1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

95' TE410 Starting and smooth runing issues

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Mazhasai, May 22, 2015.

1. Mazhasai Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE410 '96
    Hello, I'm new proud owner of old 95' Husky TE410. But I have some problems with it.
    First one: it's hard to start. Maybe i am bad kicker, because it is first bike with kickstart. My technique is to kick 2-3 times with decompressor fully open, then put cylinder on TDC and kick as hard as i can and open a throttle a bit at the same time and pray to petrol gods to make it start. On failure I repeat same procedure. When it is finally started, the difficult part begins - it wont keep idle revs - engine shut offs randomly (may be running for 1 minute, 5 minutes or half a minute). When keeping higher revs with throttle - no shut off. Cold or hot - when i pull out choke lever engine shut off as well. Another problem is with smooth runing - with 1st gear engine runing seems fine, but puting in 2nd gear - it feels like that spark plug is not always working, misfiring or fuel mixture is too rich. I tried changing spark plug, take bike to the workshop to get carb and valve clearance adjusted. It started to start a bit easier, but they could'nt fix issues. I hope maybe you guys, could give some advices what to check first. Greetings from Lithuania :)
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

There was a factory update to add a ground from the CDI bracket on the front triple clamps to the frame. The point of the update was to improve starting from the weak ground thru the steering bearings. If the bike has this I would check the magnet ring in the flywheel, it can com loose and rotate out of time. You will have to pull the flywheel to do this. I would also look at the intake manifold just for the heck of it since the bike is 20 years old.
  3. Mazhasai Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE410 '96
    Thanks for reply, I'll be in garage on monday, i will check ground connection and magnets, i hope it will be simple solution to problem. I'll post results :)
  4. Shovelhead85 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400R, '75 DT400B, FLH Shovel, CT90
    I have no experience with this model; that being said, most 4t starting procedures emphasize kicking with NO throttle. Sounds like you have an idle circuit problem also (pilot jet or air leak perhaps- runs with choke only) which is going to make starting difficult to begin with. On top of that, there is possibly an intermittent electrical problem.

Start with fresh, clean gas and work each problem from there.

good luck.
  5. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The husky 350/410 models actually liked a little throttle as you kick but not before !
  6. Mazhasai Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE410 '96
    Well, seems like I have a common problem with magnets. Ordered flywheel puller from eBay, next week I should get it and remove flywheel for closer inspection and repair. I read somewhere, that this problem caused by moist (flywheel cover is not sealed) and heat from engine and to prevent corrosion it is advised to make vent/breather for cover, but I couldn't find any description or mod on how to properly do that. I wonder would it be enough to add some sort of little hose like in fuel tank breather?

And yes, my 410 wont even start to start without a bit open throttle. I open throttle at same time as I kick. I hope I wont need that after magnet fix. Thanks for your responses and help.
    I'll post my results after I fix my bike for future generations :)
    justintendo likes this.
  7. Mazhasai Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE410 '96
    Ok, so today I received flywheel puller (28mm x 1.5 by the way). Magnets of course was loose like cheap girl from brothel. I removed magnets completely, cleaned up rust, put back together, found master magnet (has a little bit deeper hole than rest of them) ant tried to align with arrow (which is 40 deg). Taped magnets with powertape just to check positioning and tried to start bike with no success. Then tried to put master magnet to 30 deg. Again taped with powertape and tried to start engine. Engine cranked up a bit, but immediately stopped. Checked magnets - powertape was torn. Repeated steps above with 30 deg and more tape. Engine started from the first kick. After I turned off engine and tried to start engine, had no luck. Decided to remove flywheel again and saw that woodruff key is bent and it wasn't before, thats for sure. I don't know why this happened - maybe just coincidence? Or maybe it is some deeper problems? I'll try to make or find to buy new woodruff key, while set of new woodruff keys are arriving from ebay. Maybe you want to share your thoughts about my situation?
  8. Mazhasai Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE410 '96
    By the way - my flywheel part number is 31-72-2000, it's painted black. Does ignition timing (degrees) differ for each flywheel? What should it be?
  9. Mazhasai Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE410 '96
    So, my bike is up and runing. Center of trigger magnet was set to 30 degrees. Starts from the first kick. I had fun riding 2 km when cam chain broke... So now I have 2 broken exhaust valves, bent cam chain sprocket and hole in cam cover. I found to buy cylinder head and cover from TE 610, would it fit on my TE 410?