1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

After: Tank Mount Bolt and Nut

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by schimmelaw, Feb 14, 2009.

1. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

No photos of the original hardware b/c I tossed eveything, except the rubber. Original tank mounting hardware was the wrong size (American thread), rusted, bent and wallowed out. It all went in the trash - ahh - recycle bin.
    1st photo: Cleaned stock rubber grommets, modified ssteel washers, drilled wingnut and 100mm ssteel allen bored for aluminum concho.
    2nd photo: Assembled parts as above. Wingnut - a spare Husky rear brake-rod wingnut ground flat, drilled and blasted. Ready for black powder.
    3rd photo: Back side of ssteel allen head bored out with concho pressed in w/ gorilla snot as a locking adhesive. Suprisingly strong. No worries regarding reliabilty/functon.
    4th and 5th photos: Mounted up. Hey, why not?

Attached Files:

2. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    I REALLY like the idea of a wing nut on the tank bolt, especially one with a nylock insert. The holes drilled through the wings makes it look like a factory race part! Another option for the other side would be a knurled knob. Nice job.
  3. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Picklito,
    Thanks man. Nylock wingnut would be the way to go. My nut/bolt guy said "... no way..." "... N/A..." so I was religated to using the modified stocker.

I had a couple of the conchos sitting on the tool box for awhile now. Leftovers from a previous project. Decided to use them for something, hence.
  4. HuskyT Moderator

Schimme.... what is the length and size of the allenhead that you used

M6?8? x XXX mm ?

Concho does have a certain Flair to it.... I like the individuality!

I was starting to think of a set of "CapGuns" and crisscross holsters that I had when I was about 4 year old.... they were kinda "badass" as I remember!

What are they normally used for? Saddle/Horse tack?

T
  5. HuskyT Moderator

That brake rod and wingnut of mine that didn't sell on ebay is now being recycled..

Great idea:thumbsup::cheers::applause:

T
  6. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    doh! I thought the stocker 'was' a nylock wing nut! But I see it's a regular. Didn't mean to imply anything negative about yours.

Ya, crossed pistols would be a good one!
  7. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

HuskyT,
    Thanks. The allen is stainless 6mm X 100mm. I think the stocker is 6mm X 90mm. The extra 10mm is needed for the longer wingnut and three or four threads will still show.

The concho came from a set of saddlebags I had. I think that kind of stuff can be found at a leather craft store.

It is this kind of details that I find most enjoyable about bike rebuild/resto. To take the 28 year old neglected/broke/bent/wore out/filthy/junk stock components and turn them into something that functions better, is more reliable and looks cooler is what I find most rewarding. Plus, anything I might do to this bike will be an improvement over it's current condition. I know the Husky purists will scoff at anything other than a "showroom stock" rebuild, but that just isn't appealing to me for this bike. I, like most bike riders, can't leave stock alone.

I meant to tell you the misc. parts you had nickle plated has inspired me. Very very clean. I'm doing the same thing.

Rick
  8. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Update
    Drilled out the repaired tank mount hole to snuggly fit some Pro Motion gas line through - I now have a rubber mounted tank with no forward/backward or up/down movement. That hose is the S:censored:T!!! Thick, soft and pliable. 6mm attachment bolt fits right in. Cheap fix.

Gorilla snot not the best adhesive - concho and allen came apart while mocking up rubber mount. JBWeld made its appearance overnight. No problems now. Should have used it to begain w/.

Wingnut powdered. Tank mounting components complete.

Attached Files:

9. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

i drilled mine out to accept 8mm bolts & welded nut on inside of each so now it take (2) short 8mm bolts and doesn't move f/r. the other tip is use heavy-duty tie wrap w/"D" rings for the rear mounting- nice and tite!
  10. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Leftcoast,
    Both great ideas - and - a much better improvement over stock I might add.
    Rick