air box bolts spinning

Discussion in '610/630' started by ghte, Apr 22, 2016.

1. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Silver bullet once wrote that he spun them out with an air gun. I gather a high speed drill could do the same. The question is do you spin out anti clockwise? I know its a dumb question but I want to get it right.
    Cheers guys.
  2. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050, KLX300, TT250,
    Yes, anti clockwise
  3. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    I've got one that spins, near the bottom.
    I can still squeeze the filter out from the top and wipe down the inside. For now...
  4. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks guys. Unfortunately my spinners are evenly distributed so no sneaky sliding in or out for me unfortunately-dang.
  5. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

I've had similar situations where I drilled the head off the bolt to get the panel off, then locked a set of vice grips on the plastic surrounding the spinning nut to back out the rest of the bolt. Then drill/pin/epoxy/whatever it takes to lock that nut back in place and use a new bolt with a little anti-seize on it.
  6. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    Hi Glen,
    I'm the bloke on the 630 who had a chat with you a couple of years ago at Zig Zag. I just got my bike back from Northside Motorcycles today after a month of them trying to figure out how to solve the airbox spinning nuts problem, plus a few other issues.

They ended up drilling out all of the screws & putting in new bolts from the rear, welded/Devconned in somehow, so now I have nuts to undo instead of screws. I haven't checked what it looks like yet as I've been working all afternoon, but I'm very much looking forward to being able to perform this basic air filter maintenance for the first time in 3+ years!

Regards, Russell
  7. Tobz Husqvarna
    AA Class

I used stainless crimp clamps on mine. They seem to be holding up well.

20160423_085841.jpg
  8. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi Rus what did Carl charge you to perform the airbox fix.
  9. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    Hi Glen,
    I'm not sure what the cost of that component was as I had a fair bit done, including:
    New chain & sprockets
    New rear tyre
    Fixing "spongy" clutch
    Service
    Fixing problem with metal oil strainer that perished leaving lots of metal in oil
    But I believe the main time consuming part was trying to devise the air box fix. They had the bike for 5 weeks, which would have added to the cost.

The cost itself was just under $2200, $1500 of that labour, so not a cheap exercise.

I've attached page one of the invoice which describes what they did to the airbox.

image.jpeg
  10. pomuk Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sms630 2011
    Lol i had same issue i tried a impact driver no luck high speed drill yep no luck again so thought bugger it got shot of the whole thing rollin wid a 45degree uni filter probly lost little on the low down power curve but nothing noticeable 20160726_165626.jpg
  11. hardtop Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 610 TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Caponord
    3 of mine came out as well. Put them back in using gorilla glue and, so far, they have not loosened up.
  12. stuartmcivor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS630
    +1