1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

A nice runner and two projects....

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by steve1970, May 2, 2023.

1. steve1970 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 430 CR, 84 500 XC, 2023 501 FEs
    Other Motorcycles:
    1997 YZ 125
    Hi All,

Long - sorry!

I figured it would be rude to just start asking questions without an intro and a couple bike pics to keep it interesting. I've got a 1982 430 CR (the runner), a 1981 430 CR (project 1) and most of a 1982 250 WR (maybe project 2). I ride modern dirt bikes as well but I wanted to get back on the bikes that were around when I was a teenager that were beyond the range of both my wallet and my ability back then. Been looking at old Huskys for years and just like cats, once I got one, others just started appearing....

The runner - The 1982 430 CR runs strong and is a great bike. My plan is to ride, enjoy and upgrade/repair as needed over the next 6 months or so and then do a little non serious vintage desert racing and see how that goes.

Project 1 - The '81 430 CR just kind of came across my radar screen while I was searching for parts for the '82 and I picked it up, it looked like a good project to resurrect and its fairly complete, so parting out would be criminal IMO.... a rescue was always the plan for this one. Non running but the engine turns and the shifter actuates. I'm not a 100 point restoration guy, I like to ride my bikes so it will be a "make her real pretty and ride/maintain her" bike.

Project 2 - The 82 250 WR had a locked up 81/82 430 XC/WR 2086 engine in its frame and 35mm forks from an earlier bike, all loosely bolted on and the original 250 engine was missing. The original forks were included however and seem to be serviceable. I bought this as a parts bike initially but I am considering a rebuild eventually...it will be a slow motion acquisition of 250 engine parts and we'll see where it goes. Definitely on the back burner compared to the other two.

The 430 XC/WR engine that was wedged into the 250 WR was (luckily) not too far gone as far as rot and is getting rebuilt and will get put into the '82 CR so that I have a fully rebuilt, strong engine in known condition to work with as I get the whole bike dialed in the way I want it. I think the XC/WR gearing will be better for desert use as well. I'll keep the original CR engine around and it will get rebuilt eventually.

I've already got some stuff underway, both project bikes have been disassembled/photographed and parts organized/stored.

Half the reason I made this post was to help me sort out the priorities and plans by getting all this down in writing in one place....

Attached Files:

flyingbob, mysery1 and 2premo like this.