1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

After - Air Box

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by schimmelaw, Mar 12, 2009.

1. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

81' 430 XC
    Mine had to be the worst filter assembly in the WORLD. Air filter came out in pieces - expected. Rubber mounting was cut up inner tubes - not expected. Metal framing was chipped and rusting. Nut/bolts were mismatched and rusted out. Filter cover held on w/ zip ties. Filter box had 3/16" - 1/4" of "concrete" in the lower sections. 28 years of filter oil, sand, dirt, mud, water, neglect and all kinds of other stuff -- WHA LA -- concrete. An hour and a half in the parts washer with a CHISEL scrapping/digging that stuff out. It came clean. Now need parts.

Photo 1: Clean, powdered and new parts. I love prepped parts. Box is good. Powdered framing. New rubber flat washers and upper and lower mounting pieces. Ssteel and ano hardware. Some blue aluminum rivets. Twin Air (its not two separate filters like I remember - just one thick one).

Photo 2 and 3: Clean box. Mounted crankcase breather from Uni. Note lower grommet and Pro Motion line. Breather is movable on air filter framing for filter remove/replace. Waterproof.

Photo 4: Front side. Hose will loop and mount to crank cover.

SM conversion is progressing

Attached Files:

2. HuskyT Moderator

More detail on the UNI Breather please Source / PN filter material etc...

Where do you get the ano rivets, size ? and can I get them in red?

Where did the grommet come from and what size drill did you use? Why not drill through on the left front of box?

length of breather line inside case to allow for travel with filter cage? Overall length ? Size of tubing?

Looks great :thumbsup:

T
  3. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tim,

Thanks.

Uni breather part number UP-121 for 3/16" "push in" type. Filter fits in the hole of the tube vs being clamped. Parts Unlimited at $15.95. Per catalog "... made of a washable urethane that needs no oil or special cleaners..." "... measures 1 1/2" od by 1 1/2" L ..."

Rivets are aluminum but not anod - powdered or painted. Didn't really look. They look good though. Yes, red, and every other color is available. I got a whole baggie full for 7 or $8.00, including s/h. Search ebay for "red rivet". Once there - I got the bigger ones. Pretty fast shipper.

Grommet came from my local hardware store. I think 7/16" hole size was need for the grommet. I just took the hose w/ me and matched it up w/ a grommet that had a tight fit. Brought it home and started drilling. I ended up going bigger than the 7/16" that was recommended but not by much. Hose is the 1/4" Motion Pro Tygon fuel line - gray. Again, Parts Unlimited. Fits snug on breather - not too tight - not too loose. Exact length not yet determined. Long for some "play".

Ran the hose where I did for couple of reasons: (1) hated the way Husky looped the tube up over and down - not much thought in that and so exposed (2) hose in low and end up high for venting purposes (3) can't go much above the lower rivets b/c you get close to interfering with the filter and the filter's frame/mounting on the other side (4) not alot of room on right side of the rivets (as looking at photo 4) b/c the down tube of the frame and the lower rubber mounting location of the air box and the hardware on the backside are all right in the way (5) for good sealing between grommet and hose - i wanted to keep the grommet on a flat location away from the bends in the air box for the drain. (6) wanted to keep the hose low out of the case, out of the way, avoid the filter and frame mounting issue on the backside of the air box and still look ok.

Rick