1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Air Filter Pre-Filter Skins for 511 and 310

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by River-Runner, Feb 7, 2016.

1. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro
    Anyone find a filter skin that fits well on the 310 or the 511? I've not seen anything that looks like it would fit the flat 511 filter.

Thanks.
  2. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    What's different with the 310 and 511 filters that a PCRacing filter skin won't fit? They're a clingy foam that should stretch as needed.
  3. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro
    Have you used the PC Racing skins on the 310 or 511? I'm trying to find out from those who have used skins what exactly they buy before I spend $15 for each bike only to buy the wrong ones.

The 310 is a dome filter like most dirt bikes and the 511 is a big, flat filter. The airbox on a 511 is where a fuel tank usually goes on a dirt bike - lots of filter space - different animal.

I will google the PCR Racing filters. Thanks.
  4. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
  5. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro
    NC Steve,

Not trying to play 20-questions, but have you used this PC Racing skin on the 310? Does not look like it will fit the 511 with its unique set up.

Thank you
  6. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    well, the 310 style air filter has been around for, what?, ...like 25 years? so you're in luck there. 'Cause I bet that the big filter skin will fit w/ no problems (never had 'em on my husky; other bikes: yes). But you're definitely out of luck with the small-market 511 (and I don't know why you're "coupling" these models together in a single sentence; the 511 air filter is way different than earlier generations of huskies, but the 310 uses the same 'ole filter).

you used to get 3 skins in a pack, IIRC.

You COULD make one for the 511: go to wally-world (in the "ethnic hair care" products section) and get a couple of the stretchy do-rag things & a sewing machine and go for it. Paint filter might work too.

Not for me though- if I was going to tackle something like this, I'd get a piece of foam (Uni sells different grades of flat foam; I made an air filter for my '75 DT400) and make a pre-filter. I would use the reticulated-grade stuff personally.

Using a TXC airbox is a mod that some TE511 guys are doing. I like the 511's air horn up front and high- a good design.
    NCSteve likes this.
  7. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    No, don't have a 310, but I've used them on a XR250 which has an oblong filter and use them on my wr300 & 144.
    You do get 3 per pack, they stretch and conform pretty well, feel flimsy, but all mine are still in use. They don't have to conform to your filter shape exactly. On the XR they're slack on the long sides, but still cling to the edge and work fine. I guess you could cut and stitch a couple into odd shapes easily, if you decide to go that route.

As long as I have a clean skin on my filter stays clean for months and I ride 2-3 times a week usually. Love it! Drastically reduced time and expense of filter maintenance.
    :cheers:
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  8. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro

The reason I'm asking about both the 310 and 511: I have a 511 and my wife has a 310.....trying to find a solution for both bikes ....

Thanks for the feedback guys.
  9. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    yeah, I don't think that's gonna work; w-a-a-a-y different critters. A COTS filter skin will fit the 310, but you're gonna hafta cobble something up specifically for the 511.

good luck.
  10. Aggrocrag Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF250L
    I have a 310, and I have used the skins. While it fits fine, and does a good job, it is a HUGE PITA to get on! As you already know, the filter location on a 310 is a bit....tight, so getting the filter skin all the way around the bottom of the filter is quite the job. I found it's easiest with the side plastics removed, so you can get your fingers down lower on the filter. If anyone else has an easy "how to", I'm all ears.
  11. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    On the XR it's easy to change skins with the filter on. On the Husky 2t I put the skin on the filter before installation and can just get my fingers around the bottom to adjust it. I also snip a hole and fit it under the filter bolt grommet, that helps hold it.
    I'm just resigned to pulling the filter to change the skin. Since it lasts for weeks it's not a big deal.
  12. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    I've got a UNI on the 511. It's a tight fit, but seems to work really well.
  13. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro

Cosmo - What kind of UNI product are you using on the 511? A pod filter versus stock?

Thanks.
  14. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Sorry, just a stock replacement. Sorry, for some reason I ready the title as filter kits, filter skins. I think my post was irrelevant.
    EDIT: I botched this post. I meant to say I read the title as filter kits, not filter skins.
  15. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I use hair nets as pre-filters. Oil them up, and they work perfect, and cost almost nothing
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  16. Mudvayne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310, KTM 300 XCW
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley, CR500AF, XR650L, Z50, RC-51
    I use the pc filter skins on my 2012 TE 310 and my KTM 300 XCW and a few other bikes I own they work great, I believe they are a universal fit so just stretch them on also only about 20-25$ in Canada and 3 come in the package pretty cheap added insurance! :) Hope that helps!

Attached Files:

NCSteve likes this.
  17. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Hairnet or chux cloths soaked in filter oil do a great job
  18. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro
    Zomby Woof & ghte - thank you!

Summary: Oiled hair net will work great on the 511, PITA on the 310.

I tried using a hairnet stretched over the TE511 foam filter element and cage. It actually was pretty easy. I just sprayed the hairnet with UNI spray filter oil when stretched over the 511 foam filter. I can't see why this won't work on the 511 really well. Of our two bikes, the 511 and 310, the 310's filter is always the dirtiest. On the 511, if we were doing a multi-day summer trip in dusty country - I might even try putting two hairnets over the stock foam filter. In the evening, just pull off one side of plastic, drop the filter cage and peel off one dirty hairnet, a clean one remains and the underlying foam is still clean. Takes 5 minutes.

Now, for the 310. I tried putting an oiled hairnet over the foam uni filter, but not under the foam where it fits on the air box. I had the hairnet's elastic band maybe 1/4 inch from the bottom of the filter. It was a PITA and I ultimately will look into another product. Even with the plastic off both sides, which gives you a lot more room to help the filter into it's home position, it is still really tight - as you know if you have a 310.

Anybody found something easy to use in the 310? Mudvayne - I'll order a set of the ones you are using - thanks.

Now, when will we actually see dust in Oregon this spring.............?