1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

AHRMA Mid-Atlantic / Northeast Enduro Series

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Richard Colahan, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    71 250 Cross, 74 125WR, 75 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vintage British bikes, 1969 Penton
    Here's some preliminary info on an Enduro Series that will be made up of a few AHRMA National and Regional (Mid-Atlantic and Northeast) events.

Round 1: McKee's Sky Ranch, Sat 7/29
    AHRMA National XC Series
    Old School Timekeeping Enduro

Rounds 2 & 3: King Ferry NY, 8/12 & 8/13.
    AHRMA Northeast Regional
    2 day Start Control Enduro, no Timekeeping required

Rounds 4 & 5: Bear Creek Sportsmen, Hancock NY, 9/9 & 9/10.
    AHRMA National XC Series
    2 day ISDT Qualifier style Enduro, no Timekeeping required

All events will be open to non-licensed, non street-legal Vintage and Post-Vintage bikes.

Year end awards will be based on the rider's best 4 scores.

More info to follow...this is a work in progress...
    A flyer should be available at the 1/22 York PA Swap Meet.
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    What is this York Pa swap meet like? Is it indoors?
  3. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    It's a huge indoor swap meet in York PA. They are having the AHRMA banquet there the Saturday eve before the swap meet. There's a lot of swapping/selling going on in the parking lot too.

http://pvr.potomacvintageriders.com
  4. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Probably 80% focused on dirt bike stuff...always plenty of bargains. And a great bike show with about 100 vintage bikes on display.
    Bring an empty trailer !
    The PVR group will have a display table with AHRMA Mid-Atlantic XC series info and entry blanks for the McKee's Vintage Enduro in July.
  5. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    I'm in!!! Great trails at King ferry and Hancock too. Do all follow the ISDT qualifier rules or just Hancock?
  6. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    West Virginia is classic enduro timekeeping, not sure about Kings Ferry
  7. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

few discernible differences between start control and ISDT qualifier. mostly parc ferme or not
    just go to all 5......too EZ
  8. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's what I'm thinkin'. I can even run my Triumph in the vintage class if I can find some better rear shocks.
  9. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Joe's right...Start Control and ISDT rules pretty much the same...
    If set up right...you arrive early at start control...wait for your # to come up...ride the "special test" section as fast as you can...try not to get run over by Fred...hit the check out...accumulate time...usually followed by a mileage reset and/or low speed average in transfer section to allow you to arrive at next start control back on time.
  10. AbnMike Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    vintage 250 WR
    So here's probably a dumb question: How do you know how fast you should go on a timed course? I'll be (hopefully) racing a few of them for the first time this year (don't anyone worry, I'm 40 and slow).

Do they give you time to ride the course first and then tell you "perfect time is x minutes" so you can adjust?
  11. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not a dumb question at all!
    To avoid writing a book, I'll try to simplify.
    First...NO! You do not pre-ride an enduro course.

Second, separate the Timekeeping Enduro (McKee's in WVA) from the 2 NY Start control/ ISDT type enduros...

Regarding the Start control enduros: As mentioned above, typically there is a generous time schedule (for example: 18 mph) that allows most riders to arrive at a known checkpoint (aka: start control) ahead of their due start time. Let's say you're on row #10...you arrive at start control #1 when row # 5 is due...you have 5 minutes before you are scheduled to leave on row # 10. So...you take a 5 minute break...and pull up to the line ready to go when the flip cards show that row # 10 will be next.
    At the flip of the row # 10 card...off you go on a trail section...at the fastest trail speed you are comfortable riding!
    Let's say the section is 4 miles long...as you cross the line at the check station at the end of the section...your elapsed time is recorded. If it took you 12: 24 to ride that section...when minutes convert to seconds your score would be 744 seconds...or "points". If your buddy took 12:12...then he beat you by 12 seconds!
    Then you repeat the process...moving on to the next start control.

Now...regarding traditional (to USA only I believe...) Timekeeping Enduros. This is an area where books actually HAVE been written!
    Timekeeping Enduros require the rider to attempt to maintain a prescribed time schedule (24 mph, 18 mph, etc.) over a course that includes everything from paved/gravel roads (where you can easily exceed the time schedule) to the tightest trail (where no one...not even the winner...can make the time schedule).
    Your arrival time is recorded at secret checkpoints along the course. The rider receives points for arriving late OR early at these secret checkpoints.
    Typically, the winning Timekeeping enduro rider is the one who has dropped the least amount of points on the tough sections...and has avoided being caught early in an easier section.
    There's alot more to it...some have compared it to a sports car rally on a dirt bike through the woods.
    Learning when to gas it...and when to hold back...comes with experience.

Last year I made up a "Timekeeping made easy" poster for the McKee's enduro. I'll try to post it here or perhaps in a new thread.
    Also, on Friday evening before the McKee's enduro last year we had a Q&A seminar where we went over alot of the details. The response was excellent and we'll certainly do the same thing this year. I'll add this: Once you ride one...or maybe two...it all starts to come together...and they are alot of fun!
  12. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Abn Mike

Look for me on the DZ (pits)

I will ensure you get to your assembly area (know what you are doin)

Also give you a JMPI and prejump brief if required

Joe
    (too many ABN units to list)
  13. Dan Gavin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1979 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many
    Very happy to see this series come together as most know who've ridden enduros you get a lot of seat time with these events.
    Cant speak of McKee event but the King Ferry event offers some real fun terrain.
    Any idea what the classes will be, will they be the typical Cross Country classes?
  14. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

from what I heard, typical classes
  15. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400

The only thing that I'm not that comfortable with is not starting your bike till your minute. At King Ferry last year there were 4 husky's 2 rows ahead of me and none started.:mad: Those guys kicked 10 or 15 times and finally got going. I know it's all part of the vintage racing, making sure your bike is ready and set up right but sometimes things fall apart when you need it most. If your bike starts first kick, it's like :banana:
  16. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    King Ferry this year will not be a "Qualifier"...so there will be no impound.
  17. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

no start til minute is only for qualifier same as perc ferme. otherwise no issues
  18. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    18 mph is three tenths a minute, 24 mph is four tenths of a mile per minute.
  19. AbnMike Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    vintage 250 WR

Awesome. As long as you don't make me stand in a field without my bike but pretending that I'm sitting on it reaching for the controls as you do a by the numbers instruction on how to ride it!

(the only Airborne Division that counts: 82d)
  20. Houredout401 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '77 CR250 '78WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '76MR250 '83IT250 '84 IT490 '69CT70
    ooh this looks interesting, gotta see if I can squeeze one of two of these in.