1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

86 430 Auto radiator overflow bottle question...

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by everfree, Aug 21, 2016.

1. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    I'm trying to connect up the radiator overflow bottle to the radiators on my '86 430 Auto.
    The radiators each have an overflow tube connect and the rad cap has one too. Total of 3 hoses out of the top of the radiators.
    The overflow bottle has only 1 hose connection.

top of the radiators, notice the 3 small hose connections.
    IMG_2067.JPG

the stock Husky overflow bottle, notice only one hose connection...
    IMG_2069.JPG

How do I connect this bottle up? All 3 rad hoses into the bottle?
    The parts manuals don't show the bottle or how to connect it. Thanks.
  2. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

the two top ones are a cross over (c0nnect and run through frame) the one under cap is flow a bottle if you want to use one
  3. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks, Joe. Yeah, I noticed the two top ones connect together.
    Thinking about this some more... connecting the overflow bottle, will make this a closed cooling system... not sure that's a good idea... the overflow bottle is too small.
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    perhaps the auto is different and runs hotter, but i have never had a swede boil on me..i usually keep my speeds up a bit but do single track some. i doubt you will have any cooling system issues with or without the tank unless you are pressing the bike into the competition it was originally designed for in 1985/86 and doing it hard. i dont even have overflow hoses attached on any of my liquid swedes.
  5. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    justintendo, my non-Auto swedes have never boiled over either. No overflow hoses on mine.

Apparently the LC Auto on the other hand, can boil over. My '86 Auto came with an overflow bottle (which I'm re-installing). Husqvarna knew that overheating was a potential problem after many years of building Autos. I have an Cycle magazine review from 1986 complaining about the Auto boiling over and the bottle not being large enough.

Like you say, I'll be fine unless I really push it. So far so good.
  6. Rowan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 430 auto
    My '87 has an identical bottle attached to the front down-tube. I have always had it installed (I never knew otherwise). I always keep my bottle about 1/3 full when cold. There are a couple of small valves installed inside the black cap.
    I have never boiled mine - even in the messiest of going. I am getting too old to push it hard.

Rowan
  7. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rowan, thanks for the info. Very helpful.
    I looked closer at my overflow bottle. I thought the bottle cap sealed tight, but it doesn't.

As you say, there are 2 small spring-type valves in the cap. And the cap itself has 4 notched gaps in the threads to let steam/water pressure escape when the valves unseal the cap, I assume. So with the bottle in place, it's not a closed system which was my concern. There is a pressure release mechanism with the bottle in the system. The bottle captures hot overflow and lets it cool, where a siphon effect sucks it back into the rads, so you don't lose coolant... like a car rad system does.

Nice to know you have never boiled over. I'm also too old to push it hard, so no worries!
    It looks like you have a nice 87 430 Auto. I've never seen an 87 Auto in person. I've thought of moving my 86 Auto motor into an 87 frame to take advantage the better brake and suspension.
    Dave