AF-XIED Beta for Husqvarna TR650

Discussion in 'TR650' started by drzcharlie, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Slowflyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150R Rockster
    For what it's worth, I have been running the AFXIED for approximately 4000 km now and I have no problems with pinging. I have it set at 9 and my bike is a joy to ride. BTW I bought and ride the bike in Australia. In fact I have found the mod to be so good I have now fitted an AFXIED to my other bike, a BMW R1150R Rockster. I have yet to put many Kms on this since the installation.
  2. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    Well, I've ridden the Strada with the Wuka booster plug enough to determine that the long sleep with the battery disconnected didn't improve matters. I've had 4 abrupt stalls -- but other than that it runs good. I've also put more miles on the Terra with the AF-XIED and the only minor issue is on gradual throttle roll off response not being linear. I think I'll go to #9 after another tank full just to make sure that #8 isn't quite enough.

So much good information from Roger 04 RT and others -- very educational. I'll be getting another AF-XIED for the Strada soon.
  3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Please do educate me Roger, let's start with the Oscilloscope readings. ;)
  4. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    A fair request, I'd be happy to post that information. But a prerequisite is that you write a couple clear paragraphs explaining how the MM ECU forces the mixture to slightly richer than stoichiometric and slightly leaner than stoichiometric in a continuously varying pattern during Closed Loop operation. Then add to that one more paragraph explaining how the short and long term trims are calculated from from Closed Loop operation. For the trims, just explain how the scaling trim is calculated, no need to explain the high manifold vacuum or short fuel pulse trims. Hint: the expanation is at the megasquirt site and in my Wideband O2 thread, here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749080, where I provided all the research experiments.

Of course once you can explain that, the waveform plots will be superfluous. ;)
  5. endurobra Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nudist@
    Other Motorcycles:
    CZ 350 !

Works a treat on the Nuda too- thanks Roger!
  6. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    I now understand that the "ecu reset" is a myth from the old BMW days - further research indicates that the "proceedure" as advocated by many on this forum is a waste of time & achieves nothing

I've just posted my AF-XIED back to Nightrider for fault testing

It did make a difference to my TR's rideability until it failled

Of any "experimenting" todate the Brisk plugs at $16 each appear to have made the biggest difference

I'll keep riding for a few more tankfulls, "unspoofed" before a final verdict
  7. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    This is what all my Dyno tests showed, this dive to lean also corresponds to the "pinging" at 3,500-4,500rpm

From one of your other posts:-
    Closed Loop means the ECU is headed to a target mixture that oscillates around 14.7 for gasoline without ethanol. Most interesting is the dive to lean which occurs during the transition to Cloaed Loop during acceleration. I have the voltage data and will show some new interesting charts tomorrow. Roger
    [IMG] [IMG]
  8. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Thanks for reading my earliest research post on the R1150, that one is from December 2011 before installing my first Wideband O2 sensor. The dive comment was ONLY related to a specific transition during a specific test on the r1150. What you quoted isn't a general description of how closed loop functions. After installing the Wideband I more accurately measured the AFRs during acceleration which are richer than stoic.

Your bike exhibits a lean blip when the throttle is first turned but otherwise runs with a richer than stoic mixture during acceleration (at least that's what Charlie's and big-t's data shows). If leanness is causing the pinging on your bike, the best way to confirm that would be to log AFR during one of your pinging events.

Timing, compression, fuel pressure, combustion chamber oil deposits, and fuel octane are a few of the other possible causes of your pinging issue. Have you ever measure the fuel pressure on your bike to confirm its in spec?
  9. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Roger I've read many of your prolific posts, I'm very impressed, with the time & effort you've put into this (glad I'm not paying you on an hourly rate)

My dyno runs are in many ways different to yours as with the AF-XIED on #7 & then on #8, both showed a significant dive to lean at between 3,500-4,500rpm

I've posted my AF unit back to Nightrider for their testing & inspection, will await their reply

When I return from "offshore", with Wayne's GS911, we'll undertake test runs on the go - Sydney's "shitty" weather over the past couple of weeks has limited riding

Google "Ngujima-Yin" you'll get to see some of the "plant" I get to play with/on
    Slowflyer likes this.
  10. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Wow! I guess you have a good set of sea-legs and the gut to go with it!

I'd seen the leaning of your dyno runs in that rpm range. My thoughts at the time were that it didn't concern me for a couple reasons:

--AFR as measured at the tail pipe is often wrong.
    --Most dyno pulls start lean due to initial conditions and aren't stable until 4500 Rpm or so.
    --Inertial dyno pulls are short and at WOT.

If it's possible, you may want to rent an LM-2 and put its AFR probe near your stock O2 sensor.

Let us know what NR finds, it's always possible something happened to the unit or its cable.

Have fun offshore.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  11. Slowflyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150R Rockster
    My Terra will soon be due its 10k km service. Is there a problem leaving the AFXIEd installed when it goes to the dealer?
  12. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    From a diagnostic point of view, the installation of the AF-XIED should be invisible to the dealer while doing the service (except your bike should run better ;) ).

Since we haven't seen a lot of reports, post dealer-service), it is slightly possible that there is an error code for something like O2 sensor, or Fuel Trim. That would occur if you're asking for a larger shift than the MM ECU expects. However, dealers install PC V and EJK, which are much more invasive to the ECU and all the connectors on the bike, so the AF-XIED should be less likely than these others to draw a dealer objection or throw an error code.

If a dealer asks what it does, since they are likely unfamiliar with it, let them know that it is in series with the O2 sensor and that it shifts the lambda-point several percent toward richer but otherwise the ECU operates as usual.

If you think your dealer will object, that's another issue and you might have to remove it. Hard for me to say.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  13. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Most of the TR's should be out of warranty now anyway. I think it is a non-issue at this point but, they may blame the device for a fault they cannot identify..
    engineerk9 likes this.
  14. Slowflyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150R Rockster
    Thanks, Gentlemen. I will leave it installed and yes, Charlie she is or about to go out of warranty.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  15. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Ordered an AF-XIED the other day, going to give it a try.
    I had to call them and ask if it really took 2 weeks to ship out.
    Confirmed shipped the next day.
    PaulC likes this.
  16. Spank Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada

Just got mine for the strada, no resets performed and no other mods. After an hour on the bike it's great, puls much better from standing still (before it easily stalled). Need to ride a bit more for the ECU to "re learn" to get the full experience I guess.
    Slowflyer likes this.
  17. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    Is there any difference in function between the Fat Duc and the AFX-IED? The units appear to use the same trim pot and it's installed in the same way.
  18. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    They do not work the same.

FATDUC
    The fatduc provides little description of what it does other than saying that it's :

" ... O2 Manipulators work by altering the oxygen sensor output voltage. This slight reduction in voltage forces the ECU to add additional fuel. ... "

Altering the O2 sensor voltage (reducing it) works on some Harley Davidson motorcycles with Delphi ECU, if done in a specific way. Nightrider.com has a patent on that technique.

AF-XIED
    Most ecus ignore a simple voltage scaling because most O2 sensors normally change voltage with time and exhaust temperature. The AF-XIED for BMW (which is the model sold for terra 650) works on an entirely different principal. It monitors all voltages, recalculated the transit to point from lambda=1 to e.g. Lambda =0.95, then it outputs a full voltage signal.
  19. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    For those who haven't heard, ADVRider is going to be changing forum platforms. This means that many of the links that are written in HTML will be rendered useless. If you want to be able to refer to TR650 Thread Index or the OEM/Interchangeable Parts index in the future you should open them in links provided in signature line (yes, they are written in HTML) and copy them to your clipboard to save them.

This way you can still see the page numbers and what the page number refers to, in the original indexes.
  20. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles: