1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

'87 XC First Outing

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by motorick, Oct 25, 2018.

1. motorick Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400 CR, 1987 250 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Norton Commando
    Finally got this beast registered (hassle in CA...). Took it out for it's 1st shakedown and was pleasantly surprised! Fired right up, strong power for a 250, no significant oil leaking. Issues to solve:
    1. front brake doesn't have a lot of feel. Seems like it's either not working or locking up (didn't do anything with the front brake yet)
    2. have exhaust / oil leak at front header mount (did not use any type of gasket sealing when reinstalling repaired pipe)
    3. slight bog when getting on the throttle (haven't played with the lectron adjustments)
    4. Clutch isn't fully engaging when snicked into 1st gear (i.e. it want to start going!) . Just installed brand new clutch plates from Phil at Husqvarna-Parts.
    Biggest issue is the clutch, as I'd like to be able to pull in the lever without stalling at rest in gear. Welcome to any & all advice : )
    Rick

Attached Files:

2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    the 87-88 250 mill is one of huskys best...there should be crisp throttle response with this one once you are jetted close.

have you performed the clutch adjustment procedure using the pushrod in the center of the basket? should have 4mm or a tad less of play with cable disconnected measured at the end of the actuating arm. what are you using for oil?
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  3. motorick Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400 CR, 1987 250 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Norton Commando
    I'm using ATF type "F" for oil. I thought I'd gotten it adjusted correctly, but obviously not. Have new steel & barnett plates. Love that the lectron is so simple and easier to use at my altitude (6k lake tahoe) and still let me play in the Nevada desert : )
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    good move in my opinion going with the steel plates..it may never be 100%, but you should be able to start it in gear and have no creep in gear. ive noticed the oil looks much cleaner using the steel plates as well..
    obviously with the clutch adjustment i described disconnect the cable from the magura lever first. you are still using magura powerlevers right? i believe you must use the original magura long throw lever for these clutches to work correctly..
  5. motorick Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400 CR, 1987 250 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Norton Commando
    My bikes acquired the "shorty" levers somewhere in its life, with the front brake lever missing the 'ball'. I'll try to pick up a longer clutch lever asap. thx!
  6. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S

Justintendo is 100% correct, they are a brilliant motor! And yes, you need a Magura lever/perch, it made all the difference to my clutch, no more dragging......
    Tony.
    wrx and motorick like this.
  7. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    If its 2-stroke oil then once you have it running strong i.e. proper jetting and ignition timing the oil should disappear all together from the exhaust. If it doesn't then it more than likely gearbox oil which requires the left side crank seal and/or center case gasket be replaced. At this point its a good idea to just replace all seals and gaskets.
    motorick likes this.