1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

87 510 cam chain ?s

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 86 400 XC, Jul 16, 2016.

1. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    My chain seems to be a little stretched. when i had the the clutch cover off.
    Also the chain hits the oil screen, so it must be done.
    Ready to buy 1 from HVA. but
    My queston is, do i have to change sprockets too or a just a chain?
    Also trying to get some decompression parts for the bike.
    It has all been taking off before i got it. Should get the parts that work off kicker or set up a lever on the bars?

thanks
  2. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I change only the chain and have only a decompressor on the bars.
    86 400 XC likes this.
  3. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The decompression cable by the kick start wore out/broke. I gave it to a shop to make another one but they never did, I have only had the one on the bar for a long time.

I have changed the cam chain a few times, the last time I suspected the genuine part from Hall's was not that great and got a 10 foot piece in a box from a bearing distributor. I think it was Tsubaki. The box only comes with one master link. The aluminum sprocket on the cam looks fine. I do not know how the surface that the adjuster forces against the chain is, that may be the problem though it hasn't needed replacement since the last time. I moved the license plate onto something else so it isn't entered in events any more. I got a used screen thing but never installed it. I would expect the sprocket on the crank to be steel.
    86 400 XC likes this.
  4. PEZBerq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    390AMX, 430XC, 240WR, 2x510TE, FE501
    I simply buy a good quality chain from an engineering supplier and you have enough for several cam chains. I use Black Diamond brand - a UK manufactured chain. You can buy it in 10 ft lengths. Part No D-06B -1-R . You simply use a small chain breaker to get the length you need (or a grinder to remove the pins). You will get 2 chains - possibly 3 from a 10 ft roll.

The sprockets should be OK as they spend there life well lubricated. I have replaced cam chains but never a sprocket ..... yet. Make sue you fit the join link the right way. Refer to the manual.

One my 87 model the kick start operation works well but is not really essential. The hand lever will work fine.

However on my aircooled model the kick start operation was actually a problem as it allowed you to kick it with the piston at any place in the stroke. The bike was hard to start. Once I ditched the kicker device and simply used the hand operated release it forced me to have the piston in the correct spot ( just past the compression) and it starts much easier.

I do note that the 87 model has a better gear ratio on the kick start mechanism and you get more crank rotation per kick than the earlier models.
    RUF and 86 400 XC like this.
  5. rwgregory Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 500XC, 1987 510TX, 1990 510WMX
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 Honda CR250,'88 CR500,'92 XR600
    I agree with all of the aforementioned comments. You should not have to change the sprockets unless they are very worn and starting to hook. FYI; the service limit on the cam chain is 773.5 mm measured between the centers of the holes for the masterlink with the chain laid out flat. Also inspect the chain tensioner for wear where the chain rubs up against it, it should not be down to bare metal.

As to the compression release, I did away with the kick start actuated apparatus years ago and only use the lever on the bars. It works just fine to roll the engine over to prime it for cold starting and to find TDC.

For what it's worth I suggest you give George at Up-Tite in Santa Ana, CA a call and pick his brain about your newly aquired 510. His phone # is 714-540-2920. In my opinion he is THE go-to guy for Sweede thumpers. Perhaps he could shed some light on your overheating, starting and stalling issues...
    86 400 XC likes this.
  6. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    So i pulled some parts off and the chain is out and its over the max size.
    Tensioner pad and sprockets looks fine still.
    I think i should pull the head off and change the head gasket and take the cylinder off to clean and inspect the water jackets around the piston.
    Can the water jackets trap sludge or dirt and reduce cooling? in the pics of the repair manual it looks possible.
    To time it now again i have a question
    I can tell where the cam needs to be for the chain, lobes to sides and sprocket bolts level with head right?
    Piston TDC with allen wrench in plug hole for indicator, but how to time the ignition or does it make spark on every TDC not every 2nd time around?

Thanks
  7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It sparks every time if I remember correctly, and you are correct sprocket bolts level with the head and lobes down & TDC.
    86 400 XC likes this.
  8. PEZBerq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    390AMX, 430XC, 240WR, 2x510TE, FE501
    Correct. Fires every stroke, cam sprocket bolts level with half joint.
  9. rwgregory Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 500XC, 1987 510TX, 1990 510WMX
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 Honda CR250,'88 CR500,'92 XR600
    To set timing you will need to use a rev counter,(tach) and a timing light. If you have the Husky workshop manual,(part # 15 17 544-01) this procedure is spelled out in detail on page 20.

Removing the cylinder and head to check the water jackets for possible blockage sounds like a good move considering the goofy water hose set up on the bike when you got it. Who knows what could have gotten in there... Also check the radiators for any build up or blockage...
    RUF, DaveM and 86 400 XC like this.
  10. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    well here is some updates, thanks for the help guys!

Chain is at 776mm so a little over.
    cylinder was clean and not too much corrossion. Head and base gasket had silicone all over it so it was reused i assume. Maybe it had comperssion pushing past the head gasket and into the cooling system under hard throttle and would cause the coolant to piss out like it was over heating.

I think the piston may be bad, never seen play like this before on any piston.

View: https://youtu.be/B81mLuWSoEA
    RUF likes this.
  11. crew67lm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 430CR
    Good Lord,are you lucky! That was a bomb with a lit fuse!
    Can't believe it wasn't knocking.
    RUF and 86 400 XC like this.
  12. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys

No knock but did seem loud if the idle was too high.
  13. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    So what does a guy do for a piston with this nikasil coating?
    Get a standard size? my cylinder wall is in nice condition.
    Do i find a shop for a quick hone for the new rings or not?

thanks
    RUF likes this.
  14. RUF Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 air, 400WR 85, 430WR 87
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R80GS, GILERA 175RC 1972........
    :eek::eek:!!!
    Next step should have been like that...

Attached Files:

15. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Every water cooled 430 that was not an automatic that I remember taking apart has had the wristpin hole oblonged like shown in post #10. Probably not as extreme. There is even a spot in the piston for the clip should one choose to put in the earlier longer pin. They are/were competition machines for the original owner to go out and chase trophies. I remember the dealer at the time not too happy with the four stroke purchasers riding them in similar manner to the two cycle bikes.
  16. SA63 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 510, 500 auto , 86 510
    I put a wossner piston into my LC 510, readily available
  17. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    You are certainly going to need a piston and a I'd replace the gudgeon pin just coz.
    Good find, I've never seen one that bad either.
  18. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    DeathFromAbove, RUF and ajcmbrown like this.
  19. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Great looking bike you have there!
    86 400 XC likes this.
  20. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    For a '89 510TE, does anyone know how many rollers a stock cam chain should have?