Add Second Cooling Fan...FE 501

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Austin217, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Austin217 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2016 FE 501
    Does anyone know if you can fit a stock cooling fan on the left side radiator? It looks like there is a pre drilled hole where you can rivet in the bracket, but the gas tank is also slightly closer to the radiator on the left side and I'm not sure a second husky fan would fit in there.

Once you do fit a fan in there, is it easy to wire it into the existing fan wiring?

Lastsly to anyone who has done this, where did you buy your fan? Please provide links to the exact fan if possible.

My husky is a 2016
  2. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Can I ask why you need this. I live in a very hot country, am pretty heavy and do a lot of technical riding. Rarely do any of my bikes cooling fans even come on. Have you tried engine ice. If not rinse your radiator with 50/50 ionised water and white vinegar (run engieg to operating temp). flush and replace with engine ice coolant. Good luck
    Throttle on likes this.
  3. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro
    If the new KTM/Huskies fan switch screws into the radiator, one might try the low temp switch options. They turn the radiator fan on something like 25 to 30 degrees earlier. The switch runs $35 to $50 bucks for most bikes. I put ZipTy coolant in our 511 and 310 - never have smelled fluid from the overflow in any conditions and I am a big guy that probably taxes the cooling capacity. Wish I had a 501 too!
    Throttle on likes this.
  4. Throttle on Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Wr 250r 94Kx 500, Xr650r
    The cooling systems on the street legal dual sport Husqvarna and KTM's here in the United States have a few absurd restrictions built-in. One is the stock thermostat. most serious off-road riders and racers are removing these thermostats and replacing it with a Samco hose kit designed for this. race bikes don't come with the cooling thermostat's. apparently the part is a significant coolant flow restrictor. in my case the thermal switch that automatically operates the fan took a crap shortly after I bought the bike. I decided to eliminate the manual thermostat switch and add a manual switch and while I was at it add an additional fan and a higher pressure radiator cap as well as the performance propyleneglycol coolant. I do run my bike pretty hard. once I made these modifications I have had no problems with my bike running hot and I am happy with the modifications. I have heard testimonials of people's KTM and Husqvarna dual sport 500s running hot and spewing their coolant through the radiator caps even with a properly operating thermo switch.
  5. Throttle on Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's great someone's making an aftermarket thermal switch! in my case when I went to replace the part with the OEM KTM part I found the price to be a bit steep and therefore chose to just re-designed the whole fan system. really didn't cost me much more than what KTM wanted for the thermo switch. I really prefer my manual switch set up over the automatic thermo switch. I pretty much run them full-time once the bike is warmed up unless I'm on the highway running at sustained freeway speed. The fans are very durable and designed for continuous use there really not hurting anything running continuously.
  6. Throttle on Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    Try Summit racing USA. I don't have an exact part number for you but their online catalog is real easy to use if you look up electric fans you can select the type of fan whether it's a pusher or a puller. the fans size and diameter as well as its CFM rating. Summit does a real good job of providing part dimensions You should be able to find one that's close to the width of your radiator. DC wiring is pretty straightforward. If you do not understand or or not familiar with the basic theory of electricity you should find a good book or have somebody help you. I wired my fans positive wires directly to the bikes battery. Use a properly sized in-line fuse on the positive leads. I ran the black or negative wires from the fans to a good solid groundI believe I used one of the bolts that attaches the coil to the frame as a ground. somewhere here I saw someone used a pretty Sano handlebar mounted switch for their fan set up. The handlebars on my bike are a bit too congested for this with the dual sport lightning controls and mirror mounts. I mounted mine to part of the headlight shell and it's pretty easy to reach I know where it is I can find it by Brielle quickly while riding