, works great but gets expensive.
  17. rajobigguy Administrator

I usually use mineral spirits to clean the oil off the filters then wash the mineral spirits off with warm soapy water, rinse and dry before reoiling and reinstalling.
  18. GoFaster Husqvarna
    AA Class

On the 08 TE's if you remove the screen, does the filter still seal properly?
  19. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Yes.:thumbsup:
  20. GoFaster Husqvarna
    AA Class

So your not leaving the rubber part of behind?
    Mine seemed to stand off the base too high, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.