1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Air filter: keep K&N or replace with foam?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Scud, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Scud Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 701 Enduro, 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Ducati ST3
    Just sold my heavily used TE510 and picked up a near-new TE450 with all the goodies.
    Can't wait to go riding. :D

Not sure about one of the goodies though - the K&N air filter. And sadly, I didn't get the stock air filter cage (so will need to buy one if I go back to foam filters).

I always ran foam filters (mostly TwinAir) and red No Toil on the 510.

So - keep or ditch the K&N? ...and some sub-questions:
    1. Does anybody run K&N in the dusty or sandy areas?
    2. Is there a foam sock to put over the K&N?
    3. Any consensus on the best foam filters?
    4. How about the red vs. green No Toil?
    BTW - I was on ThumperTalk in past, but not very active. Just joined here, first post...
  2. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    I would ditch the k&n and use a twin air.
    robertaccio likes this.
  3. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    me 3 (twinair) go foam or go home!!!
  4. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    I had a k&n on an old TTR250 which a friend now owns, it has over 10,000km on it now with the k&n on it for all of that time. It still runs perfectly on original piston/rings, valves never checked. I am convinced it filters well but it is harder to clean. I would recommend the foam on any dedicated dirt bike though.
  5. Scud Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks guys. I use a K&N on my Moto Guzzi. But the consensus seems to be ditch it for the dirt bike. I also talked to Mik at Motospportz. He likes the Moose Racing filters with the neoprene gaskets. I like that those don't require rim grease. Two on the way, along with a filter frame and an axle nut. Decided to try Maxima's foam filter air too - have always been satisfied with their other products.
  6. Tetley Husqvarna
    AA Class

K & N seem to make filters with really free flowing air, but at the expense of fine filtration. TwinAir are specifically designed for dirt bikes to give the best protection in dirt, mud, dust water etc. If a TwinAir is blocked up, it may knock a few BHP off the engine power, but most dirt bikes are way over powered for 99% of riding situations. Leave the K & N to tarmac track racing or supermoto where every BHP counts.
    I bet a K & N won't hold the water back during a deep river crossing just long enough to get through without drowning the bike!
  7. Scud Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

That last part about water crossings is a good add. My stuff showed up yesterday. Now I can go get it dirty without worrying about sucking all kinds of abrasives into the engine.