1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

84 510TE Romper Stomper

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by husqyhamm, Jul 4, 2010.

1. husqyhamm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Quite a few 83-86 500 2Ts and 4Ts
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 R80 GS Dakar; Victory 106.
    Fellow Husky buddy calls me one day describing a bike he doesnt know. Sounded like a 4T and I said I'd take it as spares. Turns out to be abandoned, unopened, unbutchered, original and missing coil and lights.
    You dont find them like this in Africa. Restored it for a collector as a race-able museum piece like the day it came out the factory early in 84. The deal didn't go down as hoped and in one afternoon I changed it to a full racebike that comfortably runs with openclass 2Ts. She went straight from workshop, never been on dirt, to a national meeting where we romped well into the results.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. husqyhamm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Replaced those suffocating silencers with megaphones, rear fender with a TX unit, handlebars and perches, shocks with pair rebuilt to my spec, and wheels and tyres destined for my WR project which has no purpose as a showqueen.
    All parts fitted are original Husky or old stock aftermarket.
    With this done I took the virgin to a national VMX meeting where we raced all day and into the overall results being: 5th in pre89, 4th in pre85, 2nd in enduro and 1st in bike of the event.

Here she is after 1st wash, checkup, oilchange and and re-tightening of bolts. Sticker kit has since been fitted and shes ready for next meeting.
    [IMG]
  3. husqyhamm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Frame no: WO 12143
    Engine no: 2095 0581

[IMG]
  4. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great find...NICE..

you have a pm
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    What a cool bike. :thumbsup:
  6. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It came from the french importer, the SIMA, at Beaune France.
    You have the ignition of thr early 510 83/84.
    In 84 hva put an inverted ignition.
    Where did you get your megaphone ?
  7. husqyhamm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Michel,
    due to politics of the time and sanctions I'm sure the dealer sourced or routed bikes and paperwork via other international channels.

I recently had a 83TX come into my posession that apparently entered SA via Tanzania with a racer. This bike is fitted with all the USA desert racing bits of the time and I pirated the megaphones of it and also used its 12V Motoplat ignition which fires on the 1st power kick hot or cold.
    The megaphones have proved to be the singular biggest hp and performance maker I'v yet fitted to a standard 4T engine and I will copy them for my next projects. It transformed the TE into something that when it gets onto the cam in 4th it reels a Maico 490 in from behind. Incredibly loud. No I don't know their origin and I've never seen another set on any 4T picture.
  8. Trailridernut Husqvarna
    A Class

Nice bike, I rode one for the first time a few months ago- what a hoot!
  9. Ambo84 Husqvarna

G-day mate.
    I'm currently getting started on one of these as a race project.
    I don't have a 4 stroke frame, but with little modification to a 2 stoke frame I got hold of I soon will.
    I have decided to shy away from the original look and go with a more modernized look with should be interesting.
    Performance wise it is getting the royal treatment.
    I will be running it on alcohol for more punch to be able to keep up with/ beet the big bore 2 strokes.
    This should be Fun.
  10. husqyhamm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ambro

These bikes beat bigbore 2Ts because of their incredible ease of riding and super power delivery out of a stock engine thats 100% sorted with some particular detail to induction and exhaust.

I have engines with ported big valve heads, squirter carbs, trick exhausts etc like on my classwinning 86tx, as well as the 83tx im currently building. From experience i prefer this quite stock 84TE baby (particularly on tight hardpack tracks) and it was never intended that way but something thats super smooth, revs to kingdom come, and laps fast is the last i'll tamper with or do away with. Sure my tweaked500 2T is way faster, but it needs loootsa space to use that advantage.

I may change suspension componentry but I'm quite convinced the super trick 83TX will have a rough time putting up better times in my hands.

The moment you super modify these engines you loose that ride-ability and ease of starting which can non-start or dnf you very quickly.

These are very underestimated giant slayers and you honestly don't need to do much to extract way more than you need from these engines, which when built right lasts a damn long time too.
  11. husqyhamm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  12. husqyhamm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    First raceday of our VMX season, Sat 19Feb 2011.

Since the last pics the TE has had rear suspension changed, emulators installed in forks, rear sprocket from 48 to 53, some graphics and header pipes repainted.
    The bike is used for all my rides and also finished the race season last year in 2nd place EVO class.

[IMG]
  13. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a NOS tank for that bike!