87 510

Discussion in 'Older Single cams' started by Dan Gavin, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Dan Gavin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1979 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many
    Im looking at doing some engine work on my 1987 510TE and got everything I need from dealer except the right side countershaft bearing (bearing at the countershaft sprocket). Dealer says this bearing is no longer available. Does anyone know of a source? Would it likely be available from a bearing supply house?
  2. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    That is SKF part number "NU 205 ECP" if it's the same as in my 1989 510TE. Still available!
  3. Dan Gavin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1979 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many
    Okay-thanks Krudd. The parts catalog says 89 is a different bearing as its a later design using a roller bearing with an external seal installed from outside of the engine case. The 87, AFAIK, has a bearing (sealed ball???) with no external seal. BUT, if they used the same size bearing in the later design 25 x 52 x 15 then a sealed ball bearing of that size is readily available through bearing supply house. So, I'm a little more confident in going in to this engine. Can anyone add anything? Any 510 gurus out there? Im wondering if it's possible to go to the later design and use the external seal ,Part 17? maybe have to machine the opening in the right case to fit the external seal ?