ABS acting up

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Andrew P, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    So I have a Strada with ABS and have the 18” and 21” terra wheels set that I just put on.. so was test riding and the abs lights wants to stay on. Sometimes it will flash and go off, but then a little bit down the road it will come on. Does the bigger wheels mess with the computer? I’ve literally only gone about 5 miles of testing so far. Also, when the abs is on, it’s super sensitive on the front.
  2. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    You need to disable ABS at start. The 19 to 21 and 17 to 18 change mess up the parameters. The bike will think that the back tire is constantly going faster than the front, so every time you break ABS is triggered.
  3. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Gotcha, so no abs with this set of wheels on?
  4. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
  5. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    I'd check the air gap between the sensor and toner wheel on both wheels. I think it's should be between .004 - .040 inches. I'm running 17's on my Strada and the Abs works fine.
  6. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Yeas they were working fine with the stock 17-18” set up but now I have the 18-21” set up.
  7. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
  8. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
  9. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    i'm far from an expert on ABS bikes but since it came with the switch from the factory i'd assume it's ok to ride it switched off.
  10. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Not really
  11. Martinehijo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada 2013
    After changing the tires on my Strada, ABS became unstable going on and off erratically. Thought it was because a decompensation on the ABS pump happened when the wheels were taken off, but later I noticed that the tone wheel on the rear was bended a little bit, just enough to mess up the sensor. It seems that the mechanic bended it when he was struggling to place the tire on the rim, so he bended the tone wheel back to its original position with a screwdriver and ABS issues disappeared.
    So in conclusion, I´m sharing this experience hoping it can be usefull.
    Cheers!
  12. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Glad you got it handled! Mine just happens to be the different sized wheels... so no abs until summer!
  13. MookieWilson Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    sxv,cb
    When I got my current Strada it had a spoked 21" front and a 18" rear. The wheels were built with bmw hubs and abs rings. My abs worked just fine. Since then I've swapped to an oem Strada 19" front and a Honda 17" rear that I mounted the stock bmw abs ring to. Again, no problems at all with the abs. As Mysery1 said, the spacing between the abs ring and the sensor that reads it is important. I think the manual says .1-1mm. I bent one while putting on the front wheel, straightened it, and it worked fine.